Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Pure, unadulterated BS. To have an honest election outcome, you have to have an honest election.
There is no evidence that voter ID laws would improve the "honesty" of elections. There is on the other hand a lot of evidence that they will prevent otherwise eligible voters from exercising the franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly. And I would ask them how having an ID would deprive a person from voting if they are a legal US citizen ?
Here... enjoy.

Voter ID | Brennan Center for Justice

Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry That dog won't hunt. You apparently have never heard of an Absentee ballot. Ask anyone who served in the military.
How, pray tell, so you propose to apply a Voter ID law to absentee ballots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
Students are NOT considered full time residents. If they were, they would be paying in state tuition.
What about the students who are paying in-state tuition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
The reason some colleges are cracking is because some students have (or have tried) voted in BOTH places.
What colleges? We were talking about state laws, not college policies.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM

524 posts, read 400,336 times
Using an absentee ballot IS voting, so how is it not comparable? If you are a registered voter, then you can request a ballot and it will be sent to the address that the Voting Commission has on record, for the military it's a bit different. It is the individuals responsibility to update their information.

If students are residents in their state, then they can vote in their home of record. To become a resident of their college town/city, they must meet certain requirements such as having their vehicle registered or have a utility bill. Most college kids and young adults do not vote in local elections or even pay attention to local politics, and with politicians targeting colleges they seem to get spoon-fed their views.

S. Carolina attempted to implement voter I.D. laws and even offered to bus the poor, elderly, and others to get a state I.D. free of charge, but apparently that is still racist. Go figure.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I should think a college student is of majority age and is a resident of where he or she chooses. While a state may have a regulation governing tuition that does not extend to residency. In NV if you work or have a car instate for more than 30 days you are considered a resident...and they want the high registration fee for your vehicle. You can register to vote when you register your vehicle.
'I should think"

Instead of "thinking", find out what the laws are.

Majority age has nothing to do with it.

Your premise is ALL wrong.

IF you choose to become a resident of the state you are going to college in, you GIVE UP residency in your former state.

I do not know all the Nevada residency laws buy, I did find this 9which is common in most states)

"I have lived in Nevada for 12 months, but I never changed my driver’s license.
This is not a university-established requirement. This is a requirement of the State of Nevada. Nevada law requires new residents to change your license or ID within 30 days of relocating. You can keep your out-of-state license if you are to be considered an out-of-state student. The 12-month period during which you establish residency does not start until you change your license. Other acceptable items include a Nevada voter registration card or vehicle registration.
UNLV Graduate College | Admissions | Residency FAQ

"First-Time Registration Nevada law requires you to register your vehicle with the state if you have recently:
  • Purchased a new or used car
  • Become a new resident of Nevada
  • Received a vehicle as a gift or inheritance
While students and active military personnel living in Nevada are typically allowed to keep their current vehicle registration from their home state, they will be required to register their vehicle in Nevada if they obtain employment in the state.
Nevada Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Changing States, New Vehicle Purchases, Non Operational at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

You can only be a resident of ONE STATE AT A TIME in order to STOP you from voting in both states.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have expired ID and would not be able to vote in person. (By staying with my GF where she lives a few blocks outside of town while the polls are open, I am eligible for an absentee ballot as long as I have it mailed to her house or somewhere else outside of town.)

College towns love to regulate students, I say No Regulation Without Representation. This regulation invariably harms poor nonstudents, e.g. max unrelated occupancy of two prices out poor nonstudents, so as a former poor nonstudent resident, I had a vested interest in students voting at school in order to slow thhe regulatory creep. Similarly, every self-supporting student has a vested interest in voting at college because the regulations substantially affect where and how (expensively) you will live there.
"I have expired ID" What part of taking responsibility for your own actions do you NOT understand?

Being "poor" or NOT being "poor" has nothing to do with it.

The VAST majority of students have a drivers license which is accepted in every state, I believe.

If you are going to school out of state it is NOT hard to request an absentee Ballot.

You register vote in the district of the state where you are a permanent resident.

If you want to vote where you go to college you can becomes a permanent resident of that state.

IF you really want to vote, it isn't that hard.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? SCOTUS said (1971?) that students can vote at college if that is were they reside more than half the year. Many states have similar rules for tax purposes, e.g. at least 183 days a year makes you a (taxable) resident.

Some snowbirds claim a homestead exemption in two states, where is the outrage and the crackdown?
So, what is the problem? You vote ONCE where you choose to claim as your residence.

Florida USED to let you keep your old license from your previous state. I believe they have changed it and you have to claim one state or the other.

I don't know the laws of other states but, I believe you can only vote in 1 state.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
Using an absentee ballot IS voting, so how is it not comparable?
How do you check an ID via absentee voting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol
If students are residents in their state, then they can vote in their home of record. To become a resident of their college town/city, they must meet certain requirements such as having their vehicle registered or have a utility bill. Most college kids and young adults do not vote in local elections or even pay attention to local politics, and with politicians targeting colleges they seem to get spoon-fed their views.
Let's pretend all of that is true. So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol
S. Carolina attempted to implement voter I.D. laws and even offered to bus the poor, elderly, and others to get a state I.D. free of charge, but apparently that is still racist. Go figure.
Flaccid gestures do not ameliorate the intent of the law.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
How, pray tell, so you propose to apply a Voter ID law to absentee ballots?

What about the students who are paying in-state tuition?

What colleges? We were talking about state laws, not college policies.
1. You have to prove who you are when you register.

2, If you are paying in state tuition you prbably are a resident of that state. If not provisions are made.

3. Colleges are co-operating with the states to ensure voter fraud is diminished.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM

977 posts, read 763,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The racist claim is only to keep illegals at the polls.
Only the disgusting left would make a claim that a law for all is racist. And there are enough idiotic people around here that agree with the lib pols on this. Can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies