Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is an internet forum. I'm not stupid enough to believe that anyone on C-D tells actual business owners how to run their business.
And yet we see people on internet forums after getting off their shift at McDonalds proposing how others should run their business all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM

149 posts, read 343,361 times
I have had 5 small business.The first one being at 19.I have learned valueable lessons with each one.The last one being the most successful.I enjoyed every one of them.I started with a Ice Cream/Hamburger Stand then later a Wholesale Business followed by a Retail shop,a Craft Shop and the last one a Mom and Pop Grocery/Deli.
I owned and operated all of them myself except for the last one,I had to hire help here.Too much for one person.
If the Lord is willing I plan to do two more before I leave this world.I will wait untill we move back to Ky. to start these.
People will always eat,and pay for good food.
A small Hamburger Stand is what I will return too.I have a great location which we own.We are from this area so we are already known.
I wish I was already there makeing my special 1lb.burgers now.I will carry with me everything I have learned from past mistakes,being careful not to repeat them.And the knowledge of all of my in's and out's that makes a business come together.
a GOOD LOCATION,HARD WORK,RIGHT amount of Capital and a friendly and honest attitude along with keeping up with all of your business details. I can see where I made past mistakes and this time Im ready with the Eye Of The Tiger!!lol

Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree, shockingly!

On the ed forum, people suggest starting a business instead of going to college, which I think is nuts. I really wish Bill Gates (who came from a life of privilege) had finished college b/c so many use him as an example of not needing a college education to start a business.
So you'd rather distort the facts to fit the narrative, instead of show the truth, which is you CAN be a success without a college education.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, the guy that runs a successful multi-billion dollar company should be paid "in-line" with the regular employees?

Define "in-line" and "regular" worker.

GE had Net Income Available to Common stock 14.68B

The company, which makes products ranging from light bulbs to jet engines, gave Immelt a pay package valued at nearly $20.6 million
General Electric in 2012 boosted CEO compensation - CBS News

"General Electric Co. Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Immelt's compensation fell 24 percent in 2011 after it spiked in 2010.

Is the guy who works loading boxes in the warehouse a "regular" employee? How about the janitor who cleans the office? Or even the guy on the assembly line?

Are they "worth" millions?

Are the "regular" workers willing to take a 24% CUT if the company doesn't do well?

Do you ANY idea of the disparity in worker pay with a company like GE?

Statements like yous makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. And shows a TOTAL lack of knowledge on the subject.
Are they willing to work weekends and nights without extra pay? Get called at all hours? Do other than "their job" to make sure the company is a success?

I think we all know the answer is no. Regular workers want a redistribution of wealth, but never want the redistribution of risk, responsibility or hours.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Are they willing to work weekends and nights without extra pay? Get called at all hours? Do other than "their job" to make sure the company is a success?

I think we all know the answer is no. Regular workers want a redistribution of wealth, but never want the redistribution of risk, responsibility or hours.
Most CEO's and certainly owners of businesses work 50 - 60 hours a week with no "overtime" pay.

Heaven forbid they give up a "break".

Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And yet we see people on internet forums after getting off their shift at McDonalds proposing how others should run their business all the time.
Is that what you're REALLY angry about? People leaving you alone on your shift at the fryer while they go run off to chat on internet forums?

Why don't you tell the boss? I would if i were you.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
I didn't say anything about "protecting the rich". Just that whenever I engage a liberal on stuff like wealth, sooner or later they begin to show signs of jealousy and resentment. They won't come right out with it, some times it can take days of talking with one before they outright say "they don't deserve that wealth, I DO!!".

And why is it that every time we on the right advocate for low to no taxes (the very poor) on all, rich, poor, middle, whatever, that we don't want higher taxes on no one, not ever Bill Gates, then somehow we are "worshiping and protecting the rich"?.

It's not that we are trying to "protect the rich". It's just that we don't we don't have time for these silly class warfare tactics that won't even work. "Just raise some taxes on the rich and everything will be fine", when it has been shown that people of all income brackets will change things up to avoid those new higher taxes. So while liberals insist that its the "fair" thing to do, the damn plan won't even work. It's not about "protecting" anyone. It's about what will work in the real world of economics and equality. Something the left claims to be about.

Not to mention that those higher taxes tend to get passed on to the lower classes, either through raising the price of goods or simply scaling back business activities to the point of sitting on over a trillion dollars in cash. But if liberals could see pass their noses they would have noticed that. Or maybe they do know, just don't care as long as they stick it to the rich. And if you mention it, well you're just trying to "protect the rich". Yeah, economic history and equality before the law have nothing to do with it. I'm just trying to "protect the rich". Sure kiddo.

And I am doing quite fine. If I had "perpetual bills", this would be the last place I would be at. If I had "perpetual bills" I might even be inclined to come to these forums and whine about my "fair share" because those "evil rich" aren't paying me what I am entitled to so that I can pay my "perpetual bills". But that's crazy.
Again...the rich can advocate for themselves. Believe me when I say that they're certainly not advocating anything good for folks in the lower classes such as yourself.

And I didn't say perpetual bills...I said perpetual STRUGGLE to pay your bills. Because YOU DO have bills just like the rest if us.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...that's usually a cop-out from people that worship business owners and wealthy people.

Besides, it ain't like anyone on C-D knows how to run a successful business. If they did, they wouldn't be around here chirping daily.
And desertdetroiter is just an example of someone who thinks they know it all.

The poor are poor for a reason.

People, especially the worker thinks it is easy to run a business yet they never ran one. If you are into sports you call it the monday morning quarter back. The question is, why not? People who are whiners think they have all the answers so what exactly is stopping them? For the OP to even ask the question shows how terribly clueless people are.

People go into business to make a profit. They are not social institutions where they owe anyone a job.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post

Not to mention that those higher taxes tend to get passed on to the lower classes, either through raising the price of goods or simply scaling back business activities to the point of sitting on over a trillion dollars in cash. But if liberals could see pass their noses they would have noticed that. Or maybe they do know, just don't care as long as they stick it to the rich. And if you mention it, well you're just trying to "protect the rich". Yeah, economic history and equality before the law have nothing to do with it. I'm just trying to "protect the rich". Sure kiddo.
Obama is the only president that I know of who ran on raising taxes. Notice it was all about Obama getting more revenue for his green energy, not to help the middle class and the poor. He told the jealous people what they wanted to hear. Vote.. vote... vote for revenge. Too bad the sad saps that cheered didn't realize that those increase in taxes would "trickle down" to them in one form or another (loss of job, moved to part time, higher prices, drop in hiring, wage freezes). I didn't realize that people were so stupid but after this past election I sure know why they are poor.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Advertising and promoting to make sure enough revenue is generated so the business can pay it's vendors, make payrolls, pay taxes. W2 workers want higher taxes on their employer but it never occurred to them where they would get the extra revenue to pay those higher taxes from. Talk about stupidity.

You said it perfectly. W2 workers want redistribution but the owner is lucky if the employee shows up on time if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies