Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well the have a perfectly fine school there now is why. Or were they talking about building a new school because this one was too old prior to this?? Like I said as long as it's their money they want to throw away fine but we will see how much dear leader decides to kick in to score some points before is all said and done because I guarantee you he will jump at the chance.
At 45+ years they were probably facing really heavy remodeling just for things like heating, air, and wiring for technology. Is the district facing growth and were they were considering adding on anyway? Did the old space efficiently meet the needs for use? Were there other structural problems with the old building? Those are the questions you have to ask. You don't know the answers so it's silly to judge until you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
No kidding, my kid goes to a school with a core building that is over 100 years old. There were some additions put on in the '60s, but half the classrooms are still in the original building. Doesn't keep the school from earning high ratings for academic performance.
And that's the choice of your community. You're not paying for their new school--they are. If you don't want to pay for a new one in your town, no one is forcing you to do it.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
At 45+ years they were probably facing really heavy remodeling just for things like heating, air, and wiring for technology. Is the district facing growth and were they were considering adding on anyway? Did the old space efficiently meet the needs for use? Were there other structural problems with the old building? Those are the questions you have to ask. You don't know the answers so it's silly to judge until you do.
Well I asked that very question a ways back as that hack writer in the article didn't do much of a job. If you don't know the answers what the hell are you judging anything for? Just let me beech. lol

Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I asked that very question a ways back as that hack writer in the article didn't do much of a job. If you don't know the answers what the hell are you judging anything for? Just let me beech. lol
I have a feeling these articles are coming out with no real basis or background because the papers want more Sandy Hook ratings. I couldn't find a single article stating what year Sandy Hook was built in the first place, much less any substantive details on the rebuild claims. There were several photos of the entrance which has "1968" engraved next to the doorway. That's what I base my age guess on.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
On Oct 2, 2006 a mentally deranged man slaughtered a teacher a teachers aid and 5 children and wounded 7 more at the one room West Nickel Mines school house in rural Lancaster Co PA. Two weeks later the Amish community tore the school down and erased all traces of the school. The site is now just a pasture. Six months later the Community raised a new school on a different site and named it The New Hope School. The Community made sure no single aspect of the new school resembled anything about the old West Nickel Mines school. When Sandy Hook happened Amish volunteers from Nickel Mines traveled to Conn. to see if they could provide help and comfort to the survivors of this later school shooting. School shootings in America are getting to be routine and in a few moths we will have another.
I feel it is up to Sandy Hook to determine the future and fate of this school and to a thoughtless uncaring America, anyone criticising their choice is is out of line.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Iraq has nothing to do with it.. We are capable of funding multiple things at once.
That's not the point. The point is that we have people bellyaching about $57m for a school when we set fire to over a trillion dollars in Iraq. That money is gone. And we have nothing to show for it.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What a huge waste of money. People are so stupid sometimes.

20yrsinBranson
This right-wing mentality is the reason why our infrastructure is a laughable joke compared to other industrialized nations.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:23 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Sounds like a waste of tax dollars to me. Is this really something that a gallon of bleach, a mop, and a tube of nail hole putty couldn't fix?
I know I know, I'm an insensitive right wing nut job right? So be it.
And here you have your garden variety right-winger.

Some of the worst people on the planet.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And that's the choice of your community. You're not paying for their new school--they are. If you don't want to pay for a new one in your town, no one is forcing you to do it.

I agree, if they want to do it and are willing to pay for it, they should and its none of my business. I'm just refuting the suggestion that somehow a 45 year old school has outlived its usefulness. I'm also concerned that the new Sandy Hook school will somehow become a "Federal Cause" and the locals won't end having to pay for their extravagant (IMHO) decision.

We built a new middle school in our district 10 years ago. The other 4 schools in the district we've gotten an average of 100 years out of (built in 1894, 1911, 1921, and 1923.) We're looking at retiring two of them in the near future and building a new facility about the size of Sandy Hook Elementary for an estimated $24-$29million. We think we can get another 30+ years out of the other two with $25 million in renovations.

Last edited by madpaddy; 05-11-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I agree, if they want to do it and are willing to pay for it, they should and its none of my business. I'm just refuting the suggestion that somehow a 45 year old school has outlived its usefulness.
I agree about the age of the building really is not an issue here -- there are plenty of elementary schools in my area that are 70+ years old.

But do we really expect another crop of first graders to sit in a classroom and learn, knowing that a gunman came through THAT doorway, and THAT corner is where they were all gunned down? Of course not! Adults, maybe, but not 6-year-olds!

If the school were to continue as a school (or any other purpose, really) the classrooms where the shooting took place shouldn't be used for anything but storage. If they want to tear it down and build new, that's up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies