Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Alimony after three years? Why?
I don't believe in alimony, except in rare circumstances. Child support, yes, but why alimony? Once a woman is divorced, she's incapable of supporting herself?
I think it should be dependent on the situation. My mom never worked, she stayed home and took care of the house, and kids. If she and my dad got divorced, she would be severely limited on what she could make. While his income would be bolstered by his being able to work overtime, his being able to attend night classes for further education, and travel for work, Her being at home to care for the kids enabled him to do that.

Now, a couple where both worked full time. I don't think either should get any alimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM

374 posts, read 510,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Colorado is the worst place on the planet to get a divorce. It is completely out of control.

In case you are not aware, you can be thrown in jail for contempt as this guy was, with NO jury trial. If you owe alimony and don't pay, for WHATEVER reason, even if you are indigent, a judge can simply say "jail him (or her)", and you are in the can. You are in until either the judge, OR YOUR EX-SPOUSE, decides you can leave. That's right, when you are in jail for contempt, the length of your incarceration is controlled by your ex-spouse.

A new, even more punitive, alimony law was *just* passed by the Colorado Legislature. Guaranteed alimony in any marriage or civil union over 3 years, default amount is 40% of gross income, with child support on top of that if you have children. If you have been married over 20 years, alimony is for LIFE. If you lose your job, you are expected to liquidate all assets to continue paying the alimony, and if you run out of assets, you are thrown in jail for as long as the judge and your ex-spouse think is appropriate. In addition, you are required to carry and pay for a life insurance policy on yourself, payable to your ex.

Is there any question at this point why the marriage rate is plummeting? Why that rate of single motherhood is skyrocketing? Who in hell is going to marry on these terms?

Welcome to Colorado, USA.
This is because Colorado is a liberals paradise. Any man who is insane enough to live there deserves what he gets,imo.White men have nobody to turn to,its a minority run world now and bad is good and good is bad.But then who turned it over to them,the white man so what can you say? Not raicst just the facts. I happen to like some of all people and races,even love a few of them.

It is run by fems and others above reproachables I can't mention without getting in trouble here.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM

599 posts, read 954,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Alimony after three years? Why?
I don't believe in alimony, except in rare circumstances. Child support, yes, but why alimony? Once a woman is divorced, she's incapable of supporting herself?

Actually, one of the whiplash side effects of the new law is going to be that WOMEN are going to pay alimony much more frequently. Prior to the new law, judges could always simply deny alimony to a man with no explanation, even if the numbers justified it. Now, a formula is going to be required, and the judge will have to make a written finding of fact as to why the alimony should not be given to the man. If a woman makes $100K and the guy makes $60K, if he asks for alimony and is denied, it will be appealed. It is just a formula now.

A stupid formula.

This law was supported by NOW and "The Women's Lobby" , a local PAC. I wonder how long it will take for them to start screaming when a couple of their members get stuck with ridiculous alimony? For that matter, this law also applies to gays who are married or who are in a civil union. They will have a problem with this, too.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,046,120 times
I'm curious to know more details too.

That is an old trick...my ex tried it but I had his tax returns for the prior five years so all he ended up doing was making the judge mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Or being a lawyer maybe he is simply claiming he made less.

He makes $200,000. The courts award the wife $50,000. He then claims he is now only making $50,000. Is this what happened? Of course I can not say for sure, but there are all sorts of possible explanations without the complete story.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,404,184 times
I wouldn't send my ex to jail if I were a woman. He might meet someone in there who can take care of the problem.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,217,606 times
Just a couple of red flags on the BS meter for this post.

Colorado uses a FORMULA to calculate child support, based on your income. The judge can't arbitrarily award all of your income.
https://childsupport.state.co.us/sit...lcPayments.jsp

Marital assets are divided EQUITABLY. One spouse can't get everything--it's a 50/50 split of what you've accumulated during the marriage. If something was yours before the marriage, you keep it. If you inherit money from your family, it's yours and it doesn't go to your former spouse. Child custody is determined on a case by case basis, depending on what a JUDGE rules is best for your child. If you've abused your family, or if you want to move your kids half way across the state to a new school, then you probably won't get custody, but there's no reason you wouldn't get liberal visitation.

Colorado also uses a formula and the situation of the spouse to determine alimony. They can't take "all of your income." That's ridiculous. Either the story is completely made up, or there are factors here that aren't being explained (like that the husband is hiding income, etc. to try to avoid paying child support and alimony).

Colorado Divorce Laws - Colorado State Divorce Laws

Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM

29 posts, read 27,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Just a couple of red flags on the BS meter for this post.

Colorado uses a FORMULA to calculate child support, based on your income. The judge can't arbitrarily award all of your income.
https://childsupport.state.co.us/sit...lcPayments.jsp

Marital assets are divided EQUITABLY. One spouse can't get everything--it's a 50/50 split of what you've accumulated during the marriage. If something was yours before the marriage, you keep it. If you inherit money from your family, it's yours and it doesn't go to your former spouse. Child custody is determined on a case by case basis, depending on what a JUDGE rules is best for your child. If you've abused your family, or if you want to move your kids half way across the state to a new school, then you probably won't get custody, but there's no reason you wouldn't get liberal visitation.

Colorado also uses a formula and the situation of the spouse to determine alimony. They can't take "all of your income." That's ridiculous. Either the story is completely made up, or there are factors here that aren't being explained (like that the husband is hiding income, etc. to try to avoid paying child support and alimony).

Colorado Divorce Laws - Colorado State Divorce Laws
The parties’ marriage ended in 2010 and husband was ordered to pay wife $5000 per month in child support and maintenance of $12,000 per month for four years, followed by $8000 per month for two years. Thereafter, husband, who was a tax attorney and partner at a large law firm, did not comply with his obligations, resulting in the accumulation of $101,486 in support arrearages and the suspension of his law license. Wife then moved for a QDRO to collect the arrearages from the funds held in husband’s ERISA retirement plan at the law firm.

Husband objected, contending that Colorado and federal law prohibited assigning his retirement funds to wife to pay the arrearages. The trial court disagreed and ordered him to transfer the funds to wife using a QDRO. After husband did not comply, the court ordered that the QDRO transfer be completed without his signature, that he reimburse wife for her attorney fees incurred because of his noncompliance, and that the suspension of his previous contempt sentence for violating other court orders be lifted. This appeal followed.

Source: Judicial View > State Cases > Colorado > Domestic Relations > Drexler v Bruce

Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,919,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Makes you wonder how horrible of a husband and father this guy was.
It's worth a passing thought...

But was it in the best interest of her children to be a vindictive b*tch? No, it probably wasn't....

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

But was it in the best interest of her children to be a vindictive b*tch? No, it probably wasn't....
Was it in the best interest of the children for him not to pay, and accrue over $100,000 in back payments?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM

29 posts, read 27,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

You know the saddest part about this, I looked her up and i think she's a lawyer.

Regina Drexler, Intellectual Property Attorney - Wallace Scott P.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies