Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So because we wouldnt want to stop something thats wrong, we will just create a law making something dumb, illegal... Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.. not..
So, because a tiny few might abort because of the sex of the fetus.....we should ban abortion for all?

Shall we apply that same logic to guns? Hmmmm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Because a tiny few might abort due to rape or incest it should be legal for all?

Last edited by bluesjuke; 05-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So, because a tiny few might abort because of the sex of the fetus.....we should ban abortion for all?

Shall we apply that same logic to guns? Hmmmm?
Extremist much ?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Extremist much ?
We all know that the "abortion due to the sex of the fetus" argument is just another back door avenue pro-lifers are using to ban abortion altogether, don't we?

How could you possibly prove exactly why someone has decided to abort?

IF I wanted to abort because of the sex of the fetus, and that was illegal, why would I tell you that was the reason I am deciding to abort?

Just exactly how would you enforce such a law?

You can't.....so we just need to ban all abortions. THAT is how pro-lifers think.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Because a tiny few might abort due to rape or oncest it should be legal for all?
Yes, all women have the right to decide whether or not they want to carry a pregnancy.....no matter what their reason is.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
We all know that the "abortion due to the sex of the fetus" argument is just another back door avenue pro-lifers are using to ban abortion altogether, don't we?

How could you possibly prove exactly why someone has decided to abort?

IF I wanted to abort because of the sex of the fetus, and that was illegal, why would I tell you that was the reason I am deciding to abort?

Just exactly how would you enforce such a law?

You can't.....so we just need to ban all abortions. THAT is how pro-lifers think.
No we don't. YOU do.

I'm not for banning all abortions.
I was just commenting on how casual it's become and what people are now using it for..selection.
I'm sure that was not thought about years ago when it became legal.

Do you realize what that can do to a population over time ?
Look at China regarding sex selection births.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No we don't. YOU do.

I'm not for banning all abortions.
I was just commenting on how casual it's become and what people are now using it for..selection.
I'm sure that was not thought about years ago when it became legal.

Do you realize what that can do to a population over time ?
Look at China regarding sex selection births.
Abortion has been legal in this country for 40 years.....and people aborting due to sex selection hasn't been a problem and isn't a problem now.....so why did you even bring it up?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Abortion has been legal in this country for 40 years.....and people aborting due to sex selection hasn't been a problem and isn't a problem now.....so why did you even bring it up?
Not in the US but it has problems in India/China where it's been practiced for a long time.
And many are working on this "problem" because it has become a problem after many years of practice.
But that's OK. We're not a proactive type of people. We wait until the crisis hits us in the face and it's too late to fix.

A Problem-and-Solution Mismatch: Son Preference and Sex-Selective Abortion Bans
At the macro level, the results of entrenched son preference are highly skewed national sex ratios, which in turn can have decidedly negative social consequences—again, largely for women and girls. Societies with heavily lopsided sex ratios may face a dearth of women for marriage, which could increase the likelihood of coerced marriages or bride abduction, trafficking of women and girls, and rape and other violence against women and girls. A large cohort of young, single men may lead to more crime-ridden, violent communities and general societal insecurity, especially in cultures where social standing is closely connected with marital status and fatherhood.
Women’s rights advocates, researchers, multilateral agencies and affected governments have been working on the problem of son preference and the outcome of imbalanced sex ratios for many years; however, with the limited exception of South Korea, relatively little headway has been made

Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
This is the thinking that Obama supports and even in the past has voted for.
For anyone who cares about the facts:

How The Right Wing Manufactured A Fake Controversy Over Planned Parenthood’s ‘Infanticide’

Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM

So if PP says post birth abortions are not happening then there is no issue and passing this Florida bill shouldn't be an issue..right ?

I just read the bill and all it states is that if a baby is born alive after an attempted abortion then it should be treated as any other child born alive.

If it's a non issue then why is it an issue ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies