Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Suspending a middle schooler for 10 days (actually the suspension was reduced, as already stated in the thread) is entirely different from losing someone 2/3 of their money. I don't think you can really compare education and finance fairly.
Yeah well, I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM

46,264 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Quite the opposite, I can understand taking him aside and questioning him over this, especially in this day and age, but I think the suspension was uncalled for.
Why? He was clearly talking about saving the children at Sandy hooks, not the bully....as you stated....

Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
This. I'm not here to rationalize anything. The school was in the wrong here.
Never said you were, and yes, the school is completely wrong, the child was talking about saving his friends (like a Sandy Hooks shooting) not a bully.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
One instance of a lapse in common sense does not warrant termination in my book. Mistakes are going to be made, but we shouldn't fire someone because of a single mistake.
Look at the entire picture, not this instance/mistake (please look at their ages also):

1. Child suspended because he chewed a pop tart into something that looked like a gun, but the child said he was trying to make his pop-tart a mountain.

Boy, suspended for chewing Pop-Tart into shape of gun, gets lifetime NRA membership * - NY Daily News

2. A child deaf child in trouble because his name when "signed" looks to much like a gun.

Deaf child's sign language name looks too much like gun, parent says school told him - U.S. News

3. 2 children suspended for making gun noises while holding a pencil....(these were 2nd graders..)

School Gun Suspension: 2nd-Grade Boys, Booted For Pointing Pencils, Return To Class

Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Do you want people running our schools ignoring warning signs for he next school shooting? If we didn't have school shootings, we wouldn't have to pay attention to warning signs.
What an ignorant leftist talking point, a 7 year old is what we are worried about? What about that pop tart gun, or mountain or what ever it was....or what about someone just saying that wanted to protect his/her friends against a Sandy Hooks incident?

Quote:
I would rather the school be proactive in finding out what the student meant rather than ignore it and find out what the student meant.
Yes, I agree, but I highly doubt the next 6 year old will be doing anything.

Oh, and what makes you think that because they are talking about a gun is going to make the "the next" school shooter?

No wonder you think the way you do....

Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
I think the principal should have told the young man that he was impressed with his attitude of public service and hoped he channeled it into becoming a fine police officer or serviceman some day. The kid shows potential but now his attitude may change. Someone needs to "catch" the principal some night in a dark parking lot and talk things over with him.....

Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Someone needs to "catch" the principal some night in a dark parking lot and talk things over with him.....
That's the attitude

Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's the attitude
As apposed to suspending a boy (how old was he?) for "talking" about saving people?

LOL...leftist mentality...

Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
This is why I am scared to death to even give my son a toy cap gun. His grandpa gave him one a few days ago and he seems to know exactly what to do with it. How, I don't know.
But I am scared. All these stories about kids talking about guns and playing war gets them kicked out of school. My son came home telling me they were playing bad guys in school. My first concern was, where they pretending to shoot each other! Can he get suspended for this typical boys behavior?
The whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I am not in favor of guns. I refuse to have one ( a real one ) in my house. But omg! Let kids, boys act like boys.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
As apposed to suspending a boy (how old was he?) for "talking" about saving people?

LOL...leftist mentality...
Leftist mentality? Wasn't it the leftist ACLU who came to this boy's defense (as well as to the boy with the sign-language name that looks like a gun)?

And come on - it's not like this a multiple chose question where either you can suspend a child for no reason or do physical violence upon a school principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies