Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 AM

366 posts, read 645,447 times

Advertisements

Fact: despite accounting for 17% of the populace. Hispanics primarily Mexicans in the Southwest account for 60-67% of all interracial relationships yearly.

Whites only married Hispanics in the states of California, Texas, Nevada and Colorado when they did marry out in America. The largest share of white interracial unions happened in this area of America. Nearly everywhere else in the USA whites had numbers as low as 9 in every 1000 marriages being interracial. The rates of white interracial marriages in the Southwest was almost triple as it was in any other region. By far the largest share of white interracial relationships was located here.

Places like NY, the East, South had such few numbers of whites marrying out that if the Southwest didn't bolster white interracial marriage , statistically whites would have nearly no interracial marriages at all in America.

As an example: There are more white/Latino marriages in California than their are black/white across the entire USA.

Yearly on average 50% of all unions that are interracial are between whites and Hispanics. Another 11-17% of "other interracial unions" involved 1 Hispanic partner.

My question is this: why do white Americans have such an aversion to Asians and Blacks and others, in differing parts of the USA while having huge shares of their communities marrying Hispanics in the Southwest? Why do Hispanics have an almost negative number of marriages to blacks and Asians? while having a 90% chance of marrying a white person when they do marry out? clearly their are racial preferences in dating in the USA, with certain races doing the majority of the mixing. Are the thoughts on race similar between Mestizos and Whites?

<primarily Mexicans & whites and Mexicans and others> and most likely to be found in the Southwest of the USA. >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,752 times
I am the product of such a marriage. Whites and Mexicans have been mixing it up in California for a long, long time.

They have more in common than people realize, especially if we're talking about Americanized Mexican-Americans. Dodgers baseball? Los Lakers? Monday Night Football? Classic cars? Classic rock and oldies? Backyard BBQ? Check, check, check, check, check, and check, aaaaaand I could go on and on.

Catholicism sweetens the pot, which is why you'll see a lot of Sullivans and Kowalskis mixing it up with Sanchezes and Garcias. Your cranky old Irish Catholic granny will object a lot less if you bring home Jill Ramirez who prays to the Virgin every night and keeps a rosary in her purse than if you bring home Jenny Chang whose family puts trays of food in front of a statue of some shirtless fat dude, or Carla Jones who goes to a church where the preacher jumps up and down and hollers.

Also, out West I get the impression that Catholic parishes aren't as ethnically specific as they are back East (unless you're in an area that is almost all Mexican/Latino, like East L.A.). Out West, anybody who's Catholic will go to whatever Catholic church is in the area, so a congregation will end up being half Mexican half white or something, with maybe a sprinkling of Filipinos. Whereas if you're in a town like Chicago or Cleveland, the Italians go to one church, the Hungarians go to another church, the Irish go to another church, etc. Maybe it was more like that back in the day than it is now, but I don't know that it was ever like that in California unless it was the 1930s or something.

Basically, in California, Mexicans are seen by whites as being "closer" to them than are blacks or Asians. Both culturally and in terms of physical appearance. Especially if we're talking about Mexican-Americans as opposed to recent immigrants. They also tend to come into more contact. Blacks and Asians are more likely to stick to their own communities; there are blacks that mix it up with everyone else but they're fewer and further between. Whereas Mexicans are pretty much everywhere that whites are (unless you're way up in the Sierras or way north of the Bay/Sacramento) and have been for a long time. There's also a lot more Mexicans than there are blacks or Asians, so in terms of it being a numbers game, they'll come out ahead on just that alone.

If we're talking about teenagers, I don't think Mexican kids catch as much flak for "acting white" as their black counterparts do. That includes being into white music, hanging with white people, dressing white, etc. A black kid wearing skinny jeans and listening to indie music has to watch his ass in a black neighborhood. A Mexican kid, not nearly so much. Now, as for Asians, I think Asian girls get with white guys more frequently than Mexican girls do, but again, in terms of sheer numbers, Mexicans outnumber Asians and have been mixing it up for longer, and a Mexican guy is more likely to get a white girl than an Asian guy is. (Long story.)

One last thing. Sure, grandpa over in Arizona hates Mexicans and is always ranting about them on the internet, but his grandson back in the San Fernando Valley sure doesn't. Especially when some fine brown thing named Isabella catches his eye. Sorry grandpa.

Proximity (culture, physical looks, and geographic location) and sheer numbers, basically.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I am the product of such a marriage. Whites and Mexicans have been mixing it up in California for a long, long time.

They have more in common than people realize, especially if we're talking about Americanized Mexican-Americans. Dodgers baseball? Los Lakers? Monday Night Football? Classic cars? Classic rock and oldies? Backyard BBQ? Check, check, check, check, check, and check, aaaaaand I could go on and on.

Catholicism sweetens the pot, which is why you'll see a lot of Sullivans and Kowalskis mixing it up with Sanchezes and Garcias. Your cranky old Irish Catholic granny will object a lot less if you bring home Jill Ramirez who prays to the Virgin every night and keeps a rosary in her purse than if you bring home Jenny Chang whose family puts trays of food in front of a statue of some shirtless fat dude, or Carla Jones who goes to a church where the preacher jumps up and down and hollers.

Also, out West I get the impression that Catholic parishes aren't as ethnically specific as they are back East (unless you're in an area that is almost all Mexican/Latino, like East L.A.). Out West, anybody who's Catholic will go to whatever Catholic church is in the area, so a congregation will end up being half Mexican half white or something, with maybe a sprinkling of Filipinos. Whereas if you're in a town like Chicago or Cleveland, the Italians go to one church, the Hungarians go to another church, the Irish go to another church, etc. Maybe it was more like that back in the day than it is now, but I don't know that it was ever like that in California unless it was the 1930s or something.

Basically, in California, Mexicans are seen by whites as being "closer" to them than are blacks or Asians. Both culturally and in terms of physical appearance. Especially if we're talking about Mexican-Americans as opposed to recent immigrants. They also tend to come into more contact. Blacks and Asians are more likely to stick to their own communities; there are blacks that mix it up with everyone else but they're fewer and further between. Whereas Mexicans are pretty much everywhere that whites are (unless you're way up in the Sierras or way north of the Bay/Sacramento) and have been for a long time. There's also a lot more Mexicans than there are blacks or Asians, so in terms of it being a numbers game, they'll come out ahead on just that alone.

If we're talking about teenagers, I don't think Mexican kids catch as much flak for "acting white" as their black counterparts do. That includes being into white music, hanging with white people, dressing white, etc. A black kid wearing skinny jeans and listening to indie music has to watch his ass in a black neighborhood. A Mexican kid, not nearly so much. Now, as for Asians, I think Asian girls get with white guys more frequently than Mexican girls do, but again, in terms of sheer numbers, Mexicans outnumber Asians and have been mixing it up for longer, and a Mexican guy is more likely to get a white girl than an Asian guy is. (Long story.)

One last thing. Sure, grandpa over in Arizona hates Mexicans and is always ranting about them on the internet, but his grandson back in the San Fernando Valley sure doesn't. Especially when some fine brown thing named Isabella catches his eye. Sorry grandpa.

Proximity (culture, physical looks, and geographic location) and sheer numbers, basically.
Personally, I don't see a cultural or physical similarity between non-Hispanic whites and mestizo-Hispanic/Mexican. I am not against inter-racial or bi-cultural relationships however. One should be able to have one with anyone they choose. I have found though that when a non-Hispanic white marries a Hispanic they tend to adopt the Hispanic culture and viewpoint rather than the other way around. I wonder why that is? Hmm.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Growing up in the Midwest in the 60's and 70's, we never really thought of Hispanic as a separate race, any more than Jewish or Italian. Spain is after all a European country. You could say we were thinking in terms of "white Hispanic" long before the NYT ever called George Zimmerman that. Hence a Hispanic-white marriage would not have been considered inter-racial where I came from.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Growing up in the Midwest in the 60's and 70's, we never really thought of Hispanic as a separate race, any more than Jewish or Italian. Spain is after all a European country. You could say we were thinking in terms of "white Hispanic" long before the NYT ever called George Zimmerman that. Hence a Hispanic-white marriage would not have been considered inter-racial where I came from.
Hispanic isn't a race but a culture but many of those from south of our border then to be a combination of white (Spanish) and native indian so they are called mestizos.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Hispanic's NOT a "race". Even some Mexicans ARE "white". When it gets right down to it: if there was NO such place as "Mexico" and its land was part of the US; the Aztec, Mayan and so on would be tribes of American Indians like the Navajo, Apache and so on.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Fact: despite accounting for 17% of the populace. Hispanics primarily Mexicans in the Southwest account for 60-67% of all interracial relationships yearly.

Whites only married Hispanics in the states of California, Texas, Nevada and Colorado when they did marry out in America. The largest share of white interracial unions happened in this area of America. Nearly everywhere else in the USA whites had numbers as low as 9 in every 1000 marriages being interracial. The rates of white interracial marriages in the Southwest was almost triple as it was in any other region. By far the largest share of white interracial relationships was located here.

Places like NY, the East, South had such few numbers of whites marrying out that if the Southwest didn't bolster white interracial marriage , statistically whites would have nearly no interracial marriages at all in America.

As an example: There are more white/Latino marriages in California than their are black/white across the entire USA.

Yearly on average 50% of all unions that are interracial are between whites and Hispanics. Another 11-17% of "other interracial unions" involved 1 Hispanic partner.

My question is this: why do white Americans have such an aversion to Asians and Blacks and others, in differing parts of the USA while having huge shares of their communities marrying Hispanics in the Southwest? Why do Hispanics have an almost negative number of marriages to blacks and Asians? while having a 90% chance of marrying a white person when they do marry out? clearly their are racial preferences in dating in the USA, with certain races doing the majority of the mixing. Are the thoughts on race similar between Mestizos and Whites?

<primarily Mexicans & whites and Mexicans and others> and most likely to be found in the Southwest of the USA. >
This is why the Dems counting on Latinos in the long term is an error. Many of them will simply be absorbed into the White hegemony, especially the middle class oriented.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
A union of a Latino and a non-Latino is not anymore "interracial" than many unions between Latinos themselves are interracial! (A Dominican and a Mexican, for example, would most likely be notably "interracial")

Around these parts there are tons of inter-ETHNIC (or, rather, inter-CULTURAL) marriages between "Hispanic" people and non-Hispanic people.

Re: White people "marrying out"... I know whites have the lowest rates of out-marriage, but I'm not sure the OP's stats are correct, since I've read in the past that white guys and Asian female rates are very high.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
The reason for unions in the first place, was to keep the blacks from taking the Whiteman's job.
Go do your research on unions.

Now it is the illegals and Hispanics, taking the Whiteman's job, and the Unions embrace it, because it gives them more power than the Whiteman had over labor.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-21-2013 at 03:44 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The reason for unions in the first place, was to keep the blacks from taking the Whiteman's job.
Go do your research on unions.

Now it is the illegals and Hispanics, taking the Whiteman's job, and the Unions embrace it, because it gives them more power than the Whiteman had over labor.

Wrong kind of union!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-21-2013 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies