Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM

135 posts, read 137,551 times

Advertisements

According to conservative logic, it should. After all, it would motivate them to look, and instead of paying taxes towards welfare, the taxpayers will be spending their money, with some of that money going to the workers.

However, the number of people depending on the government to maintain their standard of living has grown so large that eliminating welfare will cause people to riot. Such riots will only empower those sustaining the said dependent life style. It's a downward cycle that can only be stopped by getting the poor to lower their standard of living...

So how exactly do you do THAT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 03:23 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
I think many people on welfare already do have jobs, they're called the working poor. Many people on welfare are probably also uneducated. Perhaps we should start with education first, that might decrease the need in the future.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
There are more people than there are jobs. The unemployment statistics you read are very misleading. In my home county, there's an agriculture city with an official unemployment rate over 20%. You really think fast food joints and big box stores are hiring that many people?

Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I think many people on welfare already do have jobs, they're called the working poor. Many people on welfare are probably also uneducated. Perhaps we should start with education first, that might decrease the need in the future.
The thing is the working poor do not have ENOUGH jobs. They are underemployed, their minimum wage doesn't support them enough to keep them off welfare.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Alot of the poor had kids they can't afford or lost their job and can't afford their kids. The rest are seniors that planned their retirement around SS and medicare. No short term solution I'm afraid.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
There are more people than there are jobs. The unemployment statistics you read are very misleading. In my home county, there's an agriculture city with an official unemployment rate over 20%. You really think fast food joints and big box stores are hiring that many people?
No they aren't and that's the problem. The poor stopped having economic mobility. Right now there are a lot of older people with minimum wage jobs, and for some reason they can't seem to move up.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Alot of the poor had kids they can't afford or lost their job and can't afford their kids. The rest are seniors that planned their retirement around SS and medicare. No short term solution I'm afraid.
What's the long term solution then? The economy seems to have clogged up on all sectors.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
No telling but things would get ugly pretty fast.

Of course, we're not gonna do that because its a stupid thing to do. All First World nations should have a decent social safety net.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
The easy way to get "the poor" off benefits, is to start making it more difficult to get benefits. For example, require that those who get benefits be drug free. The other way is simply to freeze increases in benefits or even reduce them by a small amount. If you remember, many states started forcing people off welfare, cutting benefits after being on it for so long. They also did job training. Suddenly, people started to find jobs, and this was probably one of the major reasons for the good economy in the middle 90's.

I'm sure there are many areas where jobs are hard to find, but there are also many areas where jobs are available, but people getting unemployment would rather stay home and have their check mailed to them by the govt.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM

415 posts, read 764,852 times
What I see Here, in and around Chicago as far as the trades go, its not rebounding from the 08 hit very fast at all, I hear it every day, middle class hard workers struggling to just stay a float, It has picked up slightly this spring, but still a long way to go ... I do believe we need safety nets, but flat out abuse needs to be reigned in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies