Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 19 44.19%
Meh, don't really care 9 20.93%
No 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

... The fact is the amount of "normal" black people in the world is huge in comparison to those of fleeting sexuality or so-called non-traditional sexual preference. Civil rights ? People practicing homosexuality have always had civil rights. The conflict began when homosexuals demanded more than civil rights...when they demanded to be classed as the norm...they are not the majority and will never be the norm....the majority is the norm.
Not true.

I think you are ignorant of the history of oppression, persecution, prejudice, and discrimination against gay people.

Have you ever read a book about the history of LGBT people in America? Here is a good one for starters: Gay American History. (1976) by Jonathan Katz.

I don't think it was ever a crime to be black in America, although we agree there was the Jim Crow laws that abridged people's civil rights. I don't think black parents ever threw out their kids onto the street for being black, yet a huge number of gay kids were thrown out.

The Stonewall Uprising .... what was that about? Did you know it was against the law for a "homosexual" to be served liquor, to congregate with another gay person, to have most jobs, to be admitted to most colleges and universities, to get credit, to serve in the military, to have access to ordinary accommodations like in a hotel or restaurant?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
The matter is all about presentation. Why has a culture based in sexual preference have a culture anyway? Why is the blatant display of homosexuality so forcefully fashionable? Why has a gay dialect developed where a lot of gays all sound the same? Why if the prefer the same sex do they have to make an issue out of it? Why can't they keep their sexuality to themselves? What harm would it do if gays blended into society and ACTED and presented themselves as straight? Blacks who are successful have blended into white society...those that have not stick to that stupid black dialect...the flaunting of insecure black pride..Gays should take a lesson from blacks who have adjusted and fit in...and are educated...No one wants to see a man prance about mimicing a woman..because they are NOT female...lets get some realism going here.
Why cant you straight people keep your sexuality to yourselves, all the time on TV, the newspaper, magazines and in life all over, you all announce your sexuality, your sexual needs and wants. You want us to just hide away so you do not know we exist. Well dear , we here, were q u e e r and we are not going any where, so get used to it.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Gays are not a religion or a race...so you are off the mark. It is a way of thinking.
Gay is a way of thinking? being gay is ones sexual orientation, same as straight is, or is straight to you a way of thinking?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't think it was ever a crime to be black in America...
No, instead you were not legally considered human if you were black, you were just property.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
They are comparable as both groups have been discriminated against alot.... does not bother me

It does bother me when some idiot says that what pot smokers are going through is like black or gay rights...... that shows that pot is harmful to think that nutty

Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, instead you were not legally considered human if you were black, you were just property.
And gays went to prison for being gay, they were lobotomized for being gay, they were castrated for being gay. You call that treating us as human?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
True, just as married women were considered their husband's chattels.

Gay people were routinely and systemically rounded up and thrown in prison because they were regarded as a criminal class. Not property. Just criminals. In prison they were humiliated, often stripped naked and made to parade in front of the other prisoners. I don't have to mention gang rape.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Comparing injustices against one group and another group serves no purpose whatsoever.

I've seen this debate played out time and again when it comes to Blacks versus Jews.

Lots of different minority communities have experienced persecution and bigotry.

Let's just leave it at that.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Go to the "gay" part of any American city and you see fine homes, well-maintained, and it is often among the highest priced real estate in the city. Why? Discrimination against gays? Nope, it is actually the opposite: a couple of white males, usually professionals with university educations live there. They rose the ladder at work with never a hint of discrimination. Now, go to the "black" side of your town. Comparable? Cry me a river.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Why cant you straight people keep your sexuality to yourselves, all the time on TV, the newspaper, magazines and in life all over, you all announce your sexuality, your sexual needs and wants. You want us to just hide away so you do not know we exist. Well dear , we here, were q u e e r and we are not going any where, so get used to it.
Not my problem. I don't control TV programming. Nor do I control the magazines - newspapers or anything else. Not asking you to "hide away" - just show some class...Just because most straight people have no class is no reason for you to copy them. Yah you can be q u e e r if you want...you know the word means something strange to the norm...and as for getting used to it...You have no right to force me to get used to anything. Just show some grace and stop talking and walking funny...what's all that about anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies