Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,231,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Quick math quiz

if 46 voted for it, and 5 Democrats voted against it, had those 5 voted for it, that would be how many?

Here, let me hold your hand, thats
46 + 5 = ?

Since you cant seem to be able to do math, that would be 51.. Enough to push the bill forward under Haster Rules (rquiring 51) which is what THEY SAID they were going for.

ONCE AGAIN.

My colleague Jonathan Strong reported Wednesday that their strategy in part was to generate enough political support for their legislation such that Speaker John A. Boehner and the House GOP leadership would have felt compelled to break the “Hastert rule” again, and bring the bill on the floor so that it could clear with the votes of most Democrats but less than a majority of Republicans.
I wish I could "type slowly" because you seem unable to do basic math. There are 55 potential democratic votes in the Senate (53 D's and 2 I's). Four republicans voted for the bill. Even if every democrat and independent had voted for the bill, they would have had 55 + 4 = 59 votes. You need 60 for cloture. The R's let the bill go to the floor for a debate with the 51 vote rule, but they filibustered the amendments. Why are you talking about the House? This was the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,295,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I wish I could "type slowly" because you seem unable to do basic math. There are 55 potential democratic votes in the Senate (53 D's and 2 I's). Four republicans voted for the bill. Even if every democrat and independent had voted for the bill, they would have had 55 + 4 = 59 votes. You need 60 for cloture.
I wish I could type even slower because they werent going for cloture, once again, they were going for the HASTER RULE..

My colleague Jonathan Strong reported Wednesday that their strategy in part was to generate enough political support for their legislation such that Speaker John A. Boehner and the House GOP leadership would have felt compelled to break the “Hastert rule” again, and bring the bill on the floor so that it could clear with the votes of most Democrats but less than a majority of Republicans.

I dont know, call it weird that I'd take their word for what they wanted to do over some anonymous internet poster who doesnt know the difference between Haster, and cloture.. Both words do have an "e" in them, so I can understand how some are confused by that..

Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,381,480 times
That must be why they are able to put so many conservatives in office?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,964,742 times
IMHO the core of the Tea Party has become anti any government. These hyper rich thieves want to eliminate any stress or taxes on themselves. They have replaced the original TP that only wanted lower taxes while enjoying Social Security and government medical insurance. The current Tea Party is just the old hard line Republican plutocrats with a different name. That is costing them the supporters of the original TPers because they realize these guys would sacrifice them on the “cross of gold” these Mammonites worship.

I sincerely hope the new Tea Party gains complete control of the Republican Party and leads it into oblivion.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,231,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wish I could type even slower because they werent going for cloture, once again, they were going for the HASTER RULE..

I dont know, call it weird that I'd take their word for what they wanted to do over some anonymous internet poster who doesnt know the difference between Haster, and cloture.. Both words do have an "e" in them, so I can understand how some are confused by that..
You know what's funny about you--you insult people and rant and you really do have no idea what you're talking about. The HASTERT RULE (not Haster Rule) applies to the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES. NOT THE SENATE. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Senate. Each chamber has completely different rules. There is no "Hastert Rule" in the US Senate.

Majority of the majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a suggestion--I'd stop now. You're in over your head, and I'm getting bored arguing with stupid.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM

155 posts, read 110,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
While the Tea Party is losing strength as a separate movement, the Tea Party caucus of the GOP is going strong.

After three years of observing these folks, I have determined that they don't want to create jobs, jobs, jobs, ignite the economy, or erase the debt. Their primary goal is to discredit and defame President Obama. They won't do ANYTHING for Americans that might benefit him politically. It is all a bit silly now, as Obama won reelection, so their hatefulness has no strategic purpose. I've never seen anything like it. I suppose the McCarthy era was kind of like this, but that is before my time.

I would not put all Republicans in this camp at all, but the TP caucus is truly a national disgrace. And if republicans want to provide national leadership again, they will have to DO something besides try to screw the other guy and bring our country to its knees in the process.
Only one thing concerns the Tea Party and that is that someone like Obama got elected in the first place. If Kerry is elected in 2004 and Obama was never President and all conditions were the same right now you would have never heard of the Tea Party.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,295,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You know what's funny about you--you insult people and rant and you really do have no idea what you're talking about. The HASTERT RULE (not Haster Rule) applies to the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES. NOT THE SENATE. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Senate. Each chamber has completely different rules.
Majority of the majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
haha, they only required 60 votes because they voted to do so,

The gun amendments need 60 votes to pass. But why?

The latter scenario is the path Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) chose to take. He asked for the Senate’s unanimous consent to require 60 votes for each of the nine amendments. Since no senators objected, that’s where the bar is set.

Harry Reid, is a Democrat, right?

And once again, 46 + 5 = 51, which would have been enough to send it to the House had Democrats not been incompetent and failed so myserably.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,744,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The Tea Party are the only politicians that do what they said they were going to do after being elected. Look at their voting records on spending compared to other politicians that said they would cut government.

I think they should stick with their original message on lower taxes and smaller government. Get rid of the birthers and religious right and their agendas and they will gain in popularity.

Obama is the direct opposite of what the tea party wants. He wants to grow government. That is why they will constantly attack him.
The tea party derives its powers form the birthers and religious right. Without them there is no tea party.

Furthermore it is a farce Tea partiers cut Government spending- They are neocons to the bone and will continue to pump trillions into America's empirical military agenda.

The Tea Party also has done nothing to address corporate welfare.

The Tea PArty is nothing but more of the same BS. Obama Bush Tea Party- ALL THE SAME BS.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,744,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO the core of the Tea Party has become anti any government. These hyper rich thieves want to eliminate any stress or taxes on themselves. They have replaced the original TP that only wanted lower taxes while enjoying Social Security and government medical insurance. The current Tea Party is just the old hard line Republican plutocrats with a different name. That is costing them the supporters of the original TPers because they realize these guys would sacrifice them on the “cross of gold” these Mammonites worship.

I sincerely hope the new Tea Party gains complete control of the Republican Party and leads it into oblivion.
Yes they are anything but libertarian contrary to what the crazy bat Bachmann tells us.

They talk about being pro liberty - it is a complete crock. It is pro liberty in their far right wing religious/ corporatist distopia.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,710,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
While the Tea Party is losing strength as a separate movement, the Tea Party caucus of the GOP is going strong.

After three years of observing these folks, I have determined that they don't want to create jobs, jobs, jobs, ignite the economy, or erase the debt. Their primary goal is to discredit and defame President Obama. They won't do ANYTHING for Americans that might benefit him politically. It is all a bit silly now, as Obama won reelection, so their hatefulness has no strategic purpose. I've never seen anything like it. I suppose the McCarthy era was kind of like this, but that is before my time.

I would not put all Republicans in this camp at all, but the TP caucus is truly a national disgrace. And if republicans want to provide national leadership again, they will have to DO something besides try to screw the other guy and bring our country to its knees in the process.
You don't know what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies