Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christian business owners who refuse to support gay marriage be shut down by the government?
Yes 16 13.11%
No 106 86.89%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times

Advertisements

I will say this though; the business can't discriminate against a gay couple without possible legal ramifications. That being said, why would the gay couple want to patronize the business anyway? To **** the business off? Ok, I could see that. Hell, I would probably do it myself. However, I wouldn't give the business one cent. I would tell them to f.uc.k off and then leave. That's just me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I will say this though; the business can't discriminate against a gay couple without possible legal ramifications. That being said, why would the gay couple want to patronize the business anyway? To **** the business off? Ok, I could see that. Hell, I would probably do it myself. However, I wouldn't give the business one cent. I would tell them to f.uc.k off and then leave. That's just me though.
I, personally, agree.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are some gray areas. Say a photographer has a small studio. They take photos there of anyone who wants a photo. They also do events. Say a gay couple wants the photographer to do their wedding. The photographer has to attend the wedding. It is away from the business of public accommodation, the studio, yet if they don't do the wedding they would be discriminating. What if the photographer did not have a studio but did only weddings, and refused to do a gay wedding? What if they had a small studio in their basement, do they still have to do the gay wedding? I see a difference between the studio work (the public accommodation place) and work they do off site, or not directly from the store front.
If the photographer has a studio open to the public, he/she is not private. A photographer that is working from their home, not open to the public, aka private, can make any discerning factor he/she wants on who they do photos of, even if they travel to another site to do that service. I am a gardener, I work from my home, but travel to my job sites. I am not open to the public, a private business. I can pick and choose who I want to work for. One would think that because I am gay and open about it, that most of my clients would be gay. Funny thing is only one out of 25 of my clients is gay. Any way, if the local nursery that is open to the public contracts a job doing a yard, since they are not a private business and are open to the public, they do not have the right to refuse service to a client based on discriminating factors.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I would too, and tell every one of my friends about my experience with that business. No matter what the problem was.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Should Christian business owners who refuse to support gay marriage be shut down by the government?

I'm kinda thinking that instead of shutting them down, they should be encouraged to donate a portion of their profits to gay charities.

That's what Jesus would want.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
There is no such thing as a christian homsexual.
Is there such a thing as a Christian who judges what only their God has the right to judge?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
The actual results of this poll are saying something far different than the posts in this thread are. Maybe people who voted 'Yes' are just vocal.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The actual results of this poll are saying something far different than the posts in this thread are. Maybe people who voted 'Yes' are just vocal.
I didn't vote. If a business is operating in a state, they are subject to the laws of that state. If that state has anti discrimination laws then that business must follow the law or they will get fined.
We all have to follow laws some we agree with some we don't. If we don't we are going to pay the penalty. That is the price of living in a civilized society.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
If the servers are on US ground, absolutely. They are providing a public service. If a Christian homosexual wants to use the site to find other Christian homosexuals, then the site should provide.
I hope you answered yes on this poll if you didn't your clearly didn't understand the question.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I can't imagine a photographer being forced by the government to photograph gay weddings. A restaurant is different (public accommodation principle).
wrong
New Mexico photographer loses third round of gay discrimination case, but attorneys vow fight isn't over | Deseret News
Quote:
A New Mexico photo studio fined for refusing to shoot a lesbian couple's commitment ceremony has lost its third round in a legal battle that has ignited the ire of religious-freedom advocates.

PS forcing a restaurant to violate it's religious beliefs is bigoted and unconstitutional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies