Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM

293 posts, read 250,295 times

Advertisements

Con's back the Spurs, eh

Have just one thing to say about that ...

GO HEAT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Poll: Most Americans Cheering For Spurs In Finals « CBS Miami
This is the kind of thing I find fascinating. PPP did a poll to find out who favors which team in the current NBA finals. While Americans overall like the Spurs, Obama supporters favor them by a scant 28-25 margin. Romney voters favor the Spurs by a 37-15 margin, while 'very conservative' people favor the Spurs by an even more lopsided 42-15. Numbers are less than 100%--presumably the rest had no opinion. 42-15 is just under a 3-1 margin.

Speaking for myself, I would call myself very conservative, and am rooting for the Spurs. Part of it goes back to David Robinson, former Spur, former Navy officer, patriot, and all around good guy. Part of it is the idea that the Heat 'jumped the queue' to build their team. I don't know if jumping the queue is a liberal value, but the fact is that for some reason, libs have warmed up to the Heat much more than cons. Anybody have any theories as to why?
Probably has to do with Miami being very flashy and being heavy favorites whereas San Antonio is less flashy and has a more cerebral game.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
I'm a spurs fan. I'm not conservative. You guys should stop trying to bring a political slant to everything.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Conservatives overwhelmingly favor the San Antonio Spurs over the Miami Heat. Why is this?

Because Manu Genobli ranks right up there with Davy Crockett.

Well, I heard that said on ESPN

How many foreign nationals play on your fave team?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Conservatives overwhelmingly favor the San Antonio Spurs over the Miami Heat. Why is this?

Because Manu Genobli ranks right up there with Davy Crockett.

Well, I heard that said on ESPN

How many foreign nationals play on your fave team?
Poppowitz says foreigners work harder than Americans, and sure enough, none of the Spurs Big-3 were born in US. More than half of the entire Spurs roster are non-Americans.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM

26,535 posts, read 15,102,432 times
Texas is a very conservative state in a conservative region might help add to it.

I think most Americans favoring the Spurs comes from the under-dog appeal against the Heat.

I don't follow the NBA much and don't dislike either team or the players, but I want the Spurs to win based on seeing the underdog - albeit a very strong one, beat the team that was assembled with the elite players.

I don't mind Lebron and thinks he gets unfair criticism.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Who in the hell cares oh please. People have a right to root for the team they want to win, for whatever reasons, whether we like it or not. Who cares. This is a post why.

I'm republician who usually like the spurs, nope right now i want the Heat to win, i just want the heat and this is my damn choice whether some like it or not.

People make too many deals today out of nothing, while living and breathing in American, we still have some choices left.

I'm a die hard laker fan at heart, but the team, and i am honest was **** this year, and a disapointmnet. So i am rooting for the Heat, and that is my choice. You don't have to like it or hate it, i really could care less.
You say you don't care, but you're on this thread. If you don't care, ignore it.

I think it is interesting on an intellectual basis when there is a clear different in public opinion.

My theory on conservative support for the Spurs is that they are the ultimate no-fuss, no-diva team. Conservatives generally do not respect Hollywood types or those that seek attention. You'll never see Jack Nicholson on the court in San Antonio. Everything about the Spurs is the opposite of a team like the Lakers. Nothing celebrity about them. But they play great basketball as a team.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Texas is a very conservative state in a conservative region might help add to it.
San Antonio is fairly liberal.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
San Antonio is fairly liberal.

Regardless of state or region, you can make that case for just about any major city in the country. It does seem most major cities tend to lean left regardless of whether or not they are in a "red state" or "blue state." Even in southern Ohio which tends to be more conservative than northern Ohio, Cincinnati and Columbus usually tend to lean left. Now, that isn't necessarily true for some of the outlying suburbs for those areas. The same could be said for the Cleveland area.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You say you don't care, but you're on this thread. If you don't care, ignore it.

I think it is interesting on an intellectual basis when there is a clear different in public opinion.

My theory on conservative support for the Spurs is that they are the ultimate no-fuss, no-diva team. Conservatives generally do not respect Hollywood types or those that seek attention. You'll never see Jack Nicholson on the court in San Antonio. Everything about the Spurs is the opposite of a team like the Lakers. Nothing celebrity about them. But they play great basketball as a team.
I think this is it, no fuss, no divas. They just sound like conservative material. And yeah, I've been wondering, where's Nicholson, where's Whuppy Goldberg? Right... no glamour, no show.

Maybe that's why this series has been so good. And my extended family had its roots in San Antone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies