Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I agree with Simpsons Bowles because it cuts spending and raises more tax revenue.
But you take every opportunity to tell people their wrong when they say we need to lower the tax rates, even though the Simpsons Bowles says we should lower the tax rates?

Why is that?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Tax cuts do not cause a deficit.

Guess Who Really Pays the Taxes — The American Magazine

The government revenue increased by $785 billion from 2004 to 2007.
So if I decided to cut my house payment in half that won't affect me adversely? You tell me the difference.

Bush tripled the spending and halfed the income. Fuzzy math got us where we are.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The annual deficit has fallen 32% over the first seven months of this fiscal year compared with same period last year, according to Congressional Budget Office figures released Tuesday.

A major reason: A big jump in tax revenue.

Tax collections rose by $220 billion -- or 16% -- between the start of the fiscal year on Oct. 1 through April 30. Individual and payroll taxes accounted for $184 billion of that increase.

The tax haul rose sharply primarily because wages and salaries were higher, the payroll tax cut of the past two years expired on Jan. 1 and the fiscal cliff deal brokered over New Year's raised tax rates on high earners.

Spending, meanwhile, fell 1.9% year over year, the CBO estimated.

The biggest percentage drop occurred in the payment of unemployment benefits, which were down nearly 25%, or $15 billion. Defense spending fell 5.3%, or $20 billion, and "other activities" -- primarily spending on nondefense programs -- fell 8.6%, or $58 billion.
In other words, even though revenues went up $220B, we're still running a $450B deficit in just 7 months?

What about interest on the accrued debt? Obama said that Alqueda has been vanquished! Why are we still in Aghanastan and Iraq? Gitmo? Real unemployment of 16%?

Higher taxes have reduced deficits by 1/3rd, but have done nothing for deficit spending!

Should we cheer or cry?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So if I decided to cut my house payment in half that won't affect me adversely? You tell me the difference.

Bush tripled the spending and halfed the income. Fuzzy math got us where we are.
typical Obama voter, right here on display...

Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But you take every opportunity to tell people their wrong when they say we need to lower the tax rates, even though the Simpsons Bowles says we should lower the tax rates?

Why is that?
You just said we should raise tax rates on those not paying federal tax. That's raising rates. I support Simpson Bowles because it isn't revenue neutral. It does lower rates, but more tax is collected to pay down the debt.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
You just said we should raise tax rates on those not paying federal tax. That's raising rates. I support Simpson Bowles because it isn't revenue neutral. It does lower rates, but more tax is collected to pay down the debt.
I didn't support the Catfood Commission because it was charged with reducing the deficit and their first proposal was to cut tax-rates on upper-income Americans and cut spending on the most vulnerable.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Once again, lets recap where this conversation started, because you're now trying to spin your way out of pretending you didnt say something you clearly did.
Quote:
You've been saying that lower rates lead to more revenue, which in this case your position has been proven wrong.
And the debt commission said what again?
Quote:
2. $995 billion in additional revenue with $785 billion in new revenues from tax reform by lowering income and corporate tax rates and broadening the base by eliminating tax expenditures. An additional $210 billion in revenue is also raised in other revenue by switching to the Chained-CPI and an increase in the federal gasoline tax
Yep, thats right, they said we should LOWER the tax rates in order to ADD ADDITIONAL REVENUE.

Which once again YOU JUST SAID YOU AGREED WITH,
Quote:
I agree with Simpsons Bowles because it cuts spending and raises more tax revenue.
So why again are you arguing with me? I'm starting to wonder if you even had a clue what the debt commission said..

Hell, I've been saying this for YEARS, when will you catch up? This is from 2011
Quote:
Thats not what what the Republicans believe but even the Obama debt commission said we need to lower the taxes and broaden the tax base supporting the imaginary claim you just ridiculed..
It gets even comical because YOU said 2 years ago the exact same thing you are now saying I'm wrong about
Quote:
We need everyone to have some skin in the game when it comes to paying taxes. We need to broaden the base of taxes, lower the rates, get rid of the loopholes and tax shelters.
So did you change your opinion because of Obama talking points?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
It sounds to me like you are bothered that Obama and the Dems in Congress were extremely successful at cutting down the annual deficit?

Another win for the Dems !!!

Congratulations Democrats on cutting your trillion dollar deficits by just a little bit.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I didn't support the Catfood Commission because it was charged with reducing the deficit and their first proposal was to cut tax-rates on upper-income Americans and cut spending on the most vulnerable.
They would be paying more in taxes even with lower rates. The rich and corporations look like they are taxed at higher levels, but they pay a lot lower rate because the tax code favors them. We could get rid of their preferences in the tax code and lower rates and they will end up paying more taxes.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
You actually believe Obama will pay down the debt?

Not!!

He will spend as much as he can get away with and tax as much as he can to get more revenue to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies