Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,270,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
YOu would really like to see this child die?.. the lungs go to the ones who most need it..This girl needs it more than them all.
Unless you're the medical professional assessing all the patients, you get to be Janelle's Rank Hypocrisyâ„¢ runnerup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,938,173 times
Quote:
there are more adult lungs to go around.. more adults die and leave their organs.
Then why is there a waiting list at all?

People die EVERY DAY waiting for an organ transplant. EVERY DAY.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
No it doesn't. It means that this girl has a change to live. You would rather kill her off and someone else who doesn't need it as much be given to them... anyone hear of the word prioritize? If someone was hurt in an accident and one had a broken toe and the other had their head split opened who do you think would get worked on first?
And ...STILL practicing medicine without a license, further down the thread.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And what happens with the next parent that wants a "special exemption" for their child?

The transplant list requirements were set by DOCTORS.
JUDGES should not be making medical decisions.
I know what you are saying, but I am happy for the little girl. When I first heard the pleas for her to be put on the list, I thought the same. Where do we draw the line? Now, my heart just goes out to everyone that is affected by this. Not knowing the details, I wonder if she is on the list for both a child's and an adult donor? If so, there is a huge problem...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
No ... the girl has Cystic Fibrosis. The lung will merely prolong matters.

There are not enough lungs to go around .... fact. If this girl gets a lung then someone else does not.

This is a judicial death panel in operation. There are 40 people in Pennsylvania waiting for lung transplants. What makes this child more deserving than the other 39?
Because she says so. Didn't you get the memo?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,938,173 times
Quote:
Look. her doctors want to help this girl.. ask them why. I give them credence . They are the ones who know more.
And the doctors of the adult patient who WAS at the top of the list want to help that patient.

The fact is that an organ should go to the person who is the best match, with the best chance of surviving long-term. Sarah's chances for long-term survival depend on a cure for cystic fibrosis being found tomorrow. We've made progress. People are surviving much longer than they used to. But for Sarah to be so critical at 10 years old means that her CF is particularly aggressive. And that means that her digestive system and pancreas are already compromised as well. She's not just a long-shot. Even with a new lung, she's going to require round-the-clock medical care for the remainder of her short life.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM

33,594 posts, read 18,220,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Since you are so defending the judge's ruling then why don't you know ?
What differs her from everyone else on that adult list that she should get bumped to #1 spot ?
Who says she is #1.. could be blood type or so forth.. a fit that will be accepted by her body..

This girl is not home free. She has had less than 12 years on earth and enjoys life from what I see of her on the news. The legislation is outdated because they can fit adult sized lungs into 12 year olds and this girl today.

Her doctors want to help her. She has a shot but that lung may never come forth. It could be that she has waited longer than anyone on the adult list because she was on the childrens list and no donors and had to wait too long. She is critical and she was bound to die.. now she has a shot. I don't begrudge her that shot. The legislation is outdated with what the doctors can do today with fitting a child under 12 with an adult lung.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So just let her die.. is that your call? She is going to die anyway... we are all going to die sooner or later. One never knows what will happen to any of us.. I say this girl enjoys life and let her live.
For the sake of writing about it, I'm going to name the person who will now die so this girl can live "Jack."

Why do you want to murder Jack, Taratova?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM

7,993 posts, read 9,195,753 times
The decision will help kids get the SAME chance of getting a lung as an adult. That is the fairest way to do it: let medical needs determine it, not a chronological age number which often times has little correlation to size.

If we are to be fixated on age, should we knock out everyone at age 70 or above from the list? Median age is about 73, so why bother transplanting to gain just a few years as statistics would imply?

Much has been said about this child being ill from CF as a way to disqualify transplantation. All people who are on this are sick. End stage lung failure will affect your whole body. What about those with cancer? It is a systemic disease that will mostly like metastasize through the body, so should we bother with them?

IMO, there should be 1 list to draw from, the best qualified recipient should get the lung. That is THE fairest way to do it.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM

33,594 posts, read 18,220,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And the doctors of the adult patient who WAS at the top of the list want to help that patient.

The fact is that an organ should go to the person who is the best match, with the best chance of surviving long-term. Sarah's chances for long-term survival depend on a cure for cystic fibrosis being found tomorrow. We've made progress. People are surviving much longer than they used to. But for Sarah to be so critical at 10 years old means that her CF is particularly aggressive. And that means that her digestive system and pancreas are already compromised as well. She's not just a long-shot. Even with a new lung, she's going to require round-the-clock medical care for the remainder of her short life.
I can't agree with pulling the plug on such a vivacious little girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies