Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM

135 posts, read 137,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
There are people who want to learn and are good at it, and those who go to school (college) because people want them to. Some people aren't cut out for it, and that is fine. Honestly, I forgot much of what I was taught in public school, and I went to, arguably, some of the best public schools in the nation. I learned more about common sense than anything else. I think that helped me. And, yes, there are a lot of stupid people out there. We still have the best higher education system in the world, which is a great asset.

To a degree, yes. I graduated high school with three people who scored perfect on their ACT. Phenomenally brilliant people who all dropped out of college. To this day, they are they most intelligent people I've met and they screwed it up because they couldn't harness it. It almost happened to me, but I guess I was lucky not to score perfect.
Intelligence in today's market not only refers to your ability to learn, but to your ability to apply it to the free market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What did they do, yank your license of child support or something similar?

something similar but way stupider and lamer:

well, it's complicated and not something i did voluntarily...i had an abrupt and lengthy hospitalization...during this time my car, parked in my driveway furthest from the street and behind two other cars closer to the street, got a flurry of parking tickets because the tags were expired. well duh, i was in no position to renew them, by the time i found out about the tickets they defaulted and the fines necessarily skyrocketed...and those unpaid parking tickets got my license suspended, so i can't get a license until i get the suspension removed, which isn't going to happen unless i somehow come up with more money than i would save by switching to GEICO.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I think many people on welfare already do have jobs, they're called the working poor. Many people on welfare are probably also uneducated. Perhaps we should start with education first, that might decrease the need in the future.
This is an issue that is true. So is the fact that there are at least 3/4 people per every available job in America today. That is if you do not include those who left the job hunt.

Perhaps we should look at making say unemployment continued if people take lower wage jobs to be working poor. Let's face it. Some people have applied to low wage jobs for unemployment requirements only to pass on getting the job because of how much extra they would lose thanks to taking the lower paying job.

Quote:
You have a bachelors degree, and you still cant make an adaquate living? Man, thats pathetic..
No that is the new normal. Just ask millennials who have to pay crushing student loans on low-wage part-time jobs.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Thats a good point. I've wondered quite a bit why the WPA and the CCC weren't restarted. Lot of jobs building/repairing/updating infrastructure around the country.
We need a real leader... Believe it or not those works programs where the biggest thing Reagan liked about FDR (bipartisanship?). They gave people opportunities (albeit not at a premium wage) to learn about things like wild life, the nature, administration, human resources, etc.

We already know how inefficient it is to transport freight via transfer trucks across the nation in regards to our highways and byways. There's still railways that can still be used that were built 100 years ago and it's far more efficient to transport freight over those railways. You could literally create millions of jobs that could never be off-shored. It would have a two-fold affect on the nation. We would stop destroying the highway system and we could transport freight at a fraction of the price.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
You have a bachelors degree, and you still cant make an adaquate living? Man, thats pathetic..

A degree in the absence of career-related experience has a shelf life of five years. I had been told this a long time ago, and experienced it first-hand. my resume abruptly stopped getting responses five years after I graduated. (That was a pretty creepy experience.)

So I've been shut out of the "good-job market" for a long time now.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Thats a good point. I've wondered quite a bit why the WPA and the CCC weren't restarted. Lot of jobs building/repairing/updating infrastructure around the country.
They could work as they did in the past. But then you will have those calling it forced labor.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
The Bureau of Labor May 2013 job report showed that, as has been the trend throughout the "recovery", many of the jobs added in May were in temporary help services, food services and drinking places, and retail trade. It doesn't matter who you are, those are not high paying fields.

In contrast, the jobs lost during the recession were middle-class manufacturing and professional jobs that paid much better. So in my opinion, there is no lack of educated workers. In fact, it's got to be the over-qualified educated workers filling all those temp and food server jobs, and then needing food stamps just to survive.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No that is the new normal. Just ask millennials who have to pay crushing student loans on low-wage part-time jobs.
But the discussion is those who get free education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
something similar but way stupider and lamer:

well, it's complicated and not something i did voluntarily...i had an abrupt and lengthy hospitalization...during this time my car, parked in my driveway furthest from the street and behind two other cars closer to the street, got a flurry of parking tickets because the tags were expired. well duh, i was in no position to renew them, by the time i found out about the tickets they defaulted and the fines necessarily skyrocketed...and those unpaid parking tickets got my license suspended, so i can't get a license until i get the suspension removed, which isn't going to happen unless i somehow come up with more money than i would save by switching to GEICO.
Have you even appealed the tickets to the judge, or did you just roll over and accept them?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
They could work as they did in the past. But then you will have those calling it forced labor.

want more jobs in the USA?

tax the crap out of companies that have the majority of their factories outside of the USA and make it so any company that has their factories inside the USA to be paying no corporate tax at all.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A degree in the absence of career-related experience has a shelf life of five years. I had been told this a long time ago, and experienced it first-hand. my resume abruptly stopped getting responses five years after I graduated. (That was a pretty creepy experience.)

So I've been shut out of the "good-job market" for a long time now.
Adapt. over come. Learn. Apply yourself to something besides finding reasons you can't succeed.
How many jobs do you work? work to pay the bills and work to save money. It sucks but it will eventually produce results.
Staff management is a contractor in the Mill I work. They start at 12.00 an hour. allowed to work 1000 hrs.
I watch these kids work for staff and then hit the walmart or McDonalds as a second job. 2 part time jobs if you will.
Gas industry is always hiring. They pay big.
Options are out there sometimes they are not ideal, but they are out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies