Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM

135 posts, read 137,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
i have major financial issues which prevent me from getting a license, i already know how to drive.
Why did you get involved in those financial issues?

...A license costs less than 100 dollars here, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
Our scientific progress can make us just as employed as it can make us unemployed. If people took the time to educate themselves, we could make enough innovation to provide services to the rest of the world.
"If"

How should people educate themselves?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
It depending on the person welfare and why. the vary fact that so many are on its for wrong reasons means that those needing it like disabled etc are being cheated by them. There is little doubt that welfare has created a system of unsustainable future going forward at this point and endangers those who really need it getting it in future. they also get less help than they could get otherwise. Its just greed like anything else. Elimination if it comes will be because it has become a corrupt system.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
I wonder how many who say get a job have got a job in the past year or so. And I don't mean something like McDonalds or WalMart. Or part-time/temp. Instead, real jobs with real benefits. Those kind are hard to come by these days especially if you are over 50.

My neighbor has been unemployed since last Oct. After 20 years with the same company. He has looked everywhere and has found nothing. That with an MBA from Harvard. I've read that if you are over 50 and jobless for more than 1 year your chances of finding anything comparable to what you had (even with a large reduction in pay) is 9%. It doesn't matter what you did or what your education level is its still 9%.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
there you go again (TMRR)...most of the long-term unemployed do not receive food stamps or welfare,
The thread topic is about welfare is it not?
You seem to have a host of reasons why you unfairly are not allowed to succeed.
How many jobs do you work? What jobs are you willing to do or not do?
Relocation seems to be out of the question for you. Why?
The world will never pause long enough for you to step on. Either you become aggressive in your endeavor or suffer for your hesitation. I don't know what to tell you.
I grew up dirt poor. HS education. But I worked and worked a lot. I am poor no more. Millions have done what I have done. Many do it today.
How do so many immigrants come here with next to nothing and yet work their way out of poverty? They face challenges you never had to face.
I try not to judge you, but let me give you some free advice. Dig in, work 2 or 3 jobs and claw your way out of that hole you seem to be in.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
"If"

How should people educate themselves?
By taking learning seriously as children. It's up to the parents to make sure of that. The parents can learn by first figuring out how is it they learn, and then using that to get marketable skills.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
According to conservative logic, it should. After all, it would motivate them to look, and instead of paying taxes towards welfare, the taxpayers will be spending their money, with some of that money going to the workers.

However, the number of people depending on the government to maintain their standard of living has grown so large that eliminating welfare will cause people to riot. Such riots will only empower those sustaining the said dependent life style. It's a downward cycle that can only be stopped by getting the poor to lower their standard of living...

So how exactly do you do THAT?
Well, their SOL of living is already decreasing along with everyone's. Don't believe me look at what the dollar was worth in 1913 compared to today... In 100 years it's dropped 97%. It's not quite 1% per year but it's certainly approaching that.

Anyways, WWHHD? What Would Homo Habilis Do?

With a brain about half the size of Homo Sapien Sapien, they still knew enough to move where the resources where, where the food was. That doesn't say a whole heck of a lot for today's "enlightened" people.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-12-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I wonder how many who say get a job have got a job in the past year or so. And I don't mean something like McDonalds or WalMart. Or part-time/temp. Instead, real jobs with real benefits. Those kind are hard to come by these days especially if you are over 50.

My neighbor has been unemployed since last Oct. After 20 years with the same company. He has looked everywhere and has found nothing. That with an MBA from Harvard. I've read that if you are over 50 and jobless for more than 1 year your chances of finding anything comparable to what you had (even with a large reduction in pay) is 9%. It doesn't matter what you did or what your education level is its still 9%.
Are his skills up to date though? Does he know modern management skills and how a business works in modern times?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
By taking learning seriously as children. It's up to the parents to make sure of that. The parents can learn by first figuring out how is it they learn, and then using that to get marketable skills.
Okay. I agree. For those who are smart enough, anyway.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well, their SOL of living is already decreasing along with everyone's. Don't believe me look at what the dollar was worth in 1913 compared to today... In 100 years is dropped 97%. It's not quite 1% per year but it's certainly approaching that.

Anyways, WWHHD? What Would Homo Habilis Do?

With a brain about half the size of Homo Sapien Sapien, they still knew enough to move where the resources where, where the food was. That doesn't say a whole heck of a lot for today's "enlightened" people.
That's what this thread is about. Right now, many people know that the government gives them food if they vote a certain way. What I am asking is, if the government stopped giving food, will the people die of starvation, or will they adjust and go to where the food is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies