Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Something is not adding up here. Progressive states should be comparative paradises for Blacks compared to "racist" conservative states. Yet Wisconsin boasts some pretty atrocious numbers for Blacks. Can a liberal break this down for me? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
The University of Wisconsin researchers say their analysis was truly eye-opening. They found that Wisconsin's incarceration rate for black men — 13 percent — was nearly double the country's rate.

"We were so far above everybody else. That just sort of stunned us when we saw that," says Professor John Pawasarat, who studied two decades of Wisconsin's prison and employment data.
Wisconsin Prisons Incarcerate Most Black Men In U.S. : Code Switch : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
I don't know. You're black (), why don't you answer your own question?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 AM

'Alarming' racial disparities continue to plague Dane County : Wsj

Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I don't know. You're black (), why don't you answer your own question?
I've never been to Wisconsin by the looks of it I wouldn't be welcomed there.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're black (), try answering your own question.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,001 times
According to the article, Wisconsin was first and Oklahoma 2nd. Both states have very conservative governors.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why are you posting an article about a place you have never been to?

FYI, I did and am still doing research on Madison due to looking to go to UW at Madison for an MBA in the next couple years. They are my first choice but since I have kids I have to make sure that the school and environment in an area is a good one for my family before solidifying a plan to move to a new city.

FWIW, I have found that Madison has a horrible achievement gap in regards to public education, one of the worse in the country. A particular site I went to in regards to test scores there showed that white students were proficient at 90+ percentage, while black were less than 20%. Due to low rates of education being linked with criminality, I would assume that the achievement gap there is to blame.

Also, since I am not partisan, especially when it comes to education because I do feel that public education is more "liberally" slanted and that many teachers/administrators have discriminatory practices against black youth especially, I have no qualms with blaming the "liberals" in Madison for this. And so I am hesitant in moving there because even though my oldest kid is a good student, he needs a push at times and I would be concerned that they would see a minor lazy streak as a reason not to challenge my son because he is black or to think that he can't learn something just because he is black (which I feel is very common in education) or that they should not contact me about any issues he is having because I am black and they may think I wouldn't care so would set my son up to fail.

If we end up moving there (which I am leaning against due to their achievement gap, which is worse than a lot of larger urban school districts) then I would homeschool both of my kids because I'd be afraid the administration there wouldn't care about them the way they would a white or Asian child.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Wisconsin is no more racist than any other place.

Milwaukee has always had some pretty rough racial tensions, but what else is new. In my forays into Wisconsin, courtesy of one of my Army buddies that lives in Racine (who is black and married to a white lady), i've seen nothing that i'd find alarming. Every white person i'd met was nothing short of courteous and seemingly fair minded. Interracial marriage in Wisconsin (metro areas) is incredibly high...much higher than you'll find in most of America with the exception of the Pac-Northwest.

Blacks get incarcerated in Wisconsin in those numbers because they're committing crimes. The Chicago influx bleeds over into Racine/Kenosha/Milwaukee and it causes lots of problems.

As for Madison, i can't concur. I LOVE Madison...i have a great time every time i've had the privilege to visit. I have an old college buddy that's a professor at UW, and we've been trying to arrange our schedules so i can visit again. If the humidity wasn't so crappy, it's a place that i'd live in in a heartbeat in the summer months.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
you should look at education.
2 years ago I looked at Texas vs Wisconsin

What I found was WI ranked 5th in the nation and Texas (if memory serves) was around 25

but when looked at by race,
Texas did a better job of educating
whites
blacks
hispanics.

WI was ranked higher because it had more white kids.

its kind of a joke, those northern states that rank higher do so because of low minority populations.

Last edited by Ferd; 10-07-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why are you posting an article about a place you have never been to?

FYI, I did and am still doing research on Madison due to looking to go to UW at Madison for an MBA in the next couple years. They are my first choice but since I have kids I have to make sure that the school and environment in an area is a good one for my family before solidifying a plan to move to a new city.

FWIW, I have found that Madison has a horrible achievement gap in regards to public education, one of the worse in the country. A particular site I went to in regards to test scores there showed that white students were proficient at 90+ percentage, while black were less than 20%. Due to low rates of education being linked with criminality, I would assume that the achievement gap there is to blame.

Also, since I am not partisan, especially when it comes to education because I do feel that public education is more "liberally" slanted and that many teachers/administrators have discriminatory practices against black youth especially, I have no qualms with blaming the "liberals" in Madison for this. And so I am hesitant in moving there because even though my oldest kid is a good student, he needs a push at times and I would be concerned that they would see a minor lazy streak as a reason not to challenge my son because he is black or to think that he can't learn something just because he is black (which I feel is very common in education) or that they should not contact me about any issues he is having because I am black and they may think I wouldn't care so would set my son up to fail.

If we end up moving there (which I am leaning against due to their achievement gap, which is worse than a lot of larger urban school districts) then I would homeschool both of my kids because I'd be afraid the administration there wouldn't care about them the way they would a white or Asian child.
if you havent already, this is a great site to get some information on education..
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/

you will have to wait for the gov. shutdown to end...

Also, DO NOT LOOK at the overall rating. It wont help you. since your kids are black, look at the state ratings for black kids. you might be surprised.

for example Mass is far better than Texas overall, but Texas does a better job of educating black kids than Mass....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies