Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
That infringes on rights though.

How about offering free gun safety training for anybody who wants it? Allow small groups to tag along and learn with LEO and their gun training.

The black market for guns will always be there. As of now, I only sale or trade privately with those who have a CCW. If they don't, I'll offer to go through a dealer. Thats just me. Offer an drivers license option/endorsement for those who want to have a firearms background check ran.

We can relax a lot of our current gun laws. All these laws we have dont affect the bad guys because they will do what they want when they want.

Lets enforce and toughen penalties for the bad guys. They are already scared of us who are armed because they dont want to die. They are not afraid of the government because they will just get a slap on the wrist.
You make some very good points.

Question, How exactly would a license to own be an infringement on rights? Which rights would that be?

Currently in Arizona the only requirement for a private gun sale is 1. You cannot knowingly sell a gun to a convicted felon and 2. The purchaser must be a resident of the state. I always check their drivers license before a sale to insure they are a resident.

Licensing would be just like driver's license and administered by the state. Certain knowledge and physical criteria would have to be met prior to issue, just like a driver's license.
With this system there is no background check every time you purchase a gun. There is no recording of the type of weapon or serial numbers anywhere. There is no data base of who has what guns for later confiscation. There is no restrictions on what gun you can own or sell. You could buy a gun as a present for anyone else without it being a straw purchase as long as they had a gun license.
If you're a responsible gun owner, what's not to like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Does your license tell folks your wife just took out a restraining order against you because you've threatened to kill her?
If you threatened to kill her, there may be more than just a restraining order. If she just accused you, than that's not grounds to strip a gun away.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Does your license tell folks your wife just took out a restraining order against you because you've threatened to kill her?
No, but the judge issuing the restraining order will most assuredly require you to surrender your license and your guns until the restraining order is rescinded.

This brings up a good point. With a nationwide licensing program administered by the states a lot of archaic gun laws on the books would be challenged and rescinded as they would no longer be necessary.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No, but the judge issuing the restraining order will most assuredly require you to surrender your license and your guns until the restraining order is rescinded.

This brings up a good point. With a nationwide licensing program administered by the states a lot of archaic gun laws on the books would be challenged and rescinded as they would no longer be necessary.
I'm not sure I understand. If your wife takes out a restraining order against you, you lose your driver's license?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
A license voids the value of and inalienable right.
A license is a grant of pernmission ,One willing to give away their rights so freely do not deserve them.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
True. In fact, you're better off without them, if you want to pretend something is wrong with law-abiding citizens owning and carrying their own guns, as poster mohawkx has been demonstrating.
Sorry if my posts get up your nose but I just think that arming 10,000 people and marching to the White house just for a confrontation with the government is a real stupid idea and is counter productive to gun rights advocates everywhere.

Let's just say that you get your 10,000 people and even Glen Beck and Sarah Palin show up. It all goes off without a hitch. What exactly will you have proved? What exactly is the message? That law abiding citizens are free to carry loaded guns down main street? So What? That's already the case so you're not breaking new ground. What it really is.... is an in your face threat to the Obama administration cloaked in the trappings of the 2nd amendment. It's provocative and really stupid. The chances of the organizers being in the front row of the armed citizenry are slim to none and slim just left town.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Let's just say that you get your 10,000 people and even Glen Beck and Sarah Palin show up. It all goes off without a hitch. What exactly will you have proved? What exactly is the message?
I asked that a while back. What is the message? What do they want?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You make some very good points.

Question, How exactly would a license to own be an infringement on rights? Which rights would that be?

Currently in Arizona the only requirement for a private gun sale is 1. You cannot knowingly sell a gun to a convicted felon and 2. The purchaser must be a resident of the state. I always check their drivers license before a sale to insure they are a resident.

Licensing would be just like driver's license and administered by the state. Certain knowledge and physical criteria would have to be met prior to issue, just like a driver's license.
With this system there is no background check every time you purchase a gun. There is no recording of the type of weapon or serial numbers anywhere. There is no data base of who has what guns for later confiscation. There is no restrictions on what gun you can own or sell. You could buy a gun as a present for anyone else without it being a straw purchase as long as they had a gun license.
If you're a responsible gun owner, what's not to like?
I believe it would infringe on the 2nd. They have passed specific laws which will prevent you from owning but getting licensed will be requesting permission to own.

If you are allowed to own a gun per current law, you should be allowed to buy, sell, or trade via private party without the governments interference.

I believe its our duty as citizens to buy, sell, and trade responsibly. This is where my volunteer drivers license/ID endorsement comes to play to help aid private sells. This only works though with law abiding citizen sales as we know the criminal ones wont care.

I think there should be a privately owned database for tracking stolen or missing firearms. No names, just a ID and serial number for those who want to participate. Imagine having a firearm coming up missing. You can report this to the private database and enter the weapon info and some other basic info. Its stored and the public now has access to it. You are assigned a number. Now, any buyer has the ability to check it. This may not help in catching thieves, but will help in keeping the stolen ones out of the hands of the law abiding ones. But, this will not work though because the government does not allow ID's given to people that they cannot identify.

There should be no state border restrictions for buying and selling. CCW's should be honored in all states.

I think we have a similar idea. I just want to tie the ccw/background check to an ID/drivers license. I want it to be voluntary, not mandatory.

To help solve the gun violence and gun crime issues. Harsh punishments. Make a tent city in AZ look like a vacation.

I think this is would start putting us on the right track.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
A license voids the value of and inalienable right.
A license is a grant of pernmission ,One willing to give away their rights so freely do not deserve them.
Not so. I disagree completely with your rhetoric.

An example would be the first amendment. Free speech is an individual right and is exercised by people with the most obnoxious things to say but they are allowed to say them due to the power of the first. But if you want to have a protest in a public place and exercise your free speech rights then you need to obtain a PERMIT for your protest. The permit process is constitutional and does not infringe on your free speech. It is considered a reasonable restriction.

I would consider a license requirement prior to owning a firearm a reasonable restriction. If you don't then you don't agree with the SCOTUS nor the system of government our forefathers set up. Every constitutional amendment is subject to reasonable restrictions. The argument is what exactly is considered reasonable. I challenge you to name one constitutional amendment that isn't subject to reasonable restrictions.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Plan to march on Washington with loaded guns.

Get your popcorn and come early for a seat. This will be entertaining.

Uh, you forgot the Source, OP.

Besides, we know that when more than two guns get together it's gonna be a blood bath, those things have a mind of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies