Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH? I don't know of any religious people that would call themselves religous by advocating for blacks to go to the back of the bus again, whether they be a righty or a lefty. Is this guy for real? Women should back to the kitchen? Who the hell ever said that? Immigrants to go back to their side of the border? Is he blurring the lines between legals and illegals? Me thinks so! He's a pastor? I thought pastors were supposed to be above lying and smearing people? What a despicable POS!
Exactly OG, and something else that is not being mentioned is that this is inciteful speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Oh this is rich. No the righties would NEVER use Easter as a means to attack a political side...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...elebrates.html
And? What the hell are you trying to compare here? Even that liberal nut lady no morning Joe said Google screwed up there. But its a different topic all together

Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
[MOD CUT]

The church that keeps a "presidential pew" and that has been visited by every president since James Madison?

Anyway, for those who really cannot parse a sermon properly:

"Quoting from John 20:1-18, Leon said in the same way that Jesus told Mary Magdalene not to hold on to him, it is time for conservatives to stop holding on to what he considers outdated stances in matters of race, gender equality, homosexuals and immigrants."

Makes perfect sense to me.

Obama attends Easter service; minister criticizes ‘captains of the religious right’ - The Washington Post

And, the fact that people are so defensive about this, suggests that the good reverend has struck a rather loud chord.
Why did you leave his interpretation out?

“It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling us back . . . for blacks to be back in the back of the bus . . . for women to be back in the kitchen . . . for immigrants to be back on their side of the border,” Leon said.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...Father Charlatan, Pastor Charlatan, Bishop Charlatan, Reverend Charlatan, Imam Charlatan...its all the same nonsensical drivel.

Too bad that Obama isn't smart enough to ditch all this religion foolishness and fill his time with meaningful pursuits
Why should he when he clearly likes what's being "driveled"?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
He has shown that he's able and willing (and sometimes very quick) to speak out in favor of what he supports, and vice versa.

His silence at times says a lot. It says, according to history, that he's "present".

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Why did you leave his interpretation out?

“It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling us back . . . for blacks to be back in the back of the bus . . . for women to be back in the kitchen . . . for immigrants to be back on their side of the border,” Leon said.
Why are most people talking about this sermon leaving out the fuller context. Which unfortunately we apparently don't totally have. At least in this piece from CBS we have a fuller context.

Pastor slams religious right at Obamas' Easter service - CBS News

"I hear all the time the expression 'the good old days'," Leon said. "Well, the good old days, we forget they have been good for some, but they weren't good for everybody.
"You can't go back, you can't live in the past," he added. "It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling people back...for Blacks to be back in the back of the bus, for women to be back in the kitchen, for gays to be in the closet and for immigrants to be on their side of the border."
"What you and I understand," Leon said, "is that when Jesus says, 'You can't hang onto me,' he says, 'You know it's not about the past, it's not about the before, it's not about the way things were, but about the way things can be in the now.'"

Its is a fact that those practicing Christianity have used religion as justification for oppressing blacks, denigrating women, attacking gay people and ignoring the biblical calls for how to treat the foreigner and alien in your community.

I've also heard more than once people expressing fondness for the "the good old days" and wishing we could return to those "good old days." Well those days actually weren't so good.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
..................like golf, Hawaii, Martha's Vineyard, filling out his NCAA brackets....................
Yep...all more meaningful pursuits than wasting your time listening to some clown in a pulpit talk about fairytales. At least golf, Hawaii, the Vinyard, and NCAA brackets are real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
The POTUS is a highly visible public figure. I'm sure he loves the face time. He also speaks of God now and then. It's fair game. And the phrase 'church and state' does not exist in the Constitution.
Doesn't matter. Keeping them separate is a good idea anyway to anyone with commons sense.

That is of course, unless you wanna legislate the literal Bible into our laws.

If so, can we stone adulterers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Christians are to judge actions, behavior, attitudes, etc. but not the individual. So, asking whether someone is a Christian without understanding what it means to be a Christian is moot.

Christians are supposed to be discerning, which involves judgment. Most secular people can't discern between the two. They love to quote "thou shalt not judge" without understanding what it means.
From what i've seen, the Christian "power of discernment" ain't all that impressive...certainly not enough to be experts at judging behavior. Especially considering the history of Christianity.

I mean, i'm supposed to trust the judgement of someone that thinks a man walked on water, raised a dead man, turned a single fish into billions of fish, parted the Red Sea, and built the Earth in 7 days? Not to mention the ones of you that think the Earth is less than 10.000 years old?

I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I don't recall criticism of the church. It's the pastor's choice of subject matter, and attack on conservatives on Easter, no less, that is the subject of discussion.
Why not attack conservatism on Easter? Does Easter belong to conservatives or something?

If something is the truth (in that pastor's mind anyway), what difference does it make when it's said?
Quote:
He should because he's an educated man, not a troglodyte. I don't have the benefit of a double Ivy education and even i know better than to believe in that nonsense.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Why are most people talking about this sermon leaving out the fuller context. Which unfortunately we apparently don't totally have. At least in this piece from CBS we have a fuller context.

Pastor slams religious right at Obamas' Easter service - CBS News

"I hear all the time the expression 'the good old days'," Leon said. "Well, the good old days, we forget they have been good for some, but they weren't good for everybody.
"You can't go back, you can't live in the past," he added. "It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling people back...for Blacks to be back in the back of the bus, for women to be back in the kitchen, for gays to be in the closet and for immigrants to be on their side of the border."
"What you and I understand," Leon said, "is that when Jesus says, 'You can't hang onto me,' he says, 'You know it's not about the past, it's not about the before, it's not about the way things were, but about the way things can be in the now.'"

Its is a fact that those practicing Christianity have used religion as justification for oppressing blacks, denigrating women, attacking gay people and ignoring the biblical calls for how to treat the foreigner and alien in your community.

I've also heard more than once people expressing fondness for the "the good old days" and wishing we could return to those "good old days." Well those days actually weren't so good.
There was plenty of good about those days, there was plenty of bad about those days as well. We want the good parts back, ya' know the parts where people got married before they started families.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He should because he's an educated man, not a troglodyte. I don't have the benefit of a double Ivy education and even i know better than to believe in that nonsense.
Jeez, I certainly hope that you have informed the over 80% of the people that you know that they are cavemen.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
There was plenty of good about those days, there was plenty of bad about those days as well. We want the good parts back, ya' know the parts where people got married before they started families.
Yes, there were. I don't want the bad parts back either but we have moved so far away from the good parts that this country is hardly recognizable anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies