Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM

957 posts, read 758,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Probably get some quick relief for the town. Homes in a 5-6 block radius flattened, post office gone and a few other facilities as well as a school blown away and a nursing home.

I would think temp shelter and services for immediate relief for the people.
You might want to suggest to your governor that Texas enact some zoning regulations. Putting residences, schools & nursing homes around industry is an invitation to disaster.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
You might want to suggest to your governor that Texas enact some zoning regulations. Putting residences, schools & nursing homes around industry is an invitation to disaster.
Are you saying that TX doesn't have zoning laws?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Right. Answer that question. Are you saying that Texas doesn't have zoning laws?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. Answer that question. Are you saying that Texas doesn't have zoning laws?
Putting a nursing home across the street from a fertilizer plant would suggest that if they do, that they're not enforced. How many homes were leveled by the explosion? How far were those homes from the site?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Putting a nursing home across the street from a fertilizer plant would suggest that if they do, that they're not enforced. How many homes were leveled by the explosion? How far were those homes from the site?
The gov didn't "put" the nursing homes there. You are thinking of the Love Canal.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The gov didn't "put" the nursing homes there. You are thinking of the Love Canal.
When did I say the "gov" put the nursing home there? I'm talking about zoning ordinances. You don't put residences & schools alongside industry that's dealing with explosives. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
When did I say the "gov" put the nursing home there? I'm talking about zoning ordinances. You don't put residences & schools alongside industry that's dealing with explosives. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
They weren't dealing with explosives. They were dealing with fertilizer. The factory did not carry diesel fuel and did not explode until water was mixed with the ammonia nitrate. In either case, provide proof that TX doesn't have zoning ordinances.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Are you saying that Texas doesn't have zoning laws?

That's really odd - because I've lived in several different communities in Texas over the past twenty years and without exception, these communities have STRINGENT zoning laws.

In fact, we just had a big HOA meeting down at our town hall recently over some zoning laws that were in question one street over from our neighborhood.

What you are not grasping is that Texas zoning laws are determined at a community level. In case you've failed to notice, Texas is a REALLY BIG STATE, with extremely diverse topography, industries, etc. Because of this, Texas doesn't control much zoning from the state level - I can hardly imagine what the size of that bureaucratic arm of the government would have to be. Texas simply isn't a "one size fits all" state, so the state government has determined that zoning should be handled at a local level.

The zoning department of city hall in West did a very poor job of controlling the zoning of that community. The owners and management of the fertilizer plant were criminally negligent. Those who built apartment buildings and schools and nursing homes so close to the facility were very poorly informed and in my opinion, irresponsible. And, I hate to say it and will probably get beat up for this, but if I were considering working at that plant, I surely wouldn't have moved my family into an apartment so close to the place, nor would I have put my mom in that nursing home - or sent my kids to those schools.

That being said, most people would just assume that NO ONE WOULD BE NEGLIGENT ENOUGH TO STORE THAT MUCH EXPLOSIVE MATERIAL AT THAT SITE. I mean, how many of us live near an industrial area and never even THINK about what may be stored there, or produced there, or whether or not the companies there abide by safety regulations?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They weren't dealing with explosives. They were dealing with fertilizer. The factory did not carry diesel fuel and did not explode until water was mixed with the ammonia nitrate. In either case, provide proof that TX doesn't have zoning ordinances.
So the responders were at fault for responding to a fire. That makes no sense. Proof would be that they allow residences, schools, & nursing homes to be built next to industry. So, if they have zoning ordinances, they're very lax in enforcing them. But then we do know that Texas is all about protecting the corporation & to hell with the welfare of the public.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you saying that Texas doesn't have zoning laws?

That's really odd - because I've lived in several different communities in Texas over the past twenty years and without exception, these communities have STRINGENT zoning laws.

In fact, we just had a big HOA meeting down at our town hall recently over some zoning laws that were in question one street over from our neighborhood.

What you are not grasping is that Texas zoning laws are determined at a community level. In case you've failed to notice, Texas is a REALLY BIG STATE, with extremely diverse topography, industries, etc. Because of this, Texas doesn't control much zoning from the state level - I can hardly imagine what the size of that bureaucratic arm of the government would have to be. Texas simply isn't a "one size fits all" state, so the state government has determined that zoning should be handled at a local level.

The zoning department of city hall in West did a very poor job of controlling the zoning of that community. The owners and management of the fertilizer plant were criminally negligent. Those who built apartment buildings and schools and nursing homes so close to the facility were very poorly informed and in my opinion, irresponsible. And, I hate to say it and will probably get beat up for this, but if I were considering working at that plant, I surely wouldn't have moved my family into an apartment so close to the place, nor would I have put my mom in that nursing home - or sent my kids to those schools.

That being said, most people would just assume that NO ONE WOULD BE NEGLIGENT ENOUGH TO STORE THAT MUCH EXPLOSIVE MATERIAL AT THAT SITE. I mean, how many of us live near an industrial area and never even THINK about what may be stored there, or produced there, or whether or not the companies there abide by safety regulations?
That's why we have regulators. These regulators inspect the facilities. This just goes to show we can't (as some suggest) leave corporations to self regulation. In order to maintain a crew of regulators we must fund it. Now, how best do you suggest we fund the regulators?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies