Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Therefore, we can put you on the record as choosing safety over liberty.
Like I already said, it is not a matter of liberty, and (again) the Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of airport searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to who?

The Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of airport search simply because such search is reasonable because it is done in an effort to prevent mass murder. As long as the threat of terrorism exists, the searches are authorized.
Fair enough. Would you please provide this case ruling by the Supreme Court?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
And the last time a commercial airliner was hijacked in this country was when?
Why does one have to be?
The point of terrorism is to cause enough fear so that time, money and convenience is wasted on preventing another possible occurence without ever having to perpetrate one.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 AM

311 posts, read 493,122 times
Quote:
What makes you think that these measures of security would be fail-proof? Remember, Not everything is guaranteed.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
What is your position on immigration? Should people be able to move in and out of this country freely?
As freely as i can move in and out of their countries.

My position on immigration is come here if you have something to offer and you're willing to live by our laws and culture. I don't care about your race, religion, language, or anything else.

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
9/11 and prior to that was in 1983.

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For those of you choosing safety......do you really think it can be guaranteed no matter what you are willing to put up with?
Straw man. Nobody believes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold
It's called a false sense of security and that would come at a very high cost.
That's why it's a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold
Once you gave up wahtever freedoms you are willing to lose to pay that price, you realize you would never be able to say you didn't get what you "paid for" and get your "money" back?
If I'm dead, I hardly suspect I'll be asking anybody for my money back.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Fair enough. Would you please provide this case ruling by the Supreme Court?
Did my questions scare you off? You seem to be ignoring them. Your not interested in anything other than rustling jimmies.

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why does one have to be?
The point of terrorism is to cause enough fear so that time, money and convenience is wasted on preventing another possible occurence without ever having to perpetrate one.
Wrong. The purpose of terrorism is to promote a political agenda. Fear is the tool, not the objective.

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
I refute the premise of your question. We do not "have" to be searched at all. You can choose to fly and be searched or you can choose not to fly and not be searched.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
U.S. airline passengers near the security checkpoint can be searched any time and no longer can refuse consent by leaving the airport, the nation’s largest federal appeals court ruled Friday.
Quote:
The decision (.pdf) by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the circuit’s 34-year-old precedent that over time was evolving toward limiting when passengers could refuse a search and leave the airport after they had checked their bags or placed items on the security screening X-ray machine. Citing threats of terrorism, the court ruled passengers give up all rights to be free of warrantless searches once a "passenger places hand luggage on a conveyor belt for inspection" or "passes though a magnetometer."
Court Says Travelers Can't Avoid Airport Searches | Threat Level | Wired.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies