Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 12:02 PM

23,970 posts, read 15,072,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Thats BS .at 30 feet a shot gun only has a 10 inch spread. You atill have to aim a "scatter gun "

IMO, wasp spray will also do the job.

And I never have to worry about a kid shooting themselves.

They would have a harder time with an aerosol can than a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 12:19 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,603 times
I have a fair amount of shooting experience both at the range and in gravel pits. While the low grain weight of the AR-15 round limits it's "hit" further out, the round is initially moving in excess of 3,000 feet per second. Unfortunately, non-shooters dump a lot of trash and junk in some of the gravel pits I shoot at, but at the same time it provides more interesting targets to shoot like dead big screen TV's toilets lawnmowers and dead car engines. The AR rounds passed straight through the 60" flat screen TV lengthwise, didn't even slow them down. An aluminum engine with a kicked rod (I think it was from a Honda) was dumped, and the first couple rounds to the front of the block penetrated the block and the iron cylinder linings and broke large pieces of them out of the engine. Second and third shots to the same areas, went through the engine and came out the other side. So these movies where people are using car doors for cover during a shootout, it's a joke. The bullets would go right through.
For that reason, I would not use an AR for home defense unless it was a 9mm variant or other "pistol round" AR. Or if that's all you've got, the split tip hollow points that open up once they hit someone or something would probably work. Otherwise, you could wind up shooting the intruder, your fridge, the wall, and your neighbor before the round ran out of energy.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:37 PM

8,379 posts, read 4,363,801 times
There is all kinds of ignorance.

Both have to be aimed. The presenter in the video is a well known marksman. If he misses, its on purpose. And he did say if someones get hit with a shotgun, they are going to know it. The average person is not going hit targets at varying ranges with his precision and speed. In addition, you have to think about your surroundings. A 223 round can easily go through the walls of many stick built homes and perhaps into the home next door. A shot gun, probably not. Most self defense scenarios take place at fairly close range. You are not going to need the long range accuracy of an AR 15 in most home defense situations. In any case, Greg Kinman is a well known shooter of some skill and your results will most certainly vary. A quality riot shotgun that holds 6-10 of the right rounds is good solid home protection. In some cases all the burglar needs is to hear is the pump action chambering a round to entice them to leave.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:37 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Personally I think the 9 mm with 16 rounds of hollow point wins out because of its portability and concealability you have extra dexterity versus a big bulky gun like the AR-15 or a shotgun. Get a laser sight and practice firing from unconventional positions and you can hide behind cover etc.

However the shotgun despite being something that's going to splatter your intruder into pieces if simply cocking the gun doesn't make him stop in his tracks, the 5.56 round is a very effective man stopper cuz it tends to break up in the body dissipating its energy inside the target.... So this video really isn't a very good comparison... An AR-15 with 30 rounds is going to be a far more effective intruder stopper in most cases because you got more chances to hit the target. although a shotgun might be better to scare the intruder into submission before he even does anything because getting hit with any shotgun blast is going to hurt.... Buckshot preferred .... Slugs will overpenetrate ....

A 9 mm will also be slightly less likely to leave you deaf after the encounter and significantly less likely if you jump through the hoops and get a suppressor put on.

Our new President will do his best to tip the odds to favor criminals.
They will still use fifteen round magazines, while honest people will be restricted to ten or less.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:47 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Birdshot for home defense??!!
Like in most scenarios - the answer is: It depends.

...In close-range encounters, as found in most home-defense situations, birdshot can be deadly. But, it loses power so fast, over-penetration is much less of a problem. In a home full of children, it would certainly be my first choice...

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-home-defense/

.223/5.56 certainly has its drawbacks. Have you ever fired an AR platform rifle in the dark, in an enclosed space? It's a bit like having a flash-bang go off. IF you're trained to deal with the pressure/sound/flash, you might be fine. That's a big assumption, though.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:58 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
btw. I have a Glock 19 in the house and in no way feel safer from it. My 7 dogs, I feel safe from them.
You feel "safe from them"? I don't understand that. You feel "safe from your seven dogs" or do you feel "safe with your seven dogs with you"?

Again, in reference to your firearm you state that you "no way feel safer from it". What gives? Is English a second language?

Personally I feel safe with my dogs warning me of potential danger and feel capable of defending myself with the household firearm if the need arises.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:01 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,957,639 times
A shotgun is good in close quarters. If you shoot them in the leg ( Per Biden) you’re liable to take it off..... and have a bunch of drywall to repair afterwards.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:24 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,085,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler Star View Post
Handguns are better for CQB 50 feet or less. Rifle and shotguns are better beyond 50 feet. Never bring a handgun to a rifle or shotgun fight. You will lose in most cases.

An AR-15 has numerous advantages over a shotgun.

Better accuracy and light recoil, enables you to keep multiple rounds on target.

Better capacity to hold more rounds and faster to reload.
Most shotguns don't hold more than 5-9 rounds.
(Yes I know there are exceptions but they're not very common).

Lighter weight and more comfortable to shoot. .....a HUGE plus for most women.

And I say this as a guy who loves shotguns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies