Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times

Advertisements

IMO Its got to be the A&R people record labels have hired over the years. They may be cut from a more conservative non-creative cloth than their counterparts in the industry. For instance I can't see an A&R guy out shopping for a black Punk or death Metal Band. Don't get me wrong they are out there but most will wither on the vine.

I think they ( Artist and Repertoire executives) operate on the assumption that black people will take a first look at black artist and white people will take a first look at white artist. Their objective is not to be part of a political agenda, expand our minds or show us the possibilities. They need to get an artist who can sell at least 10,000 units or what ever it takes to cover cost.

I think many white artist in R&R pay tribute when its is due and some figure its a fore gone conclusion and don't waste time on it. One of the reasons there are so many white blues bands is because there are so many white blues fans. When more black people start showing up at death metal venues the A&R guys will follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
May not be a mainstream thing anymore but on local scenes and across youtube you'll find plenty of rockers besides white boys like me.

Here is a Earl Brown a local around my local club scene that gigs outs regularly ripping out on guitar and doing rock/metal.

Here is doing acoustic Dokken a 80's metal hair band.

Alone Again Earl & Wolfman - YouTube

I video taped him at a local club in March here...

Earl Brown Eruption style solo performance - YouTube

And here is a guy I go to when I want to see Rush guitar songs done right

Alex Lifeson Red Barchetta by Rush - YouTube

Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IMO Its got to be the A&R people record labels have hired over the years. They may be cut from a more conservative non-creative cloth than their counterparts in the industry. For instance I can't see an A&R guy out shopping for a black Punk or death Metal Band. Don't get me wrong they are out there but most will wither on the vine.
The Problem, has always been and remains a result of record companies, promoters and radio programers from the days of classifying African American Rhythm and Blues as "Race Records" to today's bean counters and the rise of radio behemoths like Clear Channel. If it hadn't been for pioneering independent labels like Chess, Elektra, Sun, and Atlantic Records, and the DJ's who then had the power to play what they liked when they liked it Rock and Roll was just...well Rock and Roll. I remember the early days of FM radio where you could hear Motown being played alongside the Jefferson Airplane. That sort of musical integration ended in the 70's with a brief period total integration during the, as perverted as it may sound, during the Disco era only to emerge from that period with with a music business more segregated than ever before.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,617 times
I have memories of being a kid in the 1980s. Imagine, if you will, the older brother of a friend. Mullet mustache combo, tube top, Trans Am in constant state of repair, you know the story. "Duuuuude, f*ck that n****er music, it's all about the f***in Crue!!! Yeeaaahhh man!!!!!"

I guess it's still like that. Replace the mullet and tube top with a baseball cap and hoodie, replace the TransAm with a lift-kitted pickup, and replace Motley Crue with whatever crappy bro rock is big right now.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,617 times
Oh, and I forgot to add. All the thrash/death/black/whatever metal, not to mention hardcore itself (oldschool or otherwise), which all seems to be as 'non-black' as rock-and-roll can possibly be, simply would not exist as we know it were it not for the Bad Brains.

A bunch of jazz fusion musicians from the 'blackburbs' of D.C. were exposed to a Ramones record one day and were told that it was the fastest rock and roll band ever. They looked at each other and said "we can outdo that." The Ramones brought back the 3 minute rock song. The Bad Brains invented the 90 second thrash song, and the crazy part is, they even managed to do it with soul.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0
won the Grammy award for "Best Hard Rock Performance" in 1989
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Personality_(song)

Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
The very idea that there is black music and white music is an invention of the music industry to satisfy segregationist. For every form of "black Music" there is a white counterpart and for every form of "white music" there is a black counter part. Most lasting forms of American music were developed as the result of collaborations between black and white musicians. The greatest American pop, rock, country, and R&B artist are probably individuals who defied this standard and were appreciated by black and white audiences.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,433 times
Jimi Hendrix is argueably the most influential rock guitar player in history and he's black and Eminem is arguably the most popular and influential hip hop artist of all time and he's white.

No one race owns rock and roll or any other form of music. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE steals/borrows/copies/is influenced by from those that preceeded them.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Jimi Hendrix is argueably the most influential rock guitar player in history and he's black and Eminem is arguably the most popular and influential hip hop artist of all time and he's white.

No one race owns rock and roll or any other form of music. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE steals/borrows/copies/is influenced by from those that preceeded them.
Em ISN'T arguably the most popular or influential rapper of all time. Top 10 maybe, but certainly not top 5.

And you're right, no race owns any music.

I think the case is simply being made that blacks are basically the inventors of the rock and roll genre. That's a no brainer. But of course whites have made very significant contributions to the genre.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The very idea that there is black music and white music is an invention of the music industry to satisfy segregationist. For every form of "black Music" there is a white counterpart and for every form of "white music" there is a black counter part. Most lasting forms of American music were developed as the result of collaborations between black and white musicians. The greatest American pop, rock, country, and R&B artist are probably individuals who defied this standard and were appreciated by black and white audiences.
Yes, but you're dismissing the fact that in the earliest years of rock, when it was as underground music and played at the end of the radio dial on "race record" stations, it was VERY MUCH considered to be black music. That's because it most certainly was.

Fast forward 10-15 years...early 60's, British Invasion. At this point, it was certainly not "race music" anymore. British blues bands were regurgitating sounds that had been right here in America for 60 years if not longer. The big question remains as to why British bands had adopted a sound that white American bands had overlooked for decades.

However, I agree that there was a good bit of cross pollenization of musical sounds in this country. But still, without African Americans, you get no blues, no rock (by extension), no soul, no jazz (worth listening to), no bluegrass, and certainly nothing like rap or house.

What you'd have can only be left to the imagination, but I sure as hell don't wanna imagine it. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies