Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 PM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We are against voter ID laws because they disenfranchise many of the poor who vote. And before you even respond, not all poor people are on food stamps or welfare. Many states are required a new state issued ID and not just a drivers license. Some states are making it so that college students can only vote in their home towns and not at college.
You just spewed the biggest crock of meaningless BS I have read all day. Did you actually read what you typed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The racist claim is only to keep illegals at the polls.

Truth is, voter ID lars are not so much racist as they are classist, but the race card has a chance of succeeding while the class card in this country is pretty much useless, as classism is both acceptable and lawful in tis country.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 AM

Some states are making it so that college students can only vote in their home towns and not at college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You just spewed the biggest crock of meaningless BS I have read all day. Did you actually read what you typed?

What's meaningless here? Made sense to me; college towns want to regulate the hell out of college students without allowing them any representation where they live most of the year. I am familiar with this as I lived in a college town that did not allow students to register to vote there until a SCOTUS decision said they had to.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Liberals are against voter ID because it may prevent illegals and dead people from voting. That would take away a lot of their base.

I vote Republican 80%+ of the time and I'm against voter ID where there is no cost-free way to get ID. Currently, as far as I am aware, only Pennsylvania has a cost-free way to get voter ID.

The issue should be, why can't other states do it like Pennsylvania?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Exactly. And I would ask them how having an ID would deprive a person from voting if they are a legal US citizen ?

??? Either you left out a word or your statement makes no sense to me. Please tell me how college students would be able to vote at school under voter ID.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In all seriousness, how are they disenfranchise?

"Some states are making it so that college students can only vote in their home towns and not at college"

Do you have a problem with that? If so why?

I have expired ID and would not be able to vote in person. (By staying with my GF where she lives a few blocks outside of town while the polls are open, I am eligible for an absentee ballot as long as I have it mailed to her house or somewhere else outside of town.)

College towns love to regulate students, I say No Regulation Without Representation. This regulation invariably harms poor nonstudents, e.g. max unrelated occupancy of two prices out poor nonstudents, so as a former poor nonstudent resident, I had a vested interest in students voting at school in order to slow thhe regulatory creep. Similarly, every self-supporting student has a vested interest in voting at college because the regulations substantially affect where and how (expensively) you will live there.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry That dog won't hunt. You apparently have never heard of an Absentee ballot. Ask anyone who served in the military.

Students are NOT considered full time residents. If they were, they would be paying in state tuition.

What state is their driver's license issued from?

The reason some colleges are cracking is because some students have (or have tried) voted in BOTH places.

??? SCOTUS said (1971?) that students can vote at college if that is were they reside more than half the year. Many states have similar rules for tax purposes, e.g. at least 183 days a year makes you a (taxable) resident.

Some snowbirds claim a homestead exemption in two states, where is the outrage and the crackdown?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, it depends!
What state issued the student's Drivers License?
In what state and/or precinct is the student registered to vote?
In what state and/or precinct is the student eligible to request an absentee ballot?
If the student is going to school at, let's say, the University Of Washington, but has a Drivers License from Ohio, and their car is registered in Ohio, and they are registered to vote in Ohio, they can request an absentee ballot from Ohio, but they can NOT vote in Washington.
Surely, if said student is smart enough to go to college, he/she is smart enough to figure out where and how to vote!
And, of course, who and what to vote for or against!

SCOTUS disagrees with you.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Tim Scott was elected to the US House twice.He was appointed to fill the seat of Sen DeMint and resigned from the house to do that. He will be elected to the Senate in the next election.
So what? He was not elected as Senator, and your omniscience regarding future elections deserves no serious attention. Fascinating though that you felt obliged to address the point that I offered to ignore, and declined to explain how these facts "take apart" the argument that voter ID laws are racist?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Liberals are against voter ID because it may prevent illegals and dead people from voting. That would take away a lot of their base.
Liberals are against voter ID because it will prevent eligible liberals from voting. Conservatives favor the laws for the same reason. There is no evidence that illegals or dead people honestly have anything to do with it. That is merely the canard pushed by advocates to avoid naming the genuine targets of the laws; minorities and the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies