Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
LOL

I asked you before and you never answered - do you believe REGULATIONS are a guarantee from abuse?

name ONE area where the government regulations involved which is FREE from abuse
As I said before.....alcohol consumption and gun ownership are also rife with abuse.

And I am willing to bet that abuse takes more lives than legalizing assisted suicide would.

So.....using your potential for abuse argument.....alcohol and guns should be prohibited all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Yes, unless the problem is temporary, like depression.
. True depression that is considered a medical issue (major depression ) is often anything but a temporary condition.

And one of the reasins people should not give support to the idea of suicide.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
. True depression that is considered a medical issue (major depression ) is often anything but a temporary condition.

And one of the reasins people should not give support to the idea of suicide.
Simple solution.....depression would not be considered a valid reason for assisted suicide.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A) Doctors make mistakes all the time.

B) The sick and elderly can be easily coerced.

C) Mental illness comes into play.
This. I would also add that some people who are evil and dont want an elderly or mentally ill relative around, could manipulate such a system to get a doctor to sign off on euthanasia. They could also tell a doctor the person is suffering alot more than they really are, to make a case for them being euthanized.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Simple solution.....depression would not be considered a valid reason for assisted suicide.
Not so simple. Once you open the door, there will be people who lobby for depression to be included , since it causes suffering.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
This. I would also add that some people who are evil and dont want an elderly or mentally ill relative around, could manipulate such a system to get a doctor to sign off on euthanasia. They could also tell a doctor the person is suffering alot more than they really are, to make a case for them being euthanized.
They could also give said relative a gun and manipulate them into shooting themselves.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Not so simple. Once you open the door, there will be people who lobby for depression to be included , since it causes suffering.
Since you let 21 year olds drink alcohol.....the next thing you know.....18 year olds will want to drink alcohol.....once you let 18 year olds drink alcohol.....then the next thing you know......16 year olds will want to drink alcohol.

Do you think that is going to happen too?

There are limits set on many things in this country....assisted suicide would be no different.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:

To me that is not assisted suicide. That's a third party trying to be involved when they shouldn't. Assisted suicide should be decided by the person not their family. The whole point of assisted suicide is to let the patient go with dignity on their own terms. No family member should ever have a say in this.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
YES, for 99.9% of our Scumaticians.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely, I believe in it. When I am laying paralyzed in a bed after a major stroke at age 93; someone else has to turn me; feed me pureed food AND change my diaper - I want the shot.

I just watched my Aunt suffer for two months like this - a once strong and proud woman. She began refusing to take her Meds; then refused all food and water for the past 4-5 days. I am sure she was trying to speed up the process and she succeeded. May she rest in peace. IF she could have been spared these last 60 days, she would have wanted it.
A stroke is a terrible thing, especially if a person isn't able to express their wishes.
I don't believe in anyone hastening another's death, though. If a person wants to end their life, they have to be the one who does it, I believe, with only the most minimal assistance from anyone else. If I was ever paralyzed, I hope I have a living will prepared beforehand, so my suffering will be limited if possible while I starve myself to death. That's about all a paralyzed person can do for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies