Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That's fine if they are consistent and the law makes sense, how come we didn't see any other cases exposed in the papers, were they not made public. Maybe you can provide one specific case that has occurred in the lat year, or maybe all the heterosexuals abstain?
It doesn't make the papers any more than an ordinary shoplifting case because it is not news, because publicity makes it more difficult for the juvenile to move on, and because the guilty adult doesn't exactly want the publicity either. This is equality in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It doesn't make the papers any more than an ordinary shoplifting case because it is not news, because publicity makes it more difficult for the juvenile to move on, and because the guilty adult doesn't exactly want the publicity either. This is equality in action.
Criminal convictions are a matter of public record, should be really easy to quote all the cases in the last year in Fl. They chose to destroy this girls life because they didn't agree with her lifestyle.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM

664 posts, read 773,862 times
If you are too stupid to realize that thousands of young men have been arrested and convicted of the same thing, I can't help you. This has nothing to do with her sexuality, the Florida statute is extremely clear. Over the age of 12 but under 16, it is against the law. No exceptions, just because she is a lesbian doesn't mean a thing.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
They are only 2 years and change apart in age, 2 grades apart in school. They had been dating for more than a year and the parents filed charges when the older one turned 18. At least that is what the article I read said.

It's a ridiculous law no matter whether the couple involved is gay or straight. Instead on kvetching, we should all use the attention this is gathering to put an end to these dumb laws in the first place. Too many teenagers having their lives ruined for having sex in high school with other high schoolers. That is not what statutory rape laws were intended to prevent.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Criminal convictions are a matter of public record, should be really easy to quote all the cases in the last year in Fl. They chose to destroy this girls life because they didn't agree with her lifestyle.
Yeah right, I'm going to spend an evening combing the internet looking at arrest records to appease some anonymous person on a forum. I don't care enough to go to that much trouble.

It's there, it happens when parents choose to press charges, and most strike a plea deal. Whenever you hear about someone required to register on a sex offender list serving in the military, these are the people doing it - those who under the age of 20 were charged with statutory rape of a person less than 3 years younger than them.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
They are only 2 years and change apart in age, 2 grades apart in school. They had been dating for more than a year and the parents filed charges when the older one turned 18. At least that is what the article I read said.

It's a ridiculous law no matter whether the couple involved is gay or straight. Instead on kvetching, we should all use the attention this is gathering to put an end to these dumb laws in the first place. Too many teenagers having their lives ruined for having sex in high school with other high schoolers. That is not what statutory rape laws were intended to prevent.
I absolutely agree. And the notion that they end up having to sit on some list, which people have used to deny housing or harass them, the rest of their lives is beyond ludicrous. They could kill someone and be less ostracized.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I absolutely agree. And the notion that they end up having to sit on some list, which people have used to deny housing or harass them, the rest of their lives is beyond ludicrous. They could kill someone and be less ostracized.
Exactly. It's pure foolishness with horrible real life consequences. This is what happens when short sighted politicians write clumsy laws. It should have ended years ago, it's not a new problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
Quote:
No, it has NOTHING to do with lifestyle. It has everything to do with someone that is old enough to vote and by age is considered an adult being sexually active with a person not even old enough to drive. The way the homosexuals are trying to spin this is wrong, VERY WRONG !!! Let this go and next you will see is the homosexual community wanting it to be ok for 50 year olds to have sex with 10 year olds. They are disgusting.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:28 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
If you are too stupid to realize that thousands of young men have been arrested and convicted of the same thing, I can't help you. This has nothing to do with her sexuality, the Florida statute is extremely clear. Over the age of 12 but under 16, it is against the law. No exceptions, just because she is a lesbian doesn't mean a thing.
It's false that there are no exceptions. Until Kaitlyn was 18, the relationship was legal. That's an exception. Surely people of any political bent can agree that a law that zig-zags between illegal and legal and back again is absurd, whether it is applied to a male, female, gay or straight?

If someone only wanted to change the law for lesbians, I would understand the opposition. But nobody does. We want to make the law fair and reasonable across the board.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It's false that there are no exceptions. Until Kaitlyn was 18, the relationship was legal. That's an exception. Surely people of any political bent can agree that a law that zig-zags between illegal and legal and back again is absurd, whether it is applied to a male, female, gay or straight?

If someone only wanted to change the law for lesbians, I would understand the opposition. But nobody does. We want to make the law fair and reasonable across the board.

At what upper age do you draw the line? 18? 19? 25? 70? That's where the rub comes.

As a teacher I've seen this situation numerous times over the years, most recently this Spring. Twenty one year old boy, sixteen year old girl. Not illegal in MD but the parents of the girl pushed the issue so there was a minor, low-level involvement of legal authorities. As a note, the boy is a very immature 21.

Nineteen year old Senior, 15 year old Sophomore gets the older kid arrested. Again, if the parents push the issue. That was last year. It was not the first time at the rodeo for the 15 year old girl but it was the first time her mother caught her. The legal issues for the boy just got cleared up.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-22-2013 at 04:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies