Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
The thing that amazes me most is how, with all the difficulties going on in the world, with our own economy, etc., we have people with NOTHING better to do than DICTATE how others must live.

What a pathetic group of people to demand YOUR will upon how a child is raise over the will of the child's parents.
It's insecurity. They think that because they lack the ability to make adult choices then others do to. So they look to a Nanny State to make their choices for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually my parents are conservative and always vote republican....but nice try.
Your parents? What does that have to do with you? You aren't a conservative.... not by the broadest of definitions lol.

Quote:
So how many wars have you fought in so far? I imagine you volunteer to go to war whenever a new battle against freedom comes up.
What do you think I'm doing right now? I am fighting a war.... thats what. Fighting it with my voice and my words.... or in this case, my fingers and my keyboard. You may call me a keyboard warrior, I embrace the term. Yes, I fight the war for freedom all the time, with my words, with my influence, and with my vote.

If I can get through to one person, or make them at the very least consider an alternate point of view in a way they hadn't before, than I consider it a battle won.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

What do you think I'm doing right now? I am fighting a war.... thats what. Fighting it with my voice and my words.... or in this case, my fingers and my keyboard. You may call me a keyboard warrior, I embrace the term. Yes, I fight the war for freedom all the time, with my words, with my influence, and with my vote.

If I can get through to one person, or make them at the very least consider an alternate point of view in a way they hadn't before, than I consider it a battle won.
No offense, but I find it disrespectful to those who have truly fought for our freedom, for you to say you are fighting a war for freedom. We are just arguing on the internets.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Personally I'd think parents would do this on their ownI agree we can not legislate behavior but it not something a aprent should subject their kids or other non-smokers to. I smoked about 20 years ago and would not even smoke I house or my vehicle and expect other to smell the sour smoke smell..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Your parents? What does that have to do with you? You aren't a conservative.... not by the broadest of definitions lol.

The poster was referring to my parents as if they were liberals, I was correcting him.

Haha, being a "keyboard warrior" means you aren't doing anything but wasting time online and thinking it influences anything. What we are doing now is nothing more than a time waster, you are just confusing it with fighting a war.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
No offense, but I find it disrespectful to those who have truly fought for our freedom, for you to say you are fighting a war for freedom. We are just arguing on the internets.
Well, if your idea of fighting a war for freedom takes only the shape of blood, guts, and gore, then I guess I can see how you feel that way. There are a lot more aspects to fighting for freedom than guns and blood though. Maybe you'd be offended if Rosa Parks claimed she helped fight a war for freedom, that of racial equality? All she did was sit on a bus. Maybe you'd be offended if the gay men and women who come out and rally for gay rights claimed to be fighting a war for freedom, after all, they aren't on any battle lines.... not the kind you have in mind anyway.

Though things often get childish and petty on this forum, over all, I tale my part in these discussions very seriously, I certainly don't sift through all the nonsense for entertainment, considering I get frustrated most of the time on here.

While you'r thinking about that think about this..... Maybe, just maybe, if we actually stopped and listened to each others point of viewm once in awhile, if we treated each others words with respect, there would be far less violent wars going on.

Quote:

Haha, being a "keyboard warrior" means you aren't doing anything but wasting time online and thinking it influences anything. .
I can't speak for you, but several of my ideologies have been shaped and formed with the help of others opinions and views on these very forums. It's called getting a fresh perspective. I am always thinking about things in new ways as a result of reading others opinions here. I think about things I may not have on my own.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I hated smoke filled bars and would spend less time in them before the ban.
Sounded like you missed golden business opportunity. The bottom line is it's private establishment and the owner should be able to set the rules whether they choose smoking or non smoking. You need to make an adult decision instead of having the government make it for you, if you're not responsible enough to make your own decision you don't belong in the bar to begin with.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Child abuse is not OK and we have laws prohibiting child abuse. But you knew that.

Funny thing about that beer/malt liquor being child abuse... In Germany it would NOT be child abuse, so maybe it is more about statism, dictating one's PERSONAL views upon another.

Just a thought.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 AM

742 posts, read 678,590 times
Sounds like the absurd California laws are moving on up. Hello Californian dudes, welcome to WA, OR, ID and AK, but leave your whiny control laws at the door.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I hold my breath constantly in this witch-hunting country I live in, which class of witches are they going to hound next, all started with the Salem Witch hunt, and nothing gets Americans more excited than a witch hunt. Americans probably still don't sleep very well at night, knowing they didn't find the last Communist during the 50's/60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies