Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
I'm not so sure about that.

If you look at the haplogroup map you can clearly see the various haplogroups and their geographical predominance:

I'm not a scientist or anything so I don't really have the authority to decide on what the genetic difference should be called.

I'm not a scientist either, and I didn't know what a haplogroup was until I read your post. Perhaps haplogroup is the accurate way to describe people. But I just thought it was an ironic word to use in this thread.

I copy/paste the following to defend my previous statements.

"Using SNPs, scientists have been able to plot the haplogroups of all humans living today into a single phylogenetic tree of mankind which shows how all humans are connected to each other in a complex worldwide tree that stems from Africa over 150,000 years ago."

DNA Haplogroups :: What do haplogroups tell us about our past?

To be very blunt, I do not have the knowledge or understanding to continue this conversation.

Sorry for treating you like a republican,
Chad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 AM

156 posts, read 116,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Many/most known animals, plants, and bacteria have been classified by a "scientific classification." The following is the scientific classification for homo sapiens (humans.)

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Tribe: Hominini
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens

Heres the scientific classification for a Chimpanzee.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Panini
Genus: Pan

Species:
Pan troglodytes
Pan paniscus

(notice the 2 separate species.)

You said "race" has its own scientific definition, but this is false because according to scientists "race" does not exist. There is no such thing as race in a scientific classification.

"Race" is a term created by 17th century European scientists. They used the term "race" to discover why Europeans were superior to all other people.

Today in science the word "race", is like theories of the Earth being flat.

Anything else?
I stand corrected.

Just goes to show how engrained that word is in society.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not a scientist either, and I didn't know what a haplogroup was until I read your post. Perhaps haplogroup is the accurate way to describe people, I just thought it was an ironic word to use in this thread.

But let me copy/paste the following to defend my previous statements.

"Using SNPs, scientists have been able to plot the haplogroups of all humans living today into a single phylogenetic tree of mankind which shows how all humans are connected to each other in a complex worldwide tree that stems from Africa over 150,000 years ago."

DNA Haplogroups :: What do haplogroups tell us about our past?

To be very blunt, I do not have the knowledge or understanding to continue this conversation.

Sorry for treating you like a republican,
Chad.
Well to be fair, genome science is still fairly recent. There's much to be learned as only 60% of the human genome has been mapped thus far.

We've got a long way to go until truths can be engraved into stone.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
I stand corrected.

Just goes to show how engrained that word is in society.
And I stand corrected for my possible rude behavior,
Chad.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
No, you are just wrong. Environment is important, but genetics are a major factor, not a minuscule one. Twin studies have shown this and well as large population comparison studies.

Here's one that found significant differences in personality types between East Asian and European males across different cultures:
Culture and Personality Among European American and Asian American Men

There have been numerous other studies that also show this.

Why is is important? Because we have policies in place that operate on the FALSE assumption that all humans groups are exactly identical. These policies cost us billions in lost productivity as we try to force all groups to be exactly the same, when we have no evidence to show that we are. In fact, there are mountains of evidence showing that we aren't, yet we keep ignoring the facts.
I'm glad you mentioned Twin Studies, I completely forgot about that.

+rep

Old 06-02-2013, 01:25 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I agree with you. Perhaps a remedy would be to give personality tests to every worker and then treat them in accordance with the results? Rather than trying to fit everyone into the same pigeonhole?
Any company that tried this would most likely be sued. The Supreme Court ruling in "Griggs Vs. Duke Power" made pre-employment testing very tricky because it laid out the concept of "disparate impact," which you probably know is concept that any type of testing or screening that disproportionately affects certain racial groups more than others is deemed to be racist. That's what the Justice Department used recently to sue the state of Florida because they used arrest records to screen out applicants.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
And I stand corrected for my possible rude behavior,
Chad.
It's cool bro.

I'm more of a Libertarian/Anarcho-capitalist than anything.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:35 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Well to be fair, genome science is still fairly recent. There's much to be learned as only 60% of the human genome has been mapped thus far.

We've got a long way to go until truths can be engraved into stone.
If you or anyone else wants to follow current research on genetics and population differences, you should check out:

Gene Expression

Old 06-02-2013, 01:35 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Answer the question....what difference does it make (in homo sapiens, in 2013, in the United States of America) if someone has blue eyes or green eyes; red hair or black hair; thin hair or thick hair; a thin nose or a broad nose; is tall or short; curly hair or straight hair?
None of those race associated traits make much difference (except for height in basketball players.) And if that was all race was about we wouldn't have much of a racial problem now. Unfortunately, however, more important traits like intelligence are also race related. The IQ gap is the source of most racial group differences in outcomes, and evidence indicates that it is largely genetic in origin.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 AM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Race is a social construct because it does not determine skin color, eye color, hair color or hair texture. Much of what we believe about race is largely determined by our society. Why then are we so obsessed with race? Is it merely because we are social creatures and it's easier for us to identify with those who share commonalities, like skin color, hair texture and eye color? Or is it because we fear others, based on what we have been taught?

In the below video, an African American woman has given birth to a white baby (by appearances). If race was truly real, this wouldn't be possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzY1NkGYPs

How can we move past viewing people as different, just because they may not share the same skin color.

People define themselves by their language, and accepted behavior / cultural values and standards: educational achievement and work ethic, respect of others property, space, and civility of interaction with those around them, acceptance of criminal and destructive mindset, levels of entitlement mindset without contributing to the commonwealth, active parenting / guardianship with goal of helping mold progeny into contributing members of society, and taking accountability and responsibility for the lives of their progeny, and their personal actions.

Race in and of itself doesn't matter - character does. Stereotypes about race occur due to a predominance of accepted behavioral / cultural standards and repeatedly noted behaviors associated with visually identifiable traits. It is a natural anthropological evolutionary survival instinct. People seek to identify associated differences with the visual cues whenever possible for ease of social 'data processing'.

To your specific question, the best way to move past viewing people as different is to first "Love the Person - Hate the behavior" a la, "Love the Dog Hate the Behavior"

Second, if it seems people 'hate on you', first look inward at your accepted behavior and cultural standards and the net effects / impacts on those around you and in your community and THEN look outward before pulling the race card.

Third, note in natural sciences - ecology / ecosystems - polyculture- the concept of companion planting. I make the analogy to humans and that the social engineers who want 'forced diversity' via Multi-culturalism' for 'diversity's sake' are ignorant of the natural toxicity of groups with disparate behavioral / cultural standards and shirk the difficult discussions about this and instead pull the race card because it is easier for lazy minded to seek notoriety - and conflict and controversy brings media attention, hence MONEY in some form or another (spokesperson / group leader / village idiot / talking head etc...)

There is good and bad in everyone. Accentuating the differences without a goal of attaining a worthwhile understanding, is a tool of controlling elites to foment constant strife and distract the majority of people from the massive financial rape and plundering of others for financial gain while creating single issue 'jingoistic flashpoint sensitive' voting blocs of "Pavlovian sheeple".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies