Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I sure wouldn't want to own a restaurant or bar if this passes.
Next think you know, if you even smell a beer, you'll be over the limit. Smelling a beer, is buzzed driving is drunk driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I sure wouldn't want to own a restaurant or bar if this passes.

There should not be any laws against drunk driving. You should only be charged IF you break a traffic law or cause a crash. If you make it home without doing any damage then no harm no foul.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
- had no idea what 'BAC' was until two-thirds of the way through the thread - Since we don't drink and drive, it doesn't really matter to us whether the limit is 0.8 or 0.5.

I suspect, however, that the real issue is more about the extremely high rate of alcohol-influenced auto accidents, crime, family abuse and other behaviors that destroy lives and have no socially redeeming value. (Statistics and Gallup polls tend to support the 'problem' of alcohol abuse in the U.S. -- with 20-30% admitting that they drink more than they should). Since about 75% favored lowering the BAC level to 0.8 in 2000, one might suspect that the public will support the further lowering of the BAC to 0.5 now. --- Who really wants to be driving around out there with a large number of people who perceive that "they can handle drinking and driving"?

Alcohol Abuse -- Are We Making Progress?
Majority in U.S. Drink Alcohol, Averaging Four Drinks a Week
Most Americans Favor Tougher Drunk Driving Law

Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Next think you know, if you even smell a beer, you'll be over the limit. Smelling a beer, is buzzed driving is drunk driving.

... and at the same time potheads and pillbillys will be untouched.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM

1,438 posts, read 780,003 times
America's not Europe. Outside of New York DC and Chicago public transit is nonexistent and walking is not an option due to sprawl.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
... and at the same time potheads and pillbillys will be untouched.
If they could gauge how much oxy you had in your system and put a limit to it the wealthier crowd would have a fit.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Is there proof that driving below .08 causes problems?
I see your point but I think you're missing the intent. I seriously doubt that those between the levels of .05 and .08 are responsible for some sort of significant portion of traffic accidents or motor vehicle deaths. My guess is that many people suspect they are driving under the legal limit after they've had one, two, maybe three beers because they have a reasonable expectation of what .08 means (in their mind).

I think there IS a significant portion of those who drive drunk who THINK they could blow under a .08 if they were pulled over and therefore needn't worry and therefore drive when, in fact, they're gonna blow a .08 or higher. In other words, there is probably a statistically significant portion of those who drive drunk who think they are under a .08 and by lowering the limit to .05 would or could erase most of their doubts.

As I mentioned previously, when I was in Japan, the limit was something equivalent to .02 or .03 (it was actually in metric so I don't remember the exact equivalency). There is an interesting psychological thing that happens when the limit is that low. You drink one beer and you're already doubting yourself... You think, "OK. I just had one beer and I may or may not pass a BAC test." For an overwhelming majority of people, one beer is not going to cause them to be "drunk." Even on an empty stomach for someone who doesn't drink often, one beer may ride at that .02 or .03 limit.

What happens is you tell yourself "Well, I know if I have one more beer I'm not driving because I'll fail. There's no doubt." It then causes you to be the sole proprietor of blame who knowingly broke the law. It removes much of the blame game we humans like to distribute to other things to alleviate ourselves from guilts. In other words, it becomes much harder to blame someone or something else for our actions when the limit is that low. You can't say "Well, I didn't eat much that day and that's why I blew higher. I'm actually a responsible person but it was just the lack of food."

With .08 as a limit, I can't count how many times I've actually "guessed" at my limit and thought "Yeah... I'm OK. I'd probably blow a .06 but I'm definitely not a .08" - as if I actually had any freakin' clue as to the difference between the two. A .05 limit, I think, would address a significant portion of the population who are driving thinking they can meet the .08 limit requirement but who might give it a second thought if the limit were dropped.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
My state law says no driving if "impaired to the slightest degree". .08 is just considered proof. So they can, and do, give out DUIs for less than .08 if you show any sign at all that you might not be in top form.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
It be zero tolerance: NO measurable amount of alcohol in your blood period. And, easier and more precise tests need to be made to catch persons driving under the influence of prescription drugs and marijuana. Thankfully, there are a few in the pipeline.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,995 times
The way this government is going we're all going to have an interlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies