Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Something is not adding up here. Progressive states should be comparative paradises for Blacks compared to "racist" conservative states. Yet Wisconsin boasts some pretty atrocious numbers for Blacks. Can a liberal break this down for me? Thanks in advance.

Wisconsin Prisons Incarcerate Most Black Men In U.S. : Code Switch : NPR

An effective and competent police force?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you should look at education.
2 years ago I looked at Texas vs Wisconsin

What I found was WI ranked 5th in the nation and Texas (if memory serves) was around 25

but when looked at by race,
Texas did a better job of educating
whites
blacks
hispanics.

WI was ranked higher because it had more white kids.

its kind of a joke but outside of Mass., Those northern states that rank higher do so because of low minority populations.
This is true.

I think it is a misconception though that due to a state being "liberal" that they better educate all of their students. WI has one of the worst achievement gaps in the country, people try to blame it on Milwaukee and its horrible school system but even in smaller cities like Madison there are horrible achievement gaps in collaboration with "excellent" schools for white and Asian children.

But FWIW, I don't think that those northern states that rank high in regards to education do so because of low minority populations. My home state of Ohio has 5 major cities and has a black population more than double the national black population and they rank higher than WI as well. MD and VA both usually rank high, even southern states having been steadily climbing in rank like GA and AR.

Last Year Education Week - Quality Counts Ranking gave report card that showed the following top ten states:

MD
MA
NY
VA
AR
NJ
GA
VT
WV
OH

Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is true.

I think it is a misconception though that due to a state being "liberal" that they better educate all of their students. WI has one of the worst achievement gaps in the country, people try to blame it on Milwaukee and its horrible school system but even in smaller cities like Madison there are horrible achievement gaps in collaboration with "excellent" schools for white and Asian children.

But FWIW, I don't think that those northern states that rank high in regards to education do so because of low minority populations. My home state of Ohio has 5 major cities and has a black population more than double the national black population and they rank higher than WI as well. MD and VA both usually rank high, even southern states having been steadily climbing in rank like GA and AR.

Last Year Education Week - Quality Counts Ranking gave report card that showed the following top ten states:

MD
MA
NY
VA
AR
NJ
GA
VT
WV
OH
it would be worth looking at again. but that was the case some time back based on The Nations Report Card. which is a government run site. I was actually shocked when i found that. I was just looking for rankings and when I found that with the info broken down by race, it shocked me. I honestly expected to see those East Coast northern states at the top and sure enough they were...but when broken down by race, they were getting beaten my a middle of the road Texas in all catagories. Now that is just one rating system and there are many but it sure was interesting finding.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
it would be worth looking at again. but that was the case some time back based on The Nations Report Card. which is a government run site. I was actually shocked when i found that. I was just looking for rankings and when I found that with the info broken down by race, it shocked me. I honestly expected to see those East Coast northern states at the top and sure enough they were...but when broken down by race, they were getting beaten my a middle of the road Texas in all catagories. Now that is just one rating system and there are many but it sure was interesting finding.
I think a lot of people are shocked when they see the breakdown of achievement by race. In many states, it is better for a black person to go to school in the south than in the north.

Like I stated before, I do think many liberal educators view black children as kids to pity so they don't challenge them and think that because they are black they cannot achieve the way a white or Asian child can achieve, an attitude that I feel is prevalent in the general public as well. Also, due to the low numbers of black kids especially in many northern states, they don't place as much attention on them like a southern state will for both blacks and Hispanics because the low amount of black students underperforming in many northern states will not bring down the entire state like it will in many southern and mid-western areas.

And FWIW, on the link I posted above, TX was ranked higher than WI as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Why are you posting an article about a place you have never been to?

FYI, I did and am still doing research on Madison due to looking to go to UW at Madison for an MBA in the next couple years. They are my first choice but since I have kids I have to make sure that the school and environment in an area is a good one for my family before solidifying a plan to move to a new city.

FWIW, I have found that Madison has a horrible achievement gap in regards to public education, one of the worse in the country. A particular site I went to in regards to test scores there showed that white students were proficient at 90+ percentage, while black were less than 20%. Due to low rates of education being linked with criminality, I would assume that the achievement gap there is to blame.

Also, since I am not partisan, especially when it comes to education because I do feel that public education is more "liberally" slanted and that many teachers/administrators have discriminatory practices against black youth especially, I have no qualms with blaming the "liberals" in Madison for this. And so I am hesitant in moving there because even though my oldest kid is a good student, he needs a push at times and I would be concerned that they would see a minor lazy streak as a reason not to challenge my son because he is black or to think that he can't learn something just because he is black (which I feel is very common in education) or that they should not contact me about any issues he is having because I am black and they may think I wouldn't care so would set my son up to fail.

If we end up moving there (which I am leaning against due to their achievement gap, which is worse than a lot of larger urban school districts) then I would homeschool both of my kids because I'd be afraid the administration there wouldn't care about them the way they would a white or Asian child.
After business school I was contacted by a recruiter for a job in Milwaukee. It was at a Fortune 500 company and the pay would be more at the job I had at the time. I did some cursory research on Mikwaukee and decided against pursuing the opportunity. The reasons were related to what you found?

BTW are you applying through the Consortium? If so DM me if you need help with anything.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
You forgot the Major metro areas of the biggest Moonbat State in the Union and largest in the world: California.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
This is true. I think it is a misconception though that due to a state being "liberal" that they better educate all of their students. WI has one of the worst achievement gaps in the country, people try to blame it on Milwaukee and its horrible school system but even in smaller cities like Madison there are horrible achievement gaps in collaboration with "excellent" schools for white and Asian children.

MD
MA
NY
VA
AR
NJ
GA
VT
WV
OH
There is no definitive list of which states are "better" at educating students, since it all depends on what criterion you are using. Most rankings put far more weight into educational spending ("input") than they do measures of actual academic achievement ("output"), like the report above which ranks the states according to "six areas of policy and performance."

Check out the chart produced by Montana State University (Center for Applied Economic Research -), which shows the states ranked in order of educational input (spending) next to their ranking for educational output (academic achievement). Here are the highest spenders, and their results:

New York is #1 in input, #17 in output.
California is #2 in input, #36 in output.
Michigan is #3 in input, #40 in output.
New Jersey is #4 in input, #30 in output.

And similarly, the lowest spending states tend to do quite well in educational output, like North Dakota at #47 in input and #6 in output; and Montana at #46 in input and #7 in output. In other words, high spending does not equal high academic achievement; something we have known for decades but unfortunately hasn't stopped the idiotic spending race of politicians who won't be happy until every dollar a citizen earned is turned over for "the public (read: the wealthy ruling aristocracy's) good."

The "Quality Counts" reports are funded with support of the Pew Charitable Trusts, which makes "strategic investments that encourage and support citizen participation in addressing critical issues and effecting social change" (Pew Charitable Trusts - SourceWatch), and are published by a small non-profit group that is not exactly an academic, non-biased source. The ranking of states depends on what criteria are used--and very rarely is the criteria academic achievement (such as highest standardized test scores; highest percentage of high school graduates Most of these state-ranking articles (and there are hundreds every year) are published by groups pushing more "investment" in education, and consequently they rank the states by input rather than output (in other words, spending rather than results).

Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Why are you posting an article about a place you have never been to?

FYI, I did and am still doing research on Madison due to looking to go to UW at Madison for an MBA in the next couple years. They are my first choice but since I have kids I have to make sure that the school and environment in an area is a good one for my family before solidifying a plan to move to a new city.

FWIW, I have found that Madison has a horrible achievement gap in regards to public education, one of the worse in the country. A particular site I went to in regards to test scores there showed that white students were proficient at 90+ percentage, while black were less than 20%. Due to low rates of education being linked with criminality, I would assume that the achievement gap there is to blame.

Also, since I am not partisan, especially when it comes to education because I do feel that public education is more "liberally" slanted and that many teachers/administrators have discriminatory practices against black youth especially, I have no qualms with blaming the "liberals" in Madison for this. And so I am hesitant in moving there because even though my oldest kid is a good student, he needs a push at times and I would be concerned that they would see a minor lazy streak as a reason not to challenge my son because he is black or to think that he can't learn something just because he is black (which I feel is very common in education) or that they should not contact me about any issues he is having because I am black and they may think I wouldn't care so would set my son up to fail.

If we end up moving there (which I am leaning against due to their achievement gap, which is worse than a lot of larger urban school districts) then I would homeschool both of my kids because I'd be afraid the administration there wouldn't care about them the way they would a white or Asian child.
That's interesting about the achievement gap. Where does Texas rank in that gap, and more particularly Katy Independent School District? Or perhaps you could link the website.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
if you havent already, this is a great site to get some information on education..
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/

you will have to wait for the gov. shutdown to end...

Also, DO NOT LOOK at the overall rating. It wont help you. since your kids are black, look at the state ratings for black kids. you might be surprised.

for example Mass is far better than Texas overall, but Texas does a better job of educating black kids than Mass....
Hmm, I'd always heard that all groups did better in Mass, but I'm not surprised Texas does better at educating minority populations since we actually have them (compared to Mass anyway).

Old 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Something is not adding up here. Progressive states should be comparative paradises for Blacks compared to "racist" conservative states. Yet Wisconsin boasts some pretty atrocious numbers for Blacks. Can a liberal break this down for me? Thanks in advance.

Wisconsin Prisons Incarcerate Most Black Men In U.S. : Code Switch : NPR
"The explosion really took place in the year 2000 to 2008 where mandatory sentencing, three strikes was put in place and it more than tripled the population in just a few years, "

The article itself explained why. More proof you dont read your own links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies