Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Race is not only a social construct. People develop opinions about groups of people who are different from them based on observation. Now, these some of these observations may be exaggerated or erroneous, but most have some kernel of truth in them somewhere. People develop "constructs" based on what they experience, social constructs are not just made out thin air.

Observation --> Social construct

The observation portion is based in reality, so, some social constructs (i.e., the way people see things) are somewhat evidenced based and not purely fantasy.
I don't think you fully understand what you are typing. Do you even know the definition of a social construct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
I'm not interested in social justice. Only science and fact so your words fall on deaf ears.
You're not interested in science, because if you was, you would be able to comment on the research that shows, humans share 99.9% of the same genome.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Oh that one's easy!

Humans are also 99% genetically identical to Chimpanzees. That 1% DNA difference has a profound effect on the biology of both species.

So a 1% difference in DNA can have enormous effects.

[url http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/06/bonobo-genome-sequenced.html

Anything else you'd like to know? I'm loaded and prepared.

Also, slightly off topic, but all non-africans have between 4-6% neanderthal DNA.
Drum roll please: But there isn't a 1% difference in humans, it's a .01 difference. Care to discuss that BIG difference?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I don't think you fully understand what you are typing. Do you even know the definition of a social construct?
This...didn't address any of my post lol.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times
Quote:
Drum roll please: But there isn't a 1% difference in humans, it's a .01 difference. Care to discuss that BIG difference?
Yes, the difference is whether your white, black, or asian. THAT'S the difference.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 PM

156 posts, read 116,249 times
Quote:
I don't understand what that has to do with anything? Humans share about 50% of their genetic makeup with bananas and 98% of their makeup with chimpanzees. That doesn't make me a banana nor a chimpanzee, and sharing 99.9% of my makeup with an Asian doesn't make me an Asian.

You share 50% of your genes with a banana. - OMG Facts
Actually humans are 99% genetically identical to chimpanzees. Just wanted to correct you on that one.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, the difference is whether your white, black, or asian. THAT'S the difference.
Obviously not, because I posted a link which showed that a woman who is dark and classified racially as black, can give birth to a baby who is light and by all measures classified by society as racially white.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Race is not only a social construct. People develop opinions about groups of people who are different from them based on observation. Now, these some of these observations may be exaggerated or erroneous, but most have some kernel of truth in them somewhere. People develop "constructs" based on what they experience, social constructs are not just made out thin air.

Observation --> Social construct

The observation portion is based in reality, so, some social constructs (i.e., the way people see things) are somewhat evidenced based and not purely fantasy.
But it is rather ODD that most people do not accept these observations --->social constructs about 'their own group' when the observations are not beneficial or positive in nature.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM

156 posts, read 116,249 times
Quote:
You seem to not understand how such a small variation in genetic differences has huge effects on biology. I've already stated this.

That .01% difference is big enough to have such an effect that an africans skull is shaped significantly differently than an asians skull.

In the world of Genes. .1% genetic difference is ENORMOUS.

This is what you're failing to understand sweetie.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Actually humans are 99% genetically identical to chimpanzees. Just wanted to correct you on that one.
I never disputed the fact that humans share 99% of our genome with chimps. I pointed out however that between human beings, we share 99.9% of the same genome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies