Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Sure we got our guy in the White House, but did you ever expect this plethora of absolute steaming dung to go along with it?

This Gay Marriage thing has got to be the biggest waste of our time in the 200+ year history of the country.

Really, a complete non-issue like this that means absolutely NOTHING to 99% of the population is completely gridlocking the government when we have so many more important issues to deal with.

We cannot even get a basic gun restriction passed, but here they are ready to give the Gays the right to marry.

We cannot even discuss a budget but we can waste millions of taxpayer dollars discussing this ridiculous issue.

Let's just break the country up already. Let some of us have somewhere to call home that resembles remotely the US I grew up in.
1. It means something to far more than 1% of the country. I'd Google it for you, but you're perfectly capable of doing it yourself.

2. Gun control is years away, gay marriage or no gay marriage. Even some of the biggest, meanest, gun-totin'est hombres on this forum have come around to accept gay marriage. But they still worship guns. It takes time.

And yes, I'm appalled that the media and the country has already forgotten those 14 dead first-graders, and I live nearby so it's even more personal to me than to many, but I wouldn't trade this moment in history for anything.

3. Gridlock? Budget? If you're a Democrat, and now I doubt it, you know perfectly well it's not the Dems or gay marriage causing it. The color of the president's skin is the fundamental reason for all of that.

And as for the US you grew up in -- without knowing your age -- I can still safely say that finally granting basic civil rights to all citizens is FAR better than ANY time in our history. It shames me to think of the "US I grew up in" when I think of gays being persecuted -- literally -- or blacks, or natives, or women, or any of the minorities that have been legally discriminated against during my lifetime.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,517,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And it matters to me.

In fact, I consider it a highlight of the Obama years. (Not that he gets a whole lot of credit, but it wouldn't have happened under ANY Republican.)
In the 2004 campaign for President George Bush came out and said states should recognize gay marriages if they want, just call them civil unions.

Dick Cheney said he was all for gay mariage before any Democrat did.

8 or 9 years later President Obama "evolves" and takes the same position as Bush & Cheney.

And people act like he said somthing significant.

Just goes to show how moronic people are and will believe any stereotype.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,762,668 times
Worthless POS Lying *******s Obama and the Clintons whose views on Gay marriage have "EVOLVED".

Goodjob, you people get exactly what you deserve.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,968,015 times
Quote:

3. Gridlock? Budget? If you're a Democrat, and now I doubt it, you know perfectly well it's not the Dems or gay marriage causing it. The color of the president's skin is the fundamental reason for all of that.

Oh snap. She figured it out! It's a conspiracy!!!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,786,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This I agree with. Why are they the ones to decide who can marry? What is the point of marriage unless you are a religious person?

Just drop all the tax benefits for being married and let people get married for the right reasons in the eyes of God.
Religious? Wanting their marriage to be in the eyes of god but they are not religious. There are other reasons but you got it wrong when you think married people get tax benefits and just showed that either you or your other half are low income wage earners and do not understand the tax system.

Here is some reading to support my post.

When two individuals marry, their income tax liability as a married couple may exceed their combined income tax liabilities as singles. This additional tax burden resulting from marriage is referred to as a "marriage penalty" (or "marriage tax"). Marriage can also reduce the federal tax liability of two people, in which case the reduction in tax is called a "marriage bonus" (or "marriage subsidy"). More info below.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/ta

Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
In the 2004 campaign for President George Bush came out and said states should recognize gay marriages if they want, just call them civil unions.

Dick Cheney said he was all for gay mariage before any Democrat did.

8 or 9 years later President Obama "evolves" and takes the same position as Bush & Cheney.

And people act like he said somthing significant.

Just goes to show how moronic people are and will believe any stereotype.
Didn't give Obama credit, did I? All he deserves from me is that his government decided not to defend DOMA, and he eventually came around to seeing civil rights for what they are.

That said, Bush would of course still be denying marriage to gays. Cheney, like most Republicans, only supports such things if it affects him personally.

I suppose that makes me a moron to have said all the above. But I thought I'd tell you what I'm moronic for, instead of you telling me what I said.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,786,851 times
Prior to 2003, if both spouses earned about the same amount of money, then they ended up in a higher tax bracket and were penalized for being married. Actually, the smaller the difference between what they each earned, the higher the marriage penalty. However, if one spouse earned a good salary, and the other didn't, then they weren't penalized.

Marriage - By Category

Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,968,015 times
Quote:

I suppose that makes me a moron
And the truth shall set you free.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Worthless POS Lying *******s Obama and the Clintons whose views on Gay marriage have "EVOLVED".

Goodjob, you people get exactly what you deserve.
Good job, another ignorant, insensitive and cretinous reference to "retard" to mean "stupid."

Grow up.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,762,668 times
Quote:
1. It means something to far more than 1% of the country. I'd Google it for you, but you're perfectly capable of doing it yourself.

2. Gun control is years away, gay marriage or no gay marriage. Even some of the biggest, meanest, gun-totin'est hombres on this forum have come around to accept gay marriage. But they still worship guns. It takes time.

And yes, I'm appalled that the media and the country has already forgotten those 14 dead first-graders, and I live nearby so it's even more personal to me than to many, but I wouldn't trade this moment in history for anything.

And as for the US you grew up in -- without knowing your age -- I can still safely say that finally granting basic civil rights to all citizens is FAR better than ANY time in our history. It shames me to think of the "US I grew up in" when I think of gays being persecuted -- literally -- or blacks, or natives, or women, or any of the minorities that have been legally discriminated against during my lifetime.
Oh bull****. If this half black President was Republican the *******s in the Senate would be doing the exact same thing. Would be kind of hard to pull the race card then now wouldn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies