Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't have a problem with your having an AR15, although I think you'd be just as likely to shoot someone in an adjoining room or the neighbors accidentally with it--just with having a high capacity mag, and with being able to buy the gun ANYWHERE without a thorough background check.

AND I'm countering the OPs claim that Biden was an idiot for saying that a shotgun doesn't work for home defense. That's ridiculous.
Biden said a double barrell shotgun is better than an AR-15. That's complete hogwash. Apparently you don't understand that one can reload quickly so banning standard capacity magazines accomplishes nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I feed safe in my house because of my glock 35, not because of my dog.
Really? A gun makes you feel safe? Would a teddy bear help you sleep too?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
A handgun is FAR more likely to kill one of the owners friends or family than an intruder. That is a fact.

If you are worried about protecting lives in your home take a first aid course and purchase an AED. It will cost about the same as a handgun, will not make your insurance rates go up, will not kill friendly people (or anyone for that matter) and is about 10,000X more likely to save a life in your home than a handgun.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A handgun is FAR more likely to kill one of the owners friends or family than an intruder. That is a fact.

If you are worried about protecting lives in your home take a first aid course and purchase an AED. It will cost about the same as a handgun, will not make your insurance rates go up, will not kill friendly people (or anyone for that matter) and is about 10,000X more likely to save a life in your home than a handgun.
So would a defibrillator or a first aid course have helped this women.

Young woman fights off attacker, KPTV, Portland, Ore. 04/01/13, KGW, Portland, Ore. 04/02/2013
Just after a 22-year-old woman got out of her car in Oregon City, Ore., a man grabbed her by her ponytail and dragged and attacked her. The criminal continued his attack until the young woman drew a handgun, which caused the attacker to flee. In describing the incident to local media, Oregon City Police Sgt. Matthew Paschall recalled, “He continued to assault her until she was able to defend herself by producing her legally-owned handgun.”

Or this woman

Woman fights off two home invaders, WRAL, Raleigh, N.C. 03/22/13
A woman in Elm City, N.C. was home sick from work when she heard a banging at her back door. The noise turned out to be a pair of home invaders who forced their way inside as the woman fled to retrieve a gun and hide in a closet. Eventually the burglars made it to the room where the homeowner was hiding, and when they opened the door, the woman fired at them, striking one and causing both to flee. Neighbor Wayne Crumpler spotted the home invaders after hearing one of the criminals screaming for help in the street. As one of the burglars moved towards Crumpler’s property, Crumpler retrieved a revolver and ordered the man to halt. The criminals fled, but were captured by police a short time later. Speaking to local media about the incident, Crumpler approved of his neighbor’s actions, stating, “She was lucky she knew how to use a handgun and lucky she had it. Because if she hadn’t, we might be going to a funeral.”

Or this woman

Woman defends home and children from armed intruder, WDSU, New Orleans, La. 03/05/13
A woman was inside her Covington, La. home at around 1:40 a.m. when she was awakened by an armed man inside her bedroom. After retrieving a shotgun from a nearby closet, the woman checked on her children, then forced the home invader out of her house. Once the authorities arrived, police used a K-9 unit to track the criminal and found him nearby.

Remember, when life and death are seconds apart, the police are only minutes away. The average police response time is 10 minutes and guns are used millions of times every year to protect homeowners, many times without anyone getting hurt.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:49 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
A dog is only a 30 second alarm to an event about to happen .What you do with that warning is up to you.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:48 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
How is using a shotgun for home defense "ignorant?" Who exactly is it who doesn't know what they're talking about?

It makes a whole lot more sense for me to shoot down a hall or meet someone at the door with a shotgun vs. trying to shoot an AR-15 in the dark--not to mention that an AR15 will penetrate through everything in the house, including walls, so if you have sleeping kids or neighbors in an apartment you could kill them as well in the fallout. I'm a woman, and a 12 gauge might kick me on my backside, but I can handle a 20 gauge youth sized shotgun just fine.

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?
Selecting a Gun for Home Defense | LearnAboutGuns.com*

We live out in the country, and my husband and boys are all hunters. I don't understand the sick fascination some of you have with guns--they're TOOLS--just like a hoe or a tractor. You use them to hunt for food, shoot sick or dangerous critters, and in the unlikely event that you have a break in, defend your family. When they become more than that, something's seriously wrong with you.
The deputies in my town have always advised women to get a shotgun. You don't need to worry about your aim or anything else.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:52 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Personally I think the 9 mm with 16 rounds of hollow point wins out because of its portability and concealability you have extra dexterity versus a big bulky gun like the AR-15 or a shotgun. Get a laser sight and practice firing from unconventional positions and you can hide behind cover etc.

However the shotgun despite being something that's going to splatter your intruder into pieces if simply cocking the gun doesn't make him stop in his tracks, the 5.56 round is a very effective man stopper cuz it tends to break up in the body dissipating its energy inside the target.... So this video really isn't a very good comparison... An AR-15 with 30 rounds is going to be a far more effective intruder stopper in most cases because you got more chances to hit the target. although a shotgun might be better to scare the intruder into submission before he even does anything because getting hit with any shotgun blast is going to hurt.... Buckshot preferred .... Slugs will overpenetrate ....

A 9 mm will also be slightly less likely to leave you deaf after the encounter and significantly less likely if you jump through the hoops and get a suppressor put on.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:08 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The deputies in my town have always advised women to get a shotgun. You don't need to worry about your aim or anything else.
Thats BS .at 30 feet a shot gun only has a 10 inch spread. You atill have to aim a "scatter gun "

Old 12-14-2020, 11:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 747,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Being a law enforcement officer hardly makes someone an expert on personal defense. For someone that doesn't shoot much a 12 gauge pump shot gun has significant recoil and isn't easy to master. I've attended law enforcement academies at the state and federal level and seen men and women struggle with shotguns the first few times they went to the range. If you fire any firearm you damn well better be concerned about your aim and "anything else".

If someone is going to have a firearm in their home they're well advised to become proficient with it. I recommend that people go to the range and take lessons until shooting their weapon is second nature. Most people are better off with a good handgun (either a revolver or semi) or semiautomatic rifle like and AK or AR versus a shotgun.

Biden's recommendation about a shotgun for home defense is pure balderdash.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:48 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,142,463 times
An AR-15 is superior to a shotgun for interior home defense in virtually any instance that doesn't involve confronting something like a bear or mountain lion in the room with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies