Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
They are there now, they are beautiful, and the locals should have a chance to be heard. This sounds like one of the Senate bills that they push thru before anybody's had a chance to read it, review it, or discuss it. BS
Trees are trees, they provide oxygen that we depend upon for survival - we need to start working towards preservation. Clear cutting and polluting the ground with toxins is a crazy idea. I cannot believe anybody would defend this.

Why is oxygen depletion important?

The development of cancerous cells is one major consequence of severe oxygen starvation. more about oxygen and cancer.

Oxygen shortage in the human body has been linked to every major illness category including heart conditions, cancer, digestion and elimination problems, respiratory disease, inflamed, swollen and aching joints, sinus problems, yeast infections and even sexual dysfunction. Fresh live foods and rain water contain oxygen. Cooked foods and stagnant water has much less oxygen. Oxygen is our primary source of energy. It displaces harmful free radicals, neutralizes environmental toxins and destroys anaerobic (the inability to live in oxygen rich environments) infectious bacteria, parasites, microbes and viruses.

It is the main energy source for our brain function. It calms the mind and stabilizes the nervous system. Without oxygen we cannot absorb important vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients our body needs. When our cells lack oxygen they weaken and die. Without oxygen, nothing works very well or at all.

More indicators of possible low oxygen levels in the body are muscle aches; forgetfulness; heart palpitations; circulation or digestive problems; damaged cell growth; excessive amounts of colds and infections.

Oxygen depletion weakens our immune system, which leads to viral infections, damaged cells, growths, inflamed joins, serious heart and circulatory problems, toxic buildup in blood and premature aging. Low oxygen allows damaged cells to multiply and form growths in our bodies because our cells are oxygen deficient. If the cells in our bodies are rich in oxygen, mutated cells are less able to reproduce.

Some say, well if the trees all die, we still have the oceans. Nope, the dead zones are growing.

Oceans Running Low on Oxygen | LiveScience
So, if you just wait for these trees to catch on fire again, they will be destoyed anyway, but by fire that will also destroy homes, lives and consume great volumes of oxygen. makes no sense to keep hazardess trees. Makes more sense to replace them with native trees and plants that can handle and are adapted to fire. Many people moaned and groaned when Oakland and Berkeley suggested that they remove the non native trees, then the fire hit and they were all asking why the trees were not removed when they were a danger. Have you ever seen a wild land fire surge through neighborhoods so fast that nothing could be done to stop its advance? That is how fast the Oakland hills fire moved with winds over 60 mph. It was a firestorm generating its own wind. I saw tree tops from non native pines and eucalyptus burst into flames and fly through the air for several hundred feet before landing on another home. I watched the fire from two blocks away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
So, if you just wait for these trees to catch on fire again, they will be destoyed anyway, but by fire that will also destroy homes, lives and consume great volumes of oxygen. makes no sense to keep hazardess trees. Makes more sense to replace them with native trees and plants that can handle and are adapted to fire. Many people moaned and groaned when Oakland and Berkeley suggested that they remove the non native trees, then the fire hit and they were all asking why the trees were not removed when they were a danger. Have you ever seen a wild land fire surge through neighborhoods so fast that nothing could be done to stop its advance? That is how fast the Oakland hills fire moved with winds over 60 mph. It was a firestorm generating its own wind. I saw tree tops from non native pines and eucalyptus burst into flames and fly through the air for several hundred feet before landing on another home. I watched the fire from two blocks away.
They aren't talking about replacement, they want to poison the ground so nothing grows back.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Keeling has been studying the oxygen levels of the globe for decades, his findings are not good.
We need to start paying attention, and stop destroying our ability to survive as a species.

Quote:
As the oxygen depletes to levels unable to sustain Earth's higher life forms, some experts offer comfort by assuring that the end would come quickly. Asphyxia is not a pleasant death after all, and the image of billions gasping for one more breath—like flopping fish out of water—is a distinctly disturbing one.

Indeed, Mankind could go out not with a bang, but a shuddering, desperate gasp.

Of course, not all life on Earth would completely die off. It's postulated that certain mosses, hardy slime molds, resilient bacteria and viruses—as well as the more robust sea slugs—probably could weather the severe oxygen deprivation. They will make it through the tens of thousands of years required for the oxygen levels to slowly replenish after the planetary mass extinction.

Many experts also agree cockroaches could do well.
Stunned scientists warn world could run out of breathable air - by Terrence Aym - Page 3 - Helium

Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 AM

23,567 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Default trees and solar do not mix.... green energy strikes again

No trees mean no opposition to setting up solar panels. Trees and solar don't mix, plenty of lawsuits in CA regarding trees that grew and neighbors whose panels got shaded.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
So, you want to just wait for another large fire and then absorb the cost then? That is foolish at least. diminishing the fuel load could prevent another disaster like the one in 91 and could cost far less then rebuilding the homes lost, but the lives cannot be replaced when they are lost. Do you even know the Oakland Berkeley hills, have you ever been there? And this was not a forest fire, it was a wild lands urban fire. The Oakland hills used to be covered in oak trees and redwoods that were replaced with homes and the trees the owners brought in with them for landscaping. Remove the trees now and there may not be another huge fire like that one.
No, I want the people who will be affected to access the risk, take the appropriate action and absorb the cost. I did not force anyone to live there and plant invasive species.And no I have never been there, which is all the more reason to stop taking money from me fund it.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
If this was happening anywhere else, i'd consider it a problem.

It's in Berkeley, CA, though , so I find it hilarious. They're some of the most ignorant environmentalists you've ever seen.

It makes perfect sense to me that they'd clear a forest like that. Just looking at it on google streetview, it looks like they've allowed the fuel load to increase to hazardous levels, and they obviously haven't been engaging in controlled burning.

the solution, though, i'm not sure if i understand. it seems peculiar that they'd use wood chips and herbicide as a replacement. If I had to guess -- I'd say that FEMA doesn't think it would be able to manage a "controlled fire" in a densely-developed urban area like that.

Last edited by le roi; 05-20-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
They are there now, they are beautiful, and the locals should have a chance to be heard. This sounds like one of the Senate bills that they push thru before anybody's had a chance to read it, review it, or discuss it. BS
Trees are trees, they provide oxygen that we depend upon for survival - we need to start working towards preservation. Clear cutting and polluting the ground with toxins is a crazy idea. I cannot believe anybody would defend this.

Why is oxygen depletion important?

The development of cancerous cells is one major consequence of severe oxygen starvation. more about oxygen and cancer.

Oxygen shortage in the human body has been linked to every major illness category including heart conditions, cancer, digestion and elimination problems, respiratory disease, inflamed, swollen and aching joints, sinus problems, yeast infections and even sexual dysfunction. Fresh live foods and rain water contain oxygen. Cooked foods and stagnant water has much less oxygen. Oxygen is our primary source of energy. It displaces harmful free radicals, neutralizes environmental toxins and destroys anaerobic (the inability to live in oxygen rich environments) infectious bacteria, parasites, microbes and viruses.

It is the main energy source for our brain function. It calms the mind and stabilizes the nervous system. Without oxygen we cannot absorb important vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients our body needs. When our cells lack oxygen they weaken and die. Without oxygen, nothing works very well or at all.

More indicators of possible low oxygen levels in the body are muscle aches; forgetfulness; heart palpitations; circulation or digestive problems; damaged cell growth; excessive amounts of colds and infections.

Oxygen depletion weakens our immune system, which leads to viral infections, damaged cells, growths, inflamed joins, serious heart and circulatory problems, toxic buildup in blood and premature aging. Low oxygen allows damaged cells to multiply and form growths in our bodies because our cells are oxygen deficient. If the cells in our bodies are rich in oxygen, mutated cells are less able to reproduce.

Some say, well if the trees all die, we still have the oceans. Nope, the dead zones are growing.

Oceans Running Low on Oxygen | LiveScience

you know what else causes acute, short-term oxygen depletion?

when a dry forest with an unmanaged fuel load bursts into flame at 2,000° next to an urban area.

When this occurs -- and it will eventually if they don't do anything -- many people will die in this "natural phenomenon" that has repeated itself countless times throughout the earth's millenia.

It reminds me a bit of Katrina and New Orleans, where the local community was repeatedly told that New Orleans would be underwater during a moderate hurricane, and they did nothing to protect themselves. Then whenever the inevitable occured, they acted as if they were blindsided, and blamed the federal government for not protecting them.

Last edited by le roi; 05-20-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No, I want the people who will be affected to access the risk, take the appropriate action and absorb the cost. I did not force anyone to live there and plant invasive species.And no I have never been there, which is all the more reason to stop taking money from me fund it.
The people who will be affected had a two year warning that the trees were a hazard and they ignored the warning and the fire of 91 happened. People who were affected immediately started asking why something was not done about the trees. How do you force these people to remove the trees? How about people living in hurricane prone areas, or flood prone areas? Maybe they should just absorb the costs of replacing their homes and stop depending on FEMA too. Same goes with those in Tornado alley. They know they may get one, but build anyway. So you admit you have never been there, then you know nothing about the urban areas above Oakland. The Broadway Terrace area that burned was directly above Oakland and Lake Merritt, it was not way up in the hills. The next urban firestorm could easily head down into Berkeley, Oakland, Albany, San Leandro, San Jose, Richmond or any of the cities that flank the hills.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It reminds me a bit of Katrina and New Orleans, where the local community was repeatedly told that New Orleans would be underwater during a moderate hurricane, and they did nothing to protect themselves. Then whenever the inevitable occured, they acted as if they were blindsided, and blamed the federal government for not protecting them.
true.

National Geographic ran an article on New Orleans a few years before Katrina. Basically noting how the cypress swamps had been degraded by oil development and other factors and that meant increased storm surge risk.

They pointed it all out, said if a CAT 3-4 hit there would be massive flooding since it wasn't designed to handle it.

They referenced how often such storms historically hit NO....and stated it was only a matter of time.

They were so right.

P.S. Hey St. Louis, ready for that earthquake? No, you aren't.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
true.

National Geographic ran an article on New Orleans a few years before Katrina. Basically noting how the cypress swamps had been degraded by oil development and other factors and that meant increased storm surge risk.

They pointed it all out, said if a CAT 3-4 hit there would be massive flooding since it wasn't designed to handle it.

They referenced how often such storms historically hit NO....and stated it was only a matter of time.

They were so right.

P.S. Hey St. Louis, ready for that earthquake? No, you aren't.
Exactly, I still have a Physical Geog text from the late 90's that dedicates several pages to: "What would happen if a cat 3 landed in New Orleans." It had all sorts of illustrations depicting the flood damage from a moderate hurricane.

All the predictive capacity in the world means nothing if you don't prepare. I can just picture the upper-middle class yuppies in those neighborhoods around the Berkeley hills, complaining after their whole town is incinerated, "Why didn't anybody DO anything to PREVENT this?"

It just never ceases to amaze me how people know so little about the world around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies