Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
Can we discuss this? Can we also discuss that it's unfair how blacks are looked down upon when we enter a genre that we created, and that whites barely acknowledge us as the creators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=JsXK1w0Yrm4

I was watching this on yt, and was shocked at the comments being made by whites.Are they really that oblivious?
This is a new one on me, everybody and their dog knows the role that blacks played in rock & roll. I wouldn't put much stock in random comments made on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This is precisely why many black people don't go to blues festivals. They don't recognized the music as being their own anymore.
Its almost like we are embarrassed by it. I remember back in the mid-seventies arguing with a friend who ceaselessly derided the Blues as "slave music!" I never could get through to his uber-black back to Africa
brain that no musical form was more essential to soul of black folks in the South than the blues. The blues gave our people an art form for the open expression of their existence and the harshness of Southern life, not too unlike Hip-Hop today provides self-expression for the blues of black urban life today. Anyway, I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

Lightnin'Hopkins Mr Charlie, your rollin'mill is burnin' down - YouTube

Quote:
At this point in the game there is enough blame to go around.
True that.

Quote:
Why aren't black entrepreneurs in the music business doing this ?
Don't get me started.

Quote:
We cant turn back the hands of time. 100 years of Segregation gives black artist a different perspective. Black ; classical , folk and jazz musicians have to suppress their identity and unique perspectives to make a living.
Well I don't think that is true of for folk and jazz artist, I have never seen Wynton shy away for anything and no one from Ellington to Miles did either.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This is a new one on me, everybody and their dog knows the role that blacks played in rock & roll. I wouldn't put much stock in random comments made on the internet.
I guess a whole lot of people don't have dogs.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I don't know what garbage you read or heard to give you the impression that black blues artists were never honored for their influence in rock music, but the moron that wrote that or put that out on Y.T is simply a moron and a race baiter.
Look back in time and watch classic rock artists like Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Pete Townsend give credit to the blues musicians and how they were influenced by them. Pete Townsend goes into great detail about how his roommates American blues records were left behind and he was inspired by them. Most of the cover songs played by classic rock artist were blues songs....you know like Goin down to the river, Young Man's Blues.....
Jack White is also a blues junkie and has quite an extensive collection of old records as does Jimmy Page. Watch some of The Who's biographies before you try and cry racial discrimination...it is a tired old record it is......just sayin.
^^^This^^^

Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Well I don't think that is true of for folk and jazz artist, I have never seen Wynton shy away for anything and no one from Ellington to Miles did either.

I'm not sure why I put Jazz in the category, but yes indeed Jazz musicians seem to be one group that can be relied on to express their unique perspectives in their performance as well as their compositions.

Some of the new young black folk musicians I see not so much .They seem to want to connect with white audiences who appreciate black folk music. And not black audiences who want to see or discover what a true black folk musician is in this modern age.

Something the music business has done to pull the wool over our eyes for many years is renaming music.
If a white artist copies Marvin Gaye or James Brown its called "Neo Soul." Copy Louis Jordan, it’s called "Jump Blues"
Blues festivals are such boring affairs because the copy cat syndrome is too pervasive.

Since the publication of "Slave Songs in the United States" People have over romanticized black music .Most people collecting blues music believe you have to go down south and get some ignorant old guy drunk, buy him a guitar and exploit his music. I read recently that Pullman Porters bought black records in the north that were not available in the south and sold them in the south. This backs up a little research I heard years ago that blues music was not solely black southern music but southern interpretations of northern black music.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If a white artist copies Marvin Gaye or James Brown its called "Neo Soul." Copy Louis Jordan, it’s called "Jump Blues"
Well that's a WTF revelation. Neo Soul... Jump Blues???

Quote:
This backs up a little research I heard years ago that blues music was not solely black southern music but southern interpretations of northern black music.
Interesting. It can't be denied that when the Blues went to Chicago and met Mr. Fender and Mr. Gibson that a new style of play was born but the folks who were playing it were still from Itta Bena, White Station, McComb, Coahoma or Issaquena County, Mississippi. But then it makes some sense because blues records weren't being pressed in Clarksdale, or Jackson, but in Chicago, and New York.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:06 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Not this heavy metal modern stuff that whites have taken over, and claimed as theirs?Although that as well could be contributed to what blacks created as well.
Heavy metal was influenced by blues. That is probably what you're referring too.

Now if you're looking for other heavy bands with blacks in them, then check out the following:

Sepultura
God Forbid
Suffocation
King's X
Skindred
Rage Against The Machine
Sevendust
Living Color
Slash
Bad Brains
Animals as Leaders
Devil You Know
Crackdust
Judas Priestess
Skunk Anansie
Candiria
Suicidal Tendencies
Blasphemy
Hirax
Body Count

Also, read this book:

What Are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman's Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal: Laina Dawes, Skin: 9781935950059: Amazon.com: Books

There are also a few African metal bands:

7 African Metal Bands to Check Out

Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Can we discuss this? Can we also discuss that it's unfair how blacks are looked down upon when we enter a genre that we created, and that whites barely acknowledge us as the creators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=JsXK1w0Yrm4

I was watching this on yt, and was shocked at the comments being made by whites.Are they really that oblivious?
One thing I would never do is take comments on youtube seriously. They're among the most idiotic comments in all the Internet. I think the bulk of the commenters are between 12 - 18 years old, so what do they know about rock n roll or who created it (or much of anything else for that matter)?

I think most people know very well the roots of rock n roll. I personally love to see black musicians in rock n roll.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:23 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Well, as far as the comments go, it's YouTube. Between the teenaged idiots, and the stormfronters that organize to write white supremacist junk in comment sections, it's always awful. I wouldn't say it represents the average rock fan.
Is that what's happening? I never realized they organized to do that, but it makes sense. Every time I read an article on the Internet about a crime or murder involving black people, the comments are disgusting. I hope black people realize that they are not representative of most white people's thoughts.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
The Godmother of Rock n Roll. Not sure if she was mentioned yet, but Sister Rosetta Tharpe is often forgotten.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Up Above My Head - YouTube

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-22-2014 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies