Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

On average, the global average temperature is practically the same. Incoming radiation is equal to outgoing radiation. Yet over millions of years, very insignificant and very minimal daily changes have sent the earth between a ball of ice and a ball of fire.

...Consider the different heat retention properties of things like water and land.
...Consider the physical differences between solid water and water vapor and it's significance to weather.
...Consider the heat retention of the various gases in the atmosphere.
...Consider the fact that the night and day temperatures vary greatly on Mercury and aren't present on Venus.
...Consider the light blocking properties of matter in the atmosphere.
...Consider the temperature inversion in the atmosphere
...Consider the average temperature of the hydrosphere.
...Consider slow moving ocean currents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
You know, I've always found it interesting that the very same people who push the scientific theory of evolution, in which nature is the end-all and be-all molding force behind every single living organism, refuse to even entertain the notion that climate change is a completely natural occurrence.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
I thought conservatives believed that nothing existed before humans.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You know, I've always found it interesting that the very same people who push the scientific theory of evolution, in which nature is the end-all and be-all molding force behind every single living organism, refuse to even entertain the notion that climate change is a completely natural occurrence.
Climate change IS a natural occurrence. However, man is altering some things by digging stuff up and burning it.

What I want to know is the pros, cons, and significance of such alterations.

...Jury is apparently still out (and I don't think they are going to return with an answer any time soon) but some people act like there is a verdict.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Only some sectors of conservatism believe (and teach) that.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Why do you refer to what you do here, as "thought"?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
On average, the global average temperature is practically the same. Incoming radiation is equal to outgoing radiation. Yet over millions of years, very insignificant and very minimal daily changes have sent the earth between a ball of ice and a ball of fire.

...Consider the different heat retention properties of things like water and land.
...Consider the physical differences between solid water and water vapor and it's significance to weather.
...Consider the heat retention of the various gases in the atmosphere.
...Consider the fact that the night and day temperatures vary greatly on Mercury and aren't present on Venus.
...Consider the light blocking properties of matter in the atmosphere.
...Consider the temperature inversion in the atmosphere
...Consider the average temperature of the hydrosphere.
...Consider slow moving ocean currents.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Climate change is a completely natural occurrence. The current EXTREMELY RAPID changes we're seeing in the climate is not a natural occurrence.

Extinction is a completely natural occurrence. The EXTREMELY RAPID rate of extinction we're seeing today by rapid deforestation in the tropics is not a natural occurrence.

Evolution is a natural molding force. The EXTREMELY RAPID rate of breed creation in dogs in the Victorian era was not a natural occurrence.

Forest fires are a natural occurrence. The EXTREMELY hot, rampant, large forest fires that are occurring due to fire suppression practices are not a natural occurrence.

The eutrophication of a lake as it ages is a natural occurrence. The EXTREMELY RAPID eutrophication of a lake because we dump a bunch of sewage into it is not a natural occurrence.

So yes, humans have the ability to speed up, slow down, worsen and sometimes even improve natural processes.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Dinosour farts

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
You know what this debate is. .

Correlation and causation

a debate on what is the right causation, when all we have is various datapoints of correlation. I do think man has made an impact, and that impact is having a change. . . but i'm, right now, not concerned about it to much. If we really cause significant climate change the chances are the people in the worst areas will be the ones screwed, and we will still be fat, dumb and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies