Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times

Advertisements

Background checks to stop you from doing what you want with your guns.. You cannot deny that.The NRA was for them and then recanted.

Senators Crack Impasse on Gun Background Check - ABC News

The agreement was also forged with Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Mark Kirk, an Illinois Republican. Toomey, a Republican from Pennsylvania, said today he was uncertain whether any other Republicans would support the bill.

“I’ve got to tell you candidly, I don’t consider background checks to be gun control. I think it’s just commonsense,” Toomey said. “If you pass a criminal background check, you get to buy a gun, no problem. It’s the people who fail a criminal or a mental health background check that we don’t want to have a gun.

ABC News’ Jeff Zeleny and Sunlen Miller report:

Sens. Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey announced a bipartisan compromise today seeking to expand background checks for the sale of guns – both at gun shows and online – that could help break the impasse in the gun-control debate in Congress.

The deal would be added as an amendment to existing gun legislation in the Senate. It opens the door to the biggest potential change in U.S. gun laws in nearly two decades, but still faces deep questions and lingering opposition when the Senate begins voting Thursday on whether to proceed with the gun debate.

The compromise is not expected to be debated until next week.

“Today is the start of a healthy debate that must end with the Senate and House, hopefully, passing these commonsense measures and the president signing it into law,” Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, said.

“The event of Newtown, truly the events at Newton, changed us all. It changes our country, our communities, our town and it changed our hearts and minds.”

The agreement is intended to make the legislation on guns more palatable to Democratic and Republican lawmakers, who have voiced skepticism about some provisions. The proposal calls for exempting background checks for guns sold among between family members, which was a key sticking point for many supporters of gun rights, including hunters and sportsmen.

When asked by ABC News whether he was worried about risking his “A” ranking with the National Rifle Association, Toomey said: “What matters to me is doing the right thing. And I think it’s the right thing.”

The agreement was also forged with Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Mark Kirk, an Illinois Republican. Toomey, a Republican from Pennsylvania, said today he was uncertain whether any other Republicans would support the bill.

“I’ve got to tell you candidly, I don’t consider background checks to be gun control. I think it’s just commonsense,” Toomey said. “If you pass a criminal background check, you get to buy a gun, no problem. It’s the people who fail a criminal or a mental health background check that we don’t want to have a gun.”

The name of the agreement underscores its goal to try to appeal to both sides of the gun debate: The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act. The bill would not require record-keeping of guns for private citizens, which is a key sticking point for critics.

The NRA was advised of the compromise and has been a part of the discussions. It remained an open question how forcefully the group would oppose the measure. A statement from the organization called it “a positive development” that the universal background checks that were part of President Obama’s gun bill would be replaced.

In an interview with ABC News, Manchin that he did not believe his compromise on background checks should be opposed by the NRA. But he said that it was worth risking a lower grade from the NRA.

“We’re here for a purpose to do things. This is the right thing to do,” Manchin said. “I would hope that just having a score or a rating they would look at it and say, ‘Did we do the right thing? Did we use common sense? Did we do the right thing to protect lives, protect our children?’ I would hope we would get credit for that. I can’t help the scoring system.”

He added: “I would think the NRA would have to say these are good things from sensible, reasonable gun owners.”

Several advocates of stronger gun control measures announced their support for the plan, including Americans for Responsible Solutions, which is the organization led by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the victim of an attempted assassination in 2011.

“With enactment of this proposal, criminals and the dangerously mentally ill will no longer be able to get weapons at gun shows and in the shadows of the Internet without passing the kind of sensible background check that responsible gun owners undergo,” the group said.

“Gun violence isn’t a partisan issue, and we hope that all senators listen to the over 90 percent of Americans who know it will have a measurable effect on keeping our communities safer and want to see this legislation passed.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:05 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
They're an invasion of privacy, they criminalize loaning guns to friends, and no criminals are going to obey the law and you'll never know unless you follow them around.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,448 times
When they can use it to create a registry it is and that's wrong.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Background checks to stop you from doing what you want with your guns.. You cannot deny that.The NRA was for them and then recanted.

Senators Crack Impasse on Gun Background Check - ABC News

“I’ve got to tell you candidly, I don’t consider background checks to be gun control. I think it’s just commonsense,” Toomey said. “If you pass a criminal background check, you get to buy a gun, no problem. It’s the people who fail a criminal or a mental health background check that we don’t want to have a gun.

ABC News’ Jeff Zeleny and Sunlen Miller report:

Sens. Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey announced a bipartisan compromise today seeking to expand background checks for the sale of guns – both at gun shows and online – that could help break the impasse in the gun-control debate in Congress.

The deal would be added as an amendment to existing gun legislation in the Senate. It opens the door to the biggest potential change in U.S. gun laws in nearly two decades, but still faces deep questions and lingering opposition when the Senate begins voting Thursday on whether to proceed with the gun debate.

The compromise is not expected to be debated until next week.

“Today is the start of a healthy debate that must end with the Senate and House, hopefully, passing these commonsense measures and the president signing it into law,” Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, said.

“The event of Newtown, truly the events at Newton, changed us all. It changes our country, our communities, our town and it changed our hearts and minds.”

The agreement is intended to make the legislation on guns more palatable to Democratic and Republican lawmakers, who have voiced skepticism about some provisions. The proposal calls for exempting background checks for guns sold among between family members, which was a key sticking point for many supporters of gun rights, including hunters and sportsmen.

When asked by ABC News whether he was worried about risking his “A” ranking with the National Rifle Association, Toomey said: “What matters to me is doing the right thing. And I think it’s the right thing.”

“I’ve got to tell you candidly, I don’t consider background checks to be gun control. I think it’s just commonsense,” Toomey said. “If you pass a criminal background check, you get to buy a gun, no problem. It’s the people who fail a criminal or a mental health background check that we don’t want to have a gun.”

The name of the agreement underscores its goal to try to appeal to both sides of the gun debate: The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act. The bill would not require record-keeping of guns for private citizens, which is a key sticking point for critics.

The NRA was advised of the compromise and has been a part of the discussions. It remained an open question how forcefully the group would oppose the measure. A statement from the organization called it “a positive development” that the universal background checks that were part of President Obama’s gun bill would be replaced.

In an interview with ABC News, Manchin that he did not believe his compromise on background checks should be opposed by the NRA. But he said that it was worth risking a lower grade from the NRA.

“We’re here for a purpose to do things. This is the right thing to do,” Manchin said. “I would hope that just having a score or a rating they would look at it and say, ‘Did we do the right thing? Did we use common sense? Did we do the right thing to protect lives, protect our children?’ I would hope we would get credit for that. I can’t help the scoring system.”

He added: “I would think the NRA would have to say these are good things from sensible, reasonable gun owners.”

Several advocates of stronger gun control measures announced their support for the plan, including Americans for Responsible Solutions, which is the organization led by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the victim of an attempted assassination in 2011.

“With enactment of this proposal, criminals and the dangerously mentally ill will no longer be able to get weapons at gun shows and in the shadows of the Internet without passing the kind of sensible background check that responsible gun owners undergo,” the group said.

“Gun violence isn’t a partisan issue, and we hope that all senators listen to the over 90 percent of Americans who know it will have a measurable effect on keeping our communities safer and want to see this legislation passed.”

Agreed.

Voter literacy test are OK too.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Both already exist.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Just one more step towards the abolishment of the 2nd. It may take another 100 years but it's coming unless the cancer that is the current Socialiberalist mindset is carved from the American body before removing would kill it.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM

524 posts, read 400,095 times
I will never, for the life of me, understand the direction of gun control policy. Our politicians would rather put restrictions on law abiding persons rather than increase/expand penalties for illegal/criminal activity. Makes no damn sense.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM

57,226 posts, read 26,178,741 times
So why did the NRA do a 180 deg turn on gun control, a question that has gone unanswered.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,186 times
Eliminating the loopholes in existing law for background checks is NOT getting rid of the 2nd amendment. Do you guys get so emotional and hysterical over EVERYTHING, or are guns the only thing that make you weepy and hormonal? Geesh....

Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They're an invasion of privacy, they criminalize loaning guns to friends, and no criminals are going to obey the law and you'll never know unless you follow them around.
So i guess we better get rid of background checks to buy cars and homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies