Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times

Advertisements

This kid dared to say that he's like to be able to defend his friends against bad guys... himself.

That's an attitude the liberal government cannot tolerate or leave alone. And it isn't going to.

Wait till this kid has to fill out his first Income Tax form, and/or apply for a tax exemption.

He hasn't even BEGUN to feel the pressure the state can bring onto him.

--------------------------------------

WMAL : Where Washington Comes to Talk - WMAL EXCLUSIVE: 11-Yr-Old Suspended From School For Merely TALKING About Guns

11-Yr-Old Suspended From School For Merely TALKING About Guns

5:31AM Monday, June 3, 2013
Martin Di Caro
WMAL.com

OWINGS, MD -- The father of a middle schooler in Calvert County, Md. says his 11-year-old son was suspended for 10 days for merely talking about guns on the bus ride home.

Bruce Henkelman of Huntingtown says his son, a sixth grader at Northern Middle School in Owings, was talking with friends about the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre when the bus driver hauled him back to school to be questioned by the principal, Darrel Prioleau.

"The principal told me that with what happened at Sandy Hook if you say the word 'gun' in my school you are going to get suspended for 10 days," Henkelman said in an interview with WMAL.com.
So what did the boy say? According to his father, he neither threatened nor bullied anyone.

"He said, I wish I had a gun to protect everyone. He wanted to defeat the bad guys. That's the context of what he said," Henkelman said. "He wanted to be the hero."

The boy was questioned by the principal and a sheriff's deputy, who also wanted to search the family home without a warrant, Henkelman said. "He started asking me questions about if I have firearms, and [the deputy said] he's going to have to search my house. Search my house? I just wanted to know what happened."

No search was performed, and the deputy left Henkelman's home after the father answered questions in a four-page questionnaire issued by the Sheriff's Office.

Principal Darrel Prioleau did not respond to calls and emails seeking comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,387,950 times
I would totally love it if this happened to some kid with relatives in the mob.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
10 days ? Wow. Kids beating up other kids only get 2-3 days.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Well for an 11 yr old, a bad guy could mean bully, which in that could pose an issue and worth investigating....though a 10 day suspension seems way too harsh over this.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well for an 11 yr old, a bad guy could mean bully, which in that could pose an issue and worth investigating....though a 10 day suspension seems way too harsh over this.
Stop beng paranoid.
Ever hear the saying "kids will be kids"?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And here comes the left to rationalize everything....

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
The suspension was reduced to one day in the end, but there is absolutely no reason that this child should have been punished for what he said. The principal and any other administrators should be out of a job over this one, but I'm sure they won't be.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
I guess children are exempt from the use of free speech or thinking for themselves. It's a crazy mixed up country we live in and I'm glad my kids are grown.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And here comes the left to rationalize everything....
Quite the opposite, I can understand taking him aside and questioning him over this, especially in this day and age, but I think the suspension was uncalled for.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The suspension was reduced to one day in the end, but there is absolutely no reason that this child should have been punished for what he said. The principal and any other administrators should be out of a job over this one, but I'm sure they won't be.
Well much like I think the initial suspension was uncalled for, firing the principals and other administrators would also be going overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies