Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
As far as I know, no one said that it was Russia but people are assuming that it is.
Quote:
Russian Request

The request to investigate Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 advised that he “was a follower of radical Islam” and had “changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared” for his trip to Russia, raising fears he planned “to join unspecified underground groups,” the FBI said on its website.

“The FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history,” according to the statement. “The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011.”
Boston Bombing Suspect Apprehended at Watertown Home - Businessweek

Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It's more than "doesn't sound right" .... it's totally preposterous and too obvious for a thinking person to consider remotely plausible ..... especially for anyone with knowledge of the FBI's dubious past behaviors.

Just look at Oklahoma City bombing and the first World Trade Center bombing .... and if you don't have serious concerns about the FBI ... you're either a paid government propagandist, or an idiot. Those are the only two options.
Dare I ask....what make your sources more credible than any other?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM

7,501 posts, read 5,748,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The Mirror is a tabloid in the UK. I wouldn't take anything from it seriously.

We will see I guess... What's even more concerning it was apparently two college kiddo's.. if that is the case they missed a 12 man sleeper cell of college kids? Odd part is none of the Obama Media Group is even talking about this but it's all over the net..

Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Regarding the English taught in school, that is probably how Russian kids learn too! That is what I was responding to with the example of our exchange student. I was actually quite surprised she didn't have better English than she had. My own kids were little then; she watched Sesame St. with them and probably learned some English with that. I was also surprised in visiting western Europe that despite all one hears about these kids being taught English from the get-go, that many did not speak much, if any English. A German guy told me, "I studied English in school. But when I was in school, I didn't try very hard."

Regarding spelling out words, I don't think it's the appropriate thing to do. Too many chances for misunderstanding. I know a number of people who have been here 10+ years, who still say "how do you say?" once in a while, regardless of what age they came here.
The English language is massive. Not everyone who speaks English-only have the same command of English. Americans ask "how do you say" when struggling for a better word or a phrase. I've done it. I'm sure you have. How is asking for help inappropriate? It's also a way of learning and expanding one's vocabulary.

You can't expect all people who learned to speak English as a second language, and who probably speak their first language within the home and amongst friends, to have to strong command of English, as the mother tongue is the dominant language. Like I said, the uncle was angry and under alot of stress. I don't think you understand the mental translation process.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Boston bombers: FBI hunting 12-strong terrorist

So the FBI has been watching these kids? Really? They missed a 12 man sleeper cell, in the US for over two years that they have been watching these kids?

I'm not a conspiracy nut at all but that doesn't sound right... I know that this administration is the most incompetent we have had in the history of the US but nobody is that incompetent.
And again--it's reporting from a UK tabloid that doesn't credit any LE agency for saying there's a sleeper cell--just that they arrested (or brought in for questioning) some college kids who knew the younger brother. Let's wait and see what REAL NEWS says about this.

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Exactly. We've had exchange students as well, and with just about all of them, they could read very simple English when they first came over, but their spoken English was pretty awful. Most American kids get 2-4 years of foreign language instruction (usually Spanish in our area) and how many of them could wander around Spain or Mexico and speak fluently about anything? They're lucky if they can ask how to find the bathroom, or how much something costs... By the time they're here a year though, they're usually pretty fluent, at least conversationally, if they haven't had anyone they can speak to in their native language.
This doesn't hold true for Germany though. A good friend of mine has two nephews, 14 and 18 years of age that visit once a year. Their English is perfect with only a slight accent. I'm always amazed at how how well they speak, considering the fact that their parents speak primarily Russian (their native tongue) and German.

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
We will see I guess... What's even more concerning it was apparently two college kiddo's.. if that is the case they missed a 12 man sleeper cell of college kids? Odd part is none of the Obama Media Group is even talking about this but it's all over the net..
A college kid and a 26 year old man, so no, not 2 college kiddos, and I'm not sure why you'd think the "sleeper cell" would be all college kids.

I'll believe the "sleeper cell" nonsense when it comes from a legit source other than the Mirror. The Mirror is on par with what you see at the supermarket checkout line here in the US

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Theres no question the guys in the picture were from Craft International and were there as hired security. You ostrich people need to quit saying " prove it" and just do a simple google search. Their pictures are all over the web from many media sources. Don't get all hyper defensive, you make people wonder if you have an agenda of your own.
I'm not saying they were involved or part of a conspiracy, I'm just saying they shouldn't have been paid for doing nothing and those who hired them need to be made to squirm for at the very least showing poor event planning and wasteful spending of Marathon or city finances. And its possible they had some wind of a possible attack and still got caught with their pants down.
Yes they were there. The pictures do not lie. All hauling around black backpacks too. Then they all stood around and watched after the bomb went off.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:36 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Don't run 26 miles then. That's why they have medical assistance at the ready at these things. Especially in warm weather, people have been known to die on occasion.
You missed something along the way. I'm not going to point it out to you.

Last edited by softblueyz; 04-21-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 10:36 AM

15,054 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No. They questioned the older brother in 2010. That's all that's been confirmed.
They don't just question people randomly. This story has one purpose ... to establish a foundation should any contact between the FBI and these suspects are ever uncovered. So they put that out there first.

Now you people listen and listen good .... an element of the FBI (not all of the FBI) is in charge of domestic operations regarding terrorism/anti-terrorism. And they have been involved in a lot of alleged "sting" operations regarding terrorist attacks. The first World Trade Center bombing was one such alleged sting that went bad .... but I gotta tell you, anybody that doesn't have serious questions about why the FBI would provide real explosives in that case, while being seemingly unable to stop the bombing from occurring, is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies