Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If you haven't done research, you are entering at a very high risk.
If you haven't done research, anything is high risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
I am the offspring of a person who ran a failed business because someone suggested to that person to start a business.

It's not that simple to just start a business. You must not only have an idea, but you must have capital, access to expertise, and knowledge of the market. Many businesses fail out there because they haven't done the research on how to make their business thrive.

All the different topics that relate to business:

minimum wage
union greed
corporate greed
healthcare
government regulations

...An opinion on these topics is supposed to be defended without having to resort to tell someone to start their own business.

If you have to tell someone to start their own business to make a point then all you're saying is you think you are arguing with someone that doesn't have knowledge on how to run a business.

Buy a lawnmower and advertise to mow lawns. Congratulations. You are now a business owner. It's not that hard.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
You say that to the idiots who took none of the risk, had none of the ideas, and did none of the initail legwork who sit there and insist the guy who did that owes him something.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is an internet forum. I'm not stupid enough to believe that anyone on C-D tells actual business owners how to run their business.
Well, actually, that is one of the things I do professionally -- business development, feasibility studies, strategic planning, new services development and coaching new business start ups.

So yes, some of us do know how to not only run our own businesses successfully - we are able to assist others with running theirs, as well.

I have basically worked with not-for-profits the last 20 years but have started working with more home-based businesses/entrepreneurs since the recession (2008).

Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, actually, that is one of the things I do professionally -- business development, feasibility studies, strategic planning, new services development and coaching new business start ups.

So yes, some of us do know how to not only run our own businesses successfully - we are able to assist others with running theirs, as well.

I have basically worked with not-for-profits the last 20 years but have started working with more home-based businesses/entrepreneurs since the recession (2008).
Maybe...maybe not.

I'll leave it at that.

Not to cast aspersions on you personally because you seem to be genuine.

I've just bumped into far too many rich business owners on CD, and after a certain point, I gotta start taking it with a grain of salt. Plus I'm sorta cynical anyway.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Buy a lawnmower and advertise to mow lawns. Congratulations. You are now a business owner. It's not that hard.
Where do you advertise?
How much work will it take you to make profit?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
I am the offspring of a person who ran a failed business because someone suggested to that person to start a business.

It's not that simple to just start a business. You must not only have an idea, but you must have capital, access to expertise, and knowledge of the market. Many businesses fail out there because they haven't done the research on how to make their business thrive.

All the different topics that relate to business:

minimum wage
union greed
corporate greed
healthcare
government regulations

...An opinion on these topics is supposed to be defended without having to resort to tell someone to start their own business.

If you have to tell someone to start their own business to make a point then all you're saying is you think you are arguing with someone that doesn't have knowledge on how to run a business.
I see no reason not to when their gripe is about who they work for and now they run their business.Actually like after the 70's recession many will be looking at just that if they want to succeed. That recession created a revolution in small business. If they can then they need to seriously consider it.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
I quit working for contractors who new less than me 25 yrs ago and have been making more money as a carpenter ever since.The liability ins is expensive but it lets you step foot on a job. I do my own taxes in 2 days and write off everything including 27% of my home.It aint that hard you just need to depend on yourself instead of forever being dependent on an employer like they are your mommy or daddy.Guess thats why the big boy contractors call us independents.I barely graduated high school and make a great living working 6 mos a year without unemployment benifits. Would never trade it for being a 9 to 5 slave ever,never.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
It IS hard to compete with illegals.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Starting a business is high risk and requires start up capital. If someone is not doing well financially, I would not reccommend starting a business.

One needs to take things one step at a time-

move to where the jobs are
get an education in an area of high demand that pays well (healthcare, engineering)
consider a trade school for electrician, plumbing, specialized welding (oil fields have demand)
Once a small nest of capital has been acquired, that is the time to consider a business in area in which you are an "expert".

PS- lay off the drugs, booze, and don't get divorced. Those are all wealth killers.
Best post I have ever read by you hawkeye.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies