Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM

46,296 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So based on the responses to this thread, Gun advocates have no responsibility to society any more than the general public does at large.

Also the question seemed to anger and distress gun advocates unnecessarily.

I had no agenda in the question. My larger agenda was to poll the good people here on C-D and find out what consensus there was concerning responsibility.
I am a moderate who collects guns and carries them all the time. My own opinion is that a licensing system similar to automobiles run by the states would go far at insuring that we have a nation of responsible gun owners, but that's just me and my opinion. Don't shoot me for it.

I can count the threads I've started over the last 4+ years on two fingers. I guess we can let this thread die as obviously there is no middle ground for anyone on this issue. It does appear that any spotlight or question posed to gun advocates is perceived as a threat.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on the issue.
How about a public database that you can query to see if the person you are buying/selling a gun to can actually have it? That would be much easier, and make more sense...

Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Can you provide some evidence that a person who is allowed to carry has done anything to hurt others....
No, and that's actually the point. People who carry concealed in most states have to go to classes and part of the training is the carrier's responsibility and consequences of carry and usage. Statistics have shown time and time again that CCW holders very rarely ever use their gun in a crime. So much so that the statistic is infinitesimal. Thanks for asking.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
How about a public database that you can query to see if the person you are buying/selling a gun to can actually have it? That would be much easier, and make more sense...
I don't want anyone looking up my information.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
No, and that's actually the point. People who carry concealed in most states have to go to classes and part of the training is the carrier's responsibility and consequences of carry and usage. Statistics have shown time and time again that CCW holders very rarely ever use their gun in a crime. So much so that the statistic is infinitesimal. Thanks for asking.
Here in MS, no class is required and our incidences of CCW holders committing a crime are no higher than anywhere else.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM

133 posts, read 172,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The golden rules of firearm safety are the responsibilities of gun owners.

1. All guns are always loaded!
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target
  4. Always be sure of your target!
That's pretty much it along with being a legal buyer/owner. Anything else is someones opinion.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
I'll see if I can shine a light on this from another angle, but I have a question. What does anyone owe to society in general? Do we all owe society the same thing, or does our responsibility differ with what we have to offer? The typical statist mindset is of the latter opinion, that we each owe something differently, and that collectively we complete the society as a whole, and that if everyone would just stick to their responsibilities, it would be rainbows, unicorns, and gumdrops 24/7. Those who recognize individual liberty and personal responsibility as the guiding principles in their lives give no special treatment to one person over another. That is why I quote I Thessalonians chapter 4 in my status line. My responsibility to society is to leave you alone to mind your own business, to work at raising my own family and keep my nose out of yours. I would hope that by my example, thise I come in contact with would repay me the same courtesy.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
That already exists with the form 4473 but only for dealers. A private seller can demand that the sale go through an FFL but none ever do. The only requirement for private sale in Arizona is that the seller cannot knowingly sell to a convicted felon and the seller must insure the buyer is a resident of the state.
Honestly, I lost count of the number of firearms I've sold in a Denny's parking lot over the last 30 years where all I did was check the person's driver's license.

As an aside, before all you jump on me for selling guns in a parking lot, that is the safest way to handle the transaction.
Both Buyer and seller know there are cameras watching and it's a fools move to have a total stranger come to your house when both of you are armed and carrying sums of money. Most the times after the sale we go have lunch in Denny's.

I think that a state issued firearm license would greatly simplify the process of buying, selling, owning and carrying a firearm and would not in any way be unconstitutional. It would not register guns, nor record transactions, nor tip off the Feds as to where the guns are. Guns would be free to move about the country without scrutiny. The only requirement is if you own a gun, you must have a license from the state. The license is a right not a privlidge. The state SHALL ISSUE to all who request one after they meet all criteria for education, safety, responsibility and liability for gun ownership or show cause. You have a license then you have proof that you are a responsible gun owner with all the necessary training required for your license.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
I see the term “responsible gun owners” used all the time by both sides of the gun issue. Well, I ask, what exactly does “responsible gun ownership” mean? To all those who say the 2nd amendment is about gun ownership for all citizens, where does the responsibility come in to play.? I know some gun owners who, when asked this question, respond “Responsible gun ownership is hitting your target”. And that’s it. That’s as far as they’re willing to go as far as being responsible gun owners.

So I must ask the question. For all you who believe in the 2nd amendment as your guiding principle and own firearms, as a group what responsibilities do you feel you have to society with your gun ownership? Do you or the NRA have ANY responsibility to society at all or is your only responsibility to the 2nd amendment?
No, "Gun Control" is being able to hit your target.

Responsible gun ownership means doing what I do. Be weapons trained, keep your weapons cleaned, and ensure your weapons have trigger locks, clip locks, and locked away in a safe, while not in use.

Thank you for playing.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
I see the term “responsible gun owners” used all the time by both sides of the gun issue. Well, I ask, what exactly does “responsible gun ownership” mean? To all those who say the 2nd amendment is about gun ownership for all citizens, where does the responsibility come in to play.? I know some gun owners who, when asked this question, respond “Responsible gun ownership is hitting your target”. And that’s it. That’s as far as they’re willing to go as far as being responsible gun owners.

So I must ask the question. For all you who believe in the 2nd amendment as your guiding principle and own firearms, as a group what responsibilities do you feel you have to society with your gun ownership? Do you or the NRA have ANY responsibility to society at all or is your only responsibility to the 2nd amendment?
Other than to respect the liberty of others... None.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:

Your post oozes gun hate. You say you own guns, yet do not sound like a gun advocate. There's no middle ground here.

This isn't rocket science:
re·spon·si·bil·i·ty /riˌspänsəˈbilətē/ Noun
-The state or fact of having a duty to deal with something.
-The state or fact of being accountable or to blame for something.

Responsibilty is a foreign term to many. Their idea of responsiblility is to blame someone else when their notions fail (see Obama and GW Bush). They wonder "how could any gun owner actually be responsible?" If they require the government to be responsible for them, it renders personal responsibility passe. In other words: Sheeple

As for gun crime:

More than 2.5 million deaths occur in the US every year. Center for Disease Control and Prevention numbers: 2011: 2,513,171 2010: 2,468,435 These numbers do not include unborn babies who miscarry or are aborted (1.5m). Of the 2,400,000-plus Americans who die each year, over 45,000 are killed in transport accidents. The number of homicides, poisonings, and drunk driving fatalities are roughly the same, at around 17,000 each. Perhaps more surprisingly, a stunning 178,000 Americans die from medical or hospital error every year. Medical errors rank #6 in America.

How about we focus on forcing healthcare professionals to be more responsible; they kill more than guns, drugs, poison, drownings, and drunk drivers combined.

Last edited by steven_h; 05-08-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies