Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Man, here I was thinking Norwegians were cool and stuff. Thanks for ruining that image for me
So you thought Norwegians would agree with JerZ? I should talk about how I think Colorado Alimony laws are totally fair.

Norwegians believe in equality and fairness. Colorado alimony laws are not like that. They are putting too much weight on the high income earner. The high income earner is already paying back by sharing the capital they have earned up. But I think after divorce they should go separate ways.

Also, I don't think people think they are entitled to other people's income. If you need help, you can get welfare.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
What a dumb post. First off you showed that you were clueless about Europe, as Germany and Poland have very different traditions. US and Canada does not.

Oh my freakin' God.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Oh my freakin' God.

Have you ever been to Canada? You are not that different. People in Canada marry in approximately the same way, get divorced in the same way. They got alimony too. There are often more differences between states in America, than between the US and Canada.

Why does it upset you so much?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Man, here I was thinking Norwegians were cool and stuff. Thanks for ruining that image for me

I still think my Norwegian friend is cool. I'll have to ask her if it is typical for other Norwegians to obsess over US laws/US stereotypes that have no effect on their life.

She's never talked about any of these issues with me.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Have you ever been to Canada? You are not that different. People in Canada marry in approximately the same way, get divorced in the same way. They got alimony too. There are often more differences between states in America, than between the US and Canada.

Yes. I have been to Canada. People being similar does not equal laws being the same.

It doesn't upset me, it just boggles the mind. Seriously. Holy cow. I wonder if you're just being a T word at this point to get responses? Nobody can be that ignorant. Seriously nobody.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's fine. I've heard enough for 2 lifetimes, too.

What irritates me is people spouting off opinions based on a whole lot of speculation, conjecture, anger, or sexism when they have barely managed a long-term relationship, if at all, never mind marriage. I get the sense that more than a few of the guys here who natter on about "I'll never marry" or "marriage is bad for men" have little to no experience with women themselves beyond perhaps meaningless hook-ups with drunks in clubs, and wouldn't know what love was if it came up to them and slapped the taste out of their mouths. It just sounds like overcompensation for a whole lot of fear, or maybe sour grapes.

Ditto this.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Just listen to your logic. On the one hand you say there are huge differences between states in the U.S. then you say Canadian laws must be like "U.S. laws" -- on the tail end of saying there ISN'T one uniform type of alimony law even among the states in the U.S.

And this is all on the basis of how much Canadians and Americans are "alike."

Which therefore translates to Canadian statistical graphs being acceptable switches for U.S. ones...

Oh hells yeah, you're looking for a reaction...I hope you've had fun, at any rate.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
If you imply extra health costs - that comes under different category and yes, the ex spouse is obliged by law to pay it, as far as I know. You just file up a request to reconsider the spouse paying for it and that's it.
It's similar with extra costs for childcare, or paying membership in karate club, etc.

It really isn't that simple. I know a guy that refused to pay for any portion of a kid's hearing aids, for instance. The matter took months to settle.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
It really isn't that simple. I know a guy that refused to pay for any portion of a kid's hearing aids, for instance. The matter took months to settle.
It's also a matter of actually getting the obligated spouse to pay after the decision has been made.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM

599 posts, read 953,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
To be honest I have little sympathy for men like this. I suspect in many cases the guy knew but didn't care. In other cases it should be a lesson not to sleep around.
Do you have sympathy for the guy's wife? She was married to him for 12 years. He had no idea he had a child, and of course, neither did she. They have struggled financially all along, because they have a special needs child together. Now that they were hit with the $1200/mo forever garnishment, they decided it was better to divorce so that he will be ordered to pay child support to their special needs child. They had nothing left over for the special needs child at the end of the month after the garnishment. If they divorce, the $1200/mo to the adult child will be reduced because he now has two child support payments, and there will be more money for their special needs child together. Also, she will be eligible for a ton of public assistance as a "single mom", even though they will continue living together just as before in the same house, with the special needs child.

It is our crazed laws that cause people to have to make these choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.