Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She is not my husband.
And to expect her to work all day, come home and go shopping is ridiculous. we have a kid to feed, and get to bed for school. And what store is open until 11:00 at night?

You really haven't thought this through.
You have plenty of time to shop, and if Sunday is your absolutely only time to shop then you need to change a job. Many places are open until 11, such as Target. Many Walmart are open 24 hours, and malls until 9 or 9:30.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Those poor retail workers are getting payed minimum wage for the most part, and by working on Sunday means having less hours or off another day of the week. They need a weekend day OFF.

By having all stores closed on Sundays, you have no other option but to plan and shop the day before or after. Don't be too spoiled, lazy and selfish.

Food is necessity.
Those poor retail workers are more than welcome to apply for jobs with different hours. Stop being so judgmental as to impose your own views on what is right and wrong onto the rest of us. Also, why do they need a 'weekend OFF' as you so eloquently put? A person can easily work 60-70 hours/week and still have plenty of time for family, friends, and to enjoy life.

You are so selfish that you want to enact legislation to control the actions of other people just so you feel morally superior. You should be ashamed of yourself. If someone wants to not work on a given day, get off your ass, work harder and find a job where you control your own schedule. Don't be so lazy as to try and shove what you want down other's throats as you seem to enjoy doing.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
After visiting, shopping and traveling thru Bergen County, NJ (home to 5 shopping malls and thousands of other businesses right across NYC), I was very jealous and impressed how everything was closed on Sundays except restaurants, grocery stores & entertainment places, and they had it since 1950s voted by residents numerous times thru referendum to keep them.

From the facebook group of ' We support the amazing Blue Laws of Bergen County, NJ ', this is their reason for it:

- A guaranteed (weekend) day of rest/break for workers, small business owners', and local residents.
- No competition, especially from big box stores that forces many employees to work, and now small businesses must remain open.
- No horrible traffic congestion.
- Quiet and Peaceful Sundays.
- Lower crime rate, pollution, and litter in our towns and streets.
- Better infrastructure (+ less money needed to fix our roads and highways)
- Higher Quality of life & Lower unemployment rate (Just like some nations with similar or stricter blue laws, such as Germany, Austria, Norway and Switzerland)
- Americans are known for unfortunately working very long hours with few or no days off, unlike other western nations. It is selfish, bad, and dangerous for ourselves and society.

Bergen County towns (especially Paramus) still make more money in annual retail than any other town and place in the nation all in 6 days.
Malls and stores are open for very long hours anyway (most until 9 - 10 pm Mon - Sat), and it is more than enough. Family time is more important!

PS: U.S. Supreme Court have held any blue law as constitutional due to secular reason (every time it has been taking to court).
Yes family time is important. When Mo had Blue laws the family loaded up in the car and went over into Ks to shop.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Sundays are the only time many people have to do their department store shopping so right there, one simple point, makes this a massive fail. Here is another, Sunday may be one of the few shifts department story employees get to work to make money to support their families. I mean, this is logic 101...too hard?

It's a 24/7 world, we can't pretend otherwise and hope it's all puppies and rainbows and family time by ignoring that fact.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
You have plenty of time to shop, and if Sunday is your absolutely only time to shop then you need to change a job. Many places are open until 11, such as Target. Many Walmart are open 24 hours, and malls until 9 or 9:30.
Seriously?

1 there is no target in my town. The closest one is 2 hours away.
2 my son needs to go to bed at a decent hour for school.
3 I wouldn't buy furniture or flooring at target or walmart.
4 my partner had worked at her job for 13 years. She isn't going to quit because YOU want stores to be closed on Sunday.

IF you want to rest on Sunday, no one is stopping you. You have no right to force others to live how YOU think they should.

Also, if the employees don't like working Sundays, THEY can go find another job.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sorry what?

An excerpt from the OP from that thread:

"Everyone else still benefits with blue laws, because there will virtually be no traffic, no congested roads, no pollution, no extra pay for security/police officers, no noise, less crime, less stress, and quiet and peaceful day. Small business owners also benefits from this, because they all deserves a day of rest, and not worry about competition from large chain stores. "

Reads like both reasons and detail.
And sounds eerily familiar.
This is like the no buy gas days. It will just be worse on Saturday. People need to get their groceries, their clothes, their shoes. They don't just forego those things because the stores are closed. They shift their shopping into other times making the congestion and inconvenience worse than it already is on weekends.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
You could do a lot besides shopping. Walking on parks, going to movies, eating out or relaxing at home.
Life is not based on shopping. Stop being selfish towards retail employees
Why do you want retail employees to have the day off, but grocery store employees (who are retail employees by the way), movie theater employees, gym employees, restaurant employees, and so on, you do want to have to work on Sundays? This strikes me as rather arbitrary on your part.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
It's not what you like and force retail employees serving you while you have "fun" and off from work.
Business on Sunday is more harmful than good. You have 6 other days of the week.
Actually, you're not saying that "business on Sunday" is harmful, you are arbitrarily deciding which businesses should be closed and which businesses should be open. But your reasoning is inconsistent.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Seriously?

1 there is no target in my town. The closest one is 2 hours away.
2 my son needs to go to bed at a decent hour for school.
3 I wouldn't buy furniture or flooring at target or walmart.
4 my partner had worked at her job for 13 years. She isn't going to quit because YOU want stores to be closed on Sunday.

IF you want to rest on Sunday, no one is stopping you. You have no right to force others to live how YOU think they should.

Also, if the employees don't like working Sundays, THEY can go find another job.
1. Then move somewhere closer and not middle of nowhere. Target was one example out of hundreds that open late evenings.
2. So? Stay home or your spouse. Why do you need to shop every single day?
3. How often do you buy furniture or flooring? I'm sure not every day.
4. Then don't force your view on others wanting to have a day off.

You think it's easy to find new job in this economy?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why do you want retail employees to have the day off, but grocery store employees (who are retail employees by the way), movie theater employees, gym employees, restaurant employees, and so on, you do want to have to work on Sundays? This strikes me as rather arbitrary on your part.
What about gas stations, airlines, cabs, buses, and trains? What about hotels, and theme parks? Football teams, and tv and radio station personnel? Hospital staff, or emergency workers?
Should we just shut down the whole country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.