Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Yes. If you can shoot a couple of rounds, it will take someone down pretty effectively. It may not kill them, but they won't be going anywhere. It's not worth it to me to risk killing everyone else in the house because of some kind of Rambo fantasy. At 7-10 feet or closer (which is what it would take to meet someone at the door, as they're coming up the stairs, or as they're breaking in a locked bedroom door) it would do the job as well as anything. Buckshot would kill them, but you'd better be sure your kids are behind you and not sleeping in the room next to yours or across the hall, unless you want some pretty tragic consequences. I have a big, loud dog who sleeps in the house with us, so I'm going to know if someone is on my property, let alone trying to break into the house.

As I said earlier, when you stop looking at a gun as a tool vs. emotionally and as some kind of a "manhood" thing (I'm a woman), you've got a problem.

Quote:
Investigators said Slater then chased the family into a crawl space near the attic - and when he opened a door, the mother opened fire striking him five times.

Police said Slater stumbled out of the house, got into a car and crashed into a tree line in an apparent get-away attempt.
Homeowner shoots intruder in Walton County - CBS Atlanta 46

Feel free to do what you think is best. BTW: Why do people ALWAYS feel the need to insult people's "manhood" in firearms discussions? In my experience it's usually the person with the asinine argument who does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
I feel safe because I am in Canada and we have not gotten to the level of violence that our American brothers have to deal with. The chances of myself suffering a home invasion or being attacked by an armed intruder are about one in one million. One thing in this instructional video that was not mentioned was the idea of less choke on a shot gun buy sawing it off and using heavier shot. I am sure a shot gun with a short barrel would work just fine in close quarters.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I feel safe because I am in Canada and we have not gotten to the level of violence that our American brothers have to deal with. The chances of myself suffering a home invasion or being attacked by an armed intruder are about one in one million. One thing in this instructional video that was not mentioned was the idea of less choke on a shot gun buy sawing it off and using heavier shot. I am sure a shot gun with a short barrel would work just fine in close quarters.
In the US that would be felony without proper government approval.

Generally, in the US shotguns have to have at least 18 inches of barrel and a 26 inch overall length

Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Not if you use birdshot--according to your own link it will go through one layer of drywall but not effectively through two. Most home invasions are going to be shooting at fairly short range, and I don't want to kill someone--I want to really hurt them, scare them, and stop them. Unless they're high on something like bath salts, if you hurt someone badly and it's super painful, they're going to either fall down, or run away and not come back for more. I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with birdshot at close range--would you? They won't die, but they're not going to be going anywhere either.

If you want to use buckshot I get it, but then (as with an AR15) you run the risk of killing your family right along with killing a bad guy.
It is not mentioned in training but stopping someone means killing them. Shooting center mass is meant to stop the lungs and heart from functioning. The "Mozambique drill" is 2 to the chest and one to the head is meant to stop someone who is on a stimulant or has some type of resistant clothing on. The "zipper drill" starts at the groin and goes up the center mass to the head. This is meant to hit the large group of arteries/veins in the lower part of the body, break the pelvic bone, severe the spine, hit the heart and finally stop the brain. Trigger Time TV, Ep 6, Seg D, Greg and Destin of VATA Group discuss Engagement Sequenses - YouTube

Just because they are on the ground doesn't mean they are not a threat. If they came in with a gun, they are just as bad as a trapped animal. They can't run so they will fight and they will fight to the end.

My family has a plan on how to respond to our alarm system going off. I know where they are. As long as I follow rule 3, there is no chance of them being harmed 4 Laws of Gun Safety Finally, if I need to take a precision shot, I have that option. Before you respond on how often that happens, there is a forum member here who has had to do that. Maybe he will respond with his story.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I feed safe in my house because of my glock 35, not because of my dog.

My dogs let me know if the Thompson M-1928, or the 1911 need to be in hand.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
In the US that would be felony without proper government approval.

Generally, in the US shotguns have to have at least 18 inches of barrel and a 26 inch overall length

Have you seen the new revolver pistol, that shoots .45's and .410 shotgun shells?

How does that weapon, get around the unconstitutional law?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Have you seen the new revolver pistol, that shoots .45's and .410 shotgun shells?

It's a handgun not a shotgun by definition.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

The "Judge"? I haven't shot one but I heard they are not very great. Though loading one .410 and having the rest .45 I've heard is its best application.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Looking at a shotgun for home defense with bird shot as a tool, your picking the wrong tool.

Read this
Shooting Illustrated Mobile
From the comments section of your own link:
"As a retired LEO and Range Master, I can attest to the effectiveness of bird shot at close range. I agree that bird shot within a dwelling is more than sufficient to take the fight out of any intruder, while reducing the chance of over penetration and ricochet. On most ocassions, High Base 7.5 bird shot, will get the job done within 20 yards."

"Go to the gunblast.com website and search for 12 gauge for home defense. Watch the video that shows the actual damage birdshor does to a raw, thick pork shoulder protected by a very heavy barrier of raw pork ribs protecting it. People who cry, "It only penetrates fro 4 inches!" might rethink their view when they realize that 4 inch deep woumd is the diameter of a coffee mug! Need more thoughts to mull over? 7/8 oz. of birdshot is a payload of over 400 grains heading downrange at 1200 fps. Compare that to the much vaunted .45 acp payload. lol"

Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
From the comments section of your own link:
"As a retired LEO and Range Master, I can attest to the effectiveness of bird shot at close range. I agree that bird shot within a dwelling is more than sufficient to take the fight out of any intruder, while reducing the chance of over penetration and ricochet. On most ocassions, High Base 7.5 bird shot, will get the job done within 20 yards."

"Go to the gunblast.com website and search for 12 gauge for home defense. Watch the video that shows the actual damage birdshor does to a raw, thick pork shoulder protected by a very heavy barrier of raw pork ribs protecting it. People who cry, "It only penetrates fro 4 inches!" might rethink their view when they realize that 4 inch deep woumd is the diameter of a coffee mug! Need more thoughts to mull over? 7/8 oz. of birdshot is a payload of over 400 grains heading downrange at 1200 fps. Compare that to the much vaunted .45 acp payload. lol"

So then as an LEO he's shot people with birdshot before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies