Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Why would you want a smooth bore handgun?
I thought the same thing.
If they are, they need to be cleaned!!!! Maybe I do need to clean them, or get a better light in the breech to see. I know the 38 has none, I can clearly see into that barrel, with the cylinder open.

Your not going to get much spin out of a 2" barrel Too aggressive rifling and accuracy goes away.

There is a sweet spot on rifling 1:28 1 circumference in 28"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It's your choice to use what ever gun you want. Practiy speaking it is widely understood that birdshot it a poor choice for self defense, though it is better than nothing.

I will choose to use a handgun and have an ar15 readily available. I know you do not like this, but it is my choice, and that is why I have a problem with you telling me what I should or shouldn't be able to use in your earlier posts.
I don't have a problem with your having an AR15, although I think you'd be just as likely to shoot someone in an adjoining room or the neighbors accidentally with it--just with having a high capacity mag, and with being able to buy the gun ANYWHERE without a thorough background check.

AND I'm countering the OPs claim that Biden was an idiot for saying that a shotgun doesn't work for home defense. That's ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
If it is going to be used for home defense, why not cut off a double barrel or old pump shotgun?

It is not illegal until you get caught. It is inside the home and no cop, or king, is searching your home for it.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't have a problem with your having an AR15, although I think you'd be just as likely to shoot someone in an adjoining room or the neighbors accidentally with it--just with having a high capacity mag, and with being able to buy the gun ANYWHERE without a thorough background check.
The test I linked to earlier is just interior wall penetration. Exterior wall will have insulation, fiber board or OSB and then a veneer that could be siding (aluminum, wood or composite material) or brick. A .223 is a very fast round but at .55 grains, its energy dissipates quickly. Unless you shoot through a window (violating gun rule #3) it is unlikely the round will leave your house.

Why are you against standard capacity mags?

You can't buy an AR-15 ANYWHERE. Buying from an FFL (storefront or gun show) requires a check in most states. Currently you can't buy an AR-15 at all. The supply has completely dried up unless you are willing to pay a premium price. What was $800 in the fall is now $1,600 to $2,400 depending on model.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

AND I'm countering the OPs claim that Biden was an idiot for saying that a shotgun doesn't work for home defense. That's ridiculous.
Well, my primary home defense firearm is a 12ga shotgun. A Mossberg 930, semi auto, 5 round capacity, loaded with #4 buckshot. It has an 18.5" tube, standard stock. Insi de the house, it's far preferable to my AR. I also keep my SW 66, with +p 158 gr JHPs in my dresser. I might reach for my AR, should a threat be outside, as my property is rather open, but the AR is a more precision, at a distance, platform. My AR is an actual rifle, however, not a carbine, ala the M4. An M4 style carbine, in a handgun cartridge, would be fine for home defense. It boils down to what a person is comfortable, and can HIT with. Any weapon, suitable for home defense, that someone can handle well, is a proper choice. Rifle calibers are, generally, a bit overpowered, for defense purposes, inside the house. That is my opinion, and I am not dismissing anyone who disagrees. It's just my, personal, preference.

My AR is built as a precision rifle. It has a collapsing butt, but has a 20"tube, and optical sighting. There are rail type weights on the fore end to control muzzle climb, so it is a lot heavier than standard. Not well suited to CQB, inside a dwelling.

So I rely on me ol' 12ga. However, as I said, an M4 style carbine, in standard configuration, would surely be fine for defending ones home, should that be what a person is comfortable with.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I like the kinetic energy my tommy gun has.
100 rounds of .45acp doesn't hurt.

Swiss cheese comes to mind.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If it is going to be used for home defense, why not cut off a double barrel or old pump shotgun?

It is not illegal until you get caught. It is inside the home and no cop, or king, is searching your home for it.
Because if you used that sawn off for self defense it's murder. You were in the commission of a crime when you used it to defend yourself (illegal possession and manufacture of NFA items). You cannot legally claim self defense when in commission of a crime. If you could then half of the murders in Chicago would likely be self defense.

So if the purpose of using it is in self defense, but by using it in self defense, you eliminate the ability to claim self defense, it's pretty pointless don't you think? It's kind of like preventing yourself becoming a victim of arson by setting your house on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J
Buying from an FFL (storefront or gun show) requires a check in most states.
Nope buying from an FFL requires a check (or ATF approved documentation indicating prior authorization for personal transfers i.e. approved CCP's, FFL Licenses (for personal ownership), etc.) in ALL states, FFL's are Federally regulated, all Federal Sales require a NICS check prior to transfer, either directly from the FFL via a NICS call, or through a State Law Enforcement Intermediary (where the State acts as that intermediary).

Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

308 posts, read 398,529 times
Quote:
claim that Biden was an idiot for saying that a shotgun doesn't work for home defense.
Biden didn't say that, he said a double-barreled shotgun fired twice into the air outside your house is a great way to stop a home invasion. Which is idiotic, and also illegal in most (all? help me out here!) of the US. I believe he also suggested to fire the gun through the door, which is even more idiotic.

When you find yourself in the gravest extreme, having to take up a firearm to defend life and limb in your own home, you ideally want a tool (yes! a tool!) that is designed for the task at hand, not something that was designed to hunt birds. I'm sure you can defend yourself with a 9mm Flobert bolt action shotgun if need be, but it's far from an ideal situation to find yourself in.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where this sort of scenario is almost completely absent, so this discussion is purely theoretical on my part. However, there's not a doubt in my mind over what I'd choose to protect my family if given a choice between a 20 gauge shotgun loaded with birdshot and a 223/5.56 caliber semi-auto rifle with a standard capacity magazine. Nor is there any doubt about what I think about morons who advocate discharging firearms into the air, or at stuff they don't know what is and can't see.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Nope buying from an FFL requires a check (or ATF approved documentation indicating prior authorization for personal transfers i.e. approved CCP's, FFL Licenses (for personal ownership), etc.) in ALL states, FFL's are Federally regulated, all Federal Sales require a NICS check prior to transfer, either directly from the FFL via a NICS call, or through a State Law Enforcement Intermediary (where the State acts as that intermediary).
No call is required in MS if you have a carry permit. I show it to the FFL, fill out the 4473, pay my money and walk out the door. A few other states have the same. That's why I said "most states" and not "all states".

Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
No call is required in MS if you have a carry permit. I show it to the FFL, fill out the 4473, pay my money and walk out the door. A few other states have the same. That's why I said "most states" and not "all states".
You're pre-authorized by your carry permit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
(or ATF approved documentation indicating prior authorization for personal transfers i.e. approved CCP's, FFL Licenses (for personal ownership), etc.)
Same would apply if you were an FFL, but making a personal purchase at another gun store, you're pre-authorized by BATFE. Not all carry permits are approved by BATFE though, it depends on the state requirements to issue (i.e. do they do a full criminal background check).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies