Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Let me guess: the list upsets you 'cause the most crime ridden states are states with lenient gun laws?
I don't think there is lot correlation between gun laws and murder rates. Most of the states with the highest gun ownership and lenient laws also have the least amount deaths for firearms.

Elisabeth Fosslien's Gun Charts - Business Insider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually this map doesn't say much of anything...

You need to be very careful about any of these statistics. Someone posted the communities with the highest murder rates in PA. One town on the map had 4 murders. 3 of them were single incident with two brothers from Philadelphia that killed 3 people and the other was from one town over.

In addition to that one of the two brothers was also charged with another murder that was also part of another small city not too fat away that appeared on the list. hen there is murder in my area I'd have to guess 50% of the time it's either someone that recently moved here from the city or is from the city.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need to be very careful about any of these statistics. Someone posted the communities with the highest murder rates in PA. One town on the map had 4 murders. 3 of them were single incident with two brothers from Philadelphia that killed 3 people and the other was from one town over.

In addition to that one of the two brothers was also charged with another murder that was also part of another small city not too fat away that appeared on the list. hen there is murder in my area I'd have to guess 50% of the time it's either someone that recently moved here from the city or is from the city.
Point taken, from one country boy to another...

Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually there is still merit to those aguements.. When you look at cities like, Chicago, Baltimore, Gary, etc., it is clear that while they have strict gun control in place, the incidence rates of murder by guns are clearly higher.. I know the arguement can be made that it is because of drug trafficing, but by contrast, look at my home town of El Paso, Tx. There are more drugs on the streets of El Paso than the three cities previously mentioned combined. Yet there is a lesser amount of not only gun shot incidences, but of violence overall... Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with guns, one way or the other, but rather of culture... The facts however are still there.
One interesting thing about Texas is this. El Paso borders the most violent area of Mexico. My theory is that gang members in El Paso do their killing in Mexico rather than Texas. With Ciudad Juarez across the river, it is easy just to go across the border and commit murder there.

Texas also borders Louisiana, the highest murder rate in the nation, and has been this way since the 90s. This was made quite clear after Hurricane Katrina. Criminals who had done their dirt in Louisiana went to Texas, and found a totally different environment. In New Orleans, gang members got away with murder because of the "60 day law", meaning if you were charged with murder, an indictment needed to be filed within 60 days, or the charges get dropped. In Texas, there is no such thing. Gang members from New Orleans found this out when they went to Houston and Dallas. Many just went back to New Orleans.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think there is lot correlation between gun laws and murder rates. Most of the states with the highest gun ownership and lenient laws also have the least amount deaths for firearms.

Elisabeth Fosslien's Gun Charts - Business Insider
I would probably say this. This probably speaks of legal gun ownership. My theory is that the states with the highest rates of gun ownership have very low rates of "black market" guns. With Louisiana and Illinois having relatively low gun ownership rates, there is something to consider. Perhaps there are alot of illegal guns floating around vs legally obtained guns. I would say that the persons who obtained their guns through the proper legal channels are less likely to commit murder than those who get them through the black market.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
It's weird that Puerto Rico has higher murder rates than Mexico. We're not getting our drugs from Puerto Rico -- so there goes that drug argument.

Funny how many people now would hesitate travel to Mexico but wouldn't think twice about going to Puerto Rico.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's weird that Puerto Rico has higher murder rates than Mexico. We're not getting our drugs from Puerto Rico -- so there goes that drug argument.

Funny how many people now would hesitate travel to Mexico but wouldn't think twice about going to Puerto Rico.
We aren't getting our drugs DIRECTLY from Puerto Rico. However, Puerto Rico is on a major drug route. And Puerto Rico is a U.S. Commonwealth. That could play a part in why there is less hesitation to travel to Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies