Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Show me where it is illegal to follow someone or to stop them and ask them what they are doing, and show me the evidence you have to say your version of the events is the correct one. Let me hear the recording you have of Zimmermans voice asking anything, much less in a threatening manner. Show me what evidence you have that Zimmerman confronted Martin at all?? Last time I checked, in this country we don't have the luxury of making up our evidence and presenting them as fact.
The witness who was on the phone with Trayvon Martin heard Zimmerman ask Martin "What are you doing here" (that may be paraphrased, but barely) and that it was "in an angry tone." That seems to indicate that Zimmerman approached Martin in an aggressive manner, which is also consistent with Zimmerman's statement, "These *******s...they always get away with it." He'd decided that this kid was a criminal, which is profiling. We covered the "citizen's arrest" issue long ago, but I'd be so grateful if you could show me a law, either federal or in FL, which allows following and detention of a stranger who has neither committed nor is in the act of committing a crime.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Please tell me where you can find a jury that doesn't know of, or discussed this case already.
Well, I think the people who served on the jury during the Casey Anthony trial proved it doesn't matter too much.

Although I would not want to be selected, I can honestly say I would have an open mind and listen to all testimony and decide based on evidence, not emotion.

I voted "acquitted" since I did not have manslaughter as a choice. I do not think he will be convicted of murder unless there is evidence of which I'm unaware.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times
Quote:
Please tell me where you can find a jury that doesn't know of, or discussed this case already.

The jury pool was 500 people, and they've been interviewing potential jurors for the two days now. O'Mara could have asked for a change of venue but didn't, so perhaps he feels that he can get an impartial jury. It's amazing how many people don't watch the news or read magazines and newspapers.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
Let me explain what happens to you when you are... Everything becomes confussing, then you have police officers come and ask you questions... Then they start leading you with answers and you're already confussed and your head is spinning.. People start telling you what happened. Then enters your lawyer.. He tells you, no that's not how it happened and you become more bewildered. Everything you thought you knew, suddenly you don't. This goes on until right up to trial. If you've never experienced it, you have no idea... Your whole thought process becomes disorganized and you become unsure yourself what actually happened. It's not all cut and dry...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,460,508 times
Quote:
Reasonable doubt with a preponderance of the evidence I think it reads.
All the evidence we are privy to so far is against Zimmerman and indicates that he was still chasing Martin, was still the hunter, and was not just walking back to his truck. This evidence is in his recorded call to police, the timestamps in that call, and the location of Martins' body. Everything contradicts Martin's testimony and discounts his credibility and claim of self defense.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
Quote:
A dispatcher is NOT a law enforcement officer and has NO authority... Zimmerman is guilty of not being the sharpest tool in the shed, but he didn't commit a crime. Treyvon did when he assaulted Zimmerman.
I keep hearing this and for the life of me cannot understand why it has become such a popular argument among Zimmerman's supporters. To me it completely misses the point. If a dispatcher tells you that they don't need you to run back into a burning building to check for survivors and you do anyway and get trapped or inadvertently cause further harm to someone already trapped, whose fault is that?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 PM

My point is, let's let the evidence speak as to his innocense or guilt. It doesn't serve any of us to sit here and pass judgement on what did or didn't happen. Fact is, only one man actually knows and he is probably doubting his own mind right now.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I keep hearing this and for the life of me cannot understand why it has become such a popular argument among Zimmerman's supporters. To me it completely misses the point. If a dispatcher tells you that they don't need you to run back into a burning building to check for survivors and you do anyway and get trapped or inadvertently cause further harm to someone already trapped, whose fault is that?
I don't know how many times I have heard people say "the dispatcher ORDERED" Zimmerman to break off pursuit.. It's just a stupid uninformed statement. A dispatcher has no more authority or knowledge than your aunt Zelda on your mothers side.... Stop putting it out there as a dispatcher has the authority and it won't get smacked back in your face.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
My understanding is that Zimmerman followed Trayvon for approximately 2 minutes.. In that amount of time if you only walk 150 feet then you need a wheelchair.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you are incorrect. I haven't been following this case for a while, but I do remember the 911 calls which were originally on the Sanford Police Dept website. Well before he called 911, George followed Trayvon. He was on his way to Target (or so he claims) wearing a holster around his waist with a loaded gun. (Okay, so he has a permit..still can't figure out why anyone needs to carry a loaded gun to Target, especially that early in the evening. Why live in an area that is so dangerous?)

Anyway, he turned in the opposite direction when he saw Trayvon and followed him. When he called the police he had already been following Trayvon in his SUV. The 2 minutes you are referring to must be the time after the dispatcher said "we don't need you to do that." George was also panting when he was on the cell phone as if he was running and out of breath, which might have prompted the dispatcher to ask "Are you following him?" in that very puzzled tone. I don't want to put my thoughts into the dispatcher's mind, but he sure sounded surprised to me. After all, George reported someone who looked very suspicious as if he was up to no good and on drugs, so common sense would tell you that a normal person wouldn't pursue such a dangerous suspect.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well I believe you are incorrect. I have not been following this case for a while, but I do remember the 911 calls which were originally on the Sanford Police Dept website. Well before he called 911 George followed Trayvon. He was on his way to Target (or so he claims) wearing a holster around his waist with a loaded gun. (Okay, so he has a permit..still can't figure out why anyone needs to carry a loaded gun to Target, especially that early in the evening. Why live in an area that is so dangerous?)

Anyway, he turned in the opposite direction when he saw Trayvon and followed him. When he called the police he had already been following Trayvon in his SUV. The 2 minutes you are referring to must be the time after the dispatcher said "we don't need you to do that." George was also panting when he was on the cell phone as if he was running and out of breath, which might have prompted the dispatcher to ask "Are you following him?" in that very puzzled tone. I don't want to put my thoughts into the dispatcher's mind, but he sure sounded surprised to me. After all, George reported someone who looked very suspicious as if he was up to no good and on drugs, so common sense would tell you that a normal person wouldn't pursue such a dangerous suspect.
Know what I believe??? I believe YOU DON'T KNOW and that is why we have trials.
Incidently, I carry a loaded firearm with me virtually everywhere I go and have for over 30 years..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies