Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
They could work as they did in the past. But then you will have those calling it forced labor.
It's not forced labor unless you consider people wanting to eat accepting a works program job as "forced."

Personally, I don't think the politicians of today have the guts. It's easier to give away freebies than it is to ask for something in return for that help.

With the right leader it could easily be presented to the public and it would garner overwhelming support from everyone except those who wanted a free ride. They, of course, would have to present their position to the American public and see if they were all for no-strings-attached handouts.

I'm not asking paraplegics to be digging ditches either, that's just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
want more jobs in the USA?

tax the crap out of companies that have the majority of their factories outside of the USA and make it so any company that has their factories inside the USA to be paying no corporate tax at all.
I am all for that as well as passing trade treaties that level the playing field for our exports.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM

135 posts, read 137,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Bureau of Labor May 2013 job report showed that, as has been the trend throughout the "recovery", many of the jobs added in May were in temporary help services, food services and drinking places, and retail trade. It doesn't matter who you are, those are not high paying fields.

In contrast, the jobs lost during the recession were middle-class manufacturing and professional jobs that paid much better. So in my opinion, there is no lack of educated workers. In fact, it's got to be the over-qualified educated workers filling all those temp and food server jobs.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
A truly educated worker in a financial market that gives businesses the ability to get loans, would be able to find ways to innovate and START A BUSINESS! The fact is, if people kept capitalism in mind when getting their education, they'd be better off, instead of having the mentality of, I need an education to get a job.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
I am all for that as well as passing trade treaties that level the playing field for our exports.

I will agree with that as well.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Will eliminating welfare benefits help the poor get motivated enough to get a job?
Yes.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's not forced labor unless you consider people wanting to eat accepting a works program jobs as "forced."

Personally I don't think the politicians of today have the guts. It's easier to give away freebies than it is to ask for something in return for that help.

With the right leader it could easily be presented to the public and it would garner overwhelming support from everyone except those who wanted a free ride. They, of course, would have to present their position to the American public and see if they were all for no-strings-attached handouts.

I'm not asking paraplegics to be digging ditches either, that's just silly.
I agree completely and I am 100% for a WPA like program. I am also for anyone living in low income housing to assume the role of maintenance of their units. Where I live we pay people to cut the grass and remove snow from their side walks......

Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
I agree completely and I am 100% for a WPA like program. I am also for anyone living in low income housing to assume the role of maintenance of their units. Where I live we pay people to cut the grass and remove snow from their side walks......
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off on the attack if that's the way I came off.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off on the attack if that's the way I came off.
Never took it as an attack I only wanted to state my position better.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I graduated high school with three people who scored perfect on their ACT. Phenomenally brilliant people who all dropped out of college. To this day, they are they most intelligent people I've met and they screwed it up because they couldn't harness it.
You know, there is something to that. I know someone who won a full scholarship to UnivIllinois, graduated and never did one significant thing afterwards. His best job was part-time as a library clerk for a few years. I always wondered about him.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
Intelligence in today's market not only refers to your ability to learn, but to your ability to apply it to the free market.
Who ya know, not what ya now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies