Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times

Advertisements

For the last 8 days CNN 'international news' has given literally 24/7 coverage of this event, with the literal exclusion of any other news story.

Is this right and how does that equate to the description of 'international news channel'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
*shrugs shoulders*

MTV doesn't play music videos anymore. AMC doesn't play strictly American movie classics.

Just another business doing what it takes to make a buck.

Note: Sometimes I watch The Learning Channel but don't learn anything.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
If it can be said that there was any positive aspect of the terror attack it is that it seems to have solved the North Korean impending nuclear missle attack threat. Not a word for a week now.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 AM

To be fair, for one day there was some coverage of the Texas factory explosion but that seems to have been totally forgotten about now, as if it never happened.

It's weird if you ask me.

What about all the other stories going on?

Even the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen is exclusively about Boston.

Of course, the Boston event is terrible but even so, life must go on, so let's hear the other stories at the same time.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
I'm sure Kim is pouting over not getting any attention.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 AM

Perhaps that was the intention?

Maybe the top dogs in the govt have instructed CNN to do this?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
To be fair, for one day there was some coverage of the Texas factory explosion but that seems to have been totally forgotten about now, as if it never happened.

It's weird if you ask me.

What about all the other stories going on?

Even the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen is exclusively about Boston.

Of course, the Boston event is terrible but even so, life must go on, so let's hear the other stories at the same time.
Our media has Attention deficit disorder and can only focus on one story at a time. Don't get me wrong, the Boston story was important and I hate that it happened, but it shouldn't occupy all the medias attention. What happened in Texas? Over 15 people died and caused a huge explosion that caused huge damage to a town. Both of these were needless incidents (the Texas one resulting in more deaths though), but the Boston gets more coverage because there was a "bad" guy. What's going on with the North Korea issue and Gun control debate? I know the Senate didn't have enough votes, but that was it after that.

I had to turn off the TV, because it was just too much focus on the Boston incident.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Is this right and how does that equate to the description of 'international news channel'?
Why? Because it made the decision to do so. You're not forced to watch that coverage ... for 8 days. Actually, I don't think it was 8 days. Whatever. Just change the channel if you don't like what you see.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Perhaps that was the intention?

Maybe the top dogs in the govt have instructed CNN to do this?
CNN has had sagging viewership for years and is under huge pressure to deliver ratings and Boston is ratings.

If Justin Beiber was found running naked down the streets of Montreal singing "Fame" they'd dump Boston like a hot potato to cover this "Critical breaking news".

Did you not notice how bad the Boston coverage was? Error filled and hasty?

It doesn't take the govt. to make the news media behave like drunken chimpanzees....because that's the bulk of their viewership.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,533 times
CNN used to be a quality news channel but has not been for quite some time now. I can't watch because it always feels like they are obnoxiously overdoing a story to the point where it feels like they are cramming it down your throat. The nonstop "reporting" inevitably leads to misinformation being given to the public as they scramble to uncover new info to avoid being repetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies