Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Mom's the pride of Bocas Del Toro, Panama and she and my father met there while he was stationed at Ft. Clayton.
Nice. My mom's folks are from Baracoa, Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM

199 posts, read 161,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
Personally, I don't think it's anything personal. I'd say most people under 40 don't really give a damn about race, but the issue is the older relatives on both the black and white side. It can be a hassle, a pain in the ass, all the things that being new in love should not be.

I see blacks and whites kind of being like girls and boys at the Catholic school dance. Many of us want to dance with each other, but we just don't have the nerve to do so. I expect such feelings to wane as time goes on.
Don't bet on it. Besides, what do we gain from such a union? This is exactly what I meant 2 posts ago.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Nice. My mom's folks are from Baracoa, Cuba.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
OP spoke chiefly about marriages between white Americans and mestizo Mexicans or Mexican Americans in the Southwest.

If you look at relationships on the East Coast between African Americans and Puerto Ricans (and later, Panamanians, Cubans and Dominicans), you will see a much different picture. African Americans have been marrying Caribbean Latinos, who more than often are black or mixed, in large numbers for most of the last century. I come from such a marriage.
This is true but I wonder if it had more to do with their being a dearth of alternative mating choices? I noticed when I lived in NYC that not too many Dominicans married African Americans. Of course this is completely anecdotal but I suspect since large swaths of NYC are dominated by Dominicans the need to marry outside the Dominican cultural group has diminished.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
Personally, I don't think it's anything personal. I'd say most people under 40 don't really give a damn about race, but the issue is the older relatives on both the black and white side. It can be a hassle, a pain in the ass, all the things that being new in love should not be.

I see blacks and whites kind of being like girls and boys at the Catholic school dance. Many of us want to dance with each other, but we just don't have the nerve to do so. I expect such feelings to wane as time goes on.
Oh they care they've just been trained to be polite about it.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Correct, and once again black people are going to suffer for it. Why? because we are too busy trying to rub shoulders with non blacks instead of getting our house in order.
I've been saying this for years this obsession Blacks have in sticking it to whitey and allying with people to support causes that undermine their own self-interests will be its doom. There is no legitimate reason for African Americans to openly support amnesty and mass immigration in general. Traditionally African Americans were a lot savvier and were big proponents of the 1924 Immigration Act.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
When it comes to middle class folks, there aren't many cultural differences between Hispanics and Anglo Whites; and in the Southwest, there's a large degree of familiarity as well.
I don't think that class has anything to do with it. Hispanics whom are mostly from Mexican ancestry in this country still have a different culture and language than non-Hispanic whites. I think that non-Hispanic whites have more in common with black-Americans. At least I feel that I do.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is true but I wonder if it had more to do with their being a dearth of alternative mating choices? I noticed when I lived in NYC that not too many Dominicans married African Americans. Of course this is completely anecdotal but I suspect since large swaths of NYC are dominated by Dominicans the need to marry outside the Dominican cultural group has diminished.
I have seen some AA-Dominican marriages, but many, many more AA-Puerto Rican combinations. You see a lot of self-identifying African Americans with 1 or 2 PR grandparents in the New York/NJ/Phila. corridor. As far as Dominicans are concerned, though most are black, there is enough of an anti-black strain in the culture that they stay away from identifying with anything racial or cultural with a black connotation. So many Dominicans are endogamous, but others, especially the women, try to marry whites. I know some Dominican women who won't date Latino or AA men -just white.

As far as Puerto Ricans go, there has always been a large Puerto Rican population on the East Coast for the better part of the last century. There have always been plenty of Puerto Ricans for them all to marry within their community, but they have always been just as interested in partners of other ethnicities as their own.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've been saying this for years this obsession Blacks have in sticking it to whitey and allying with people to support causes that undermine their own self-interests will be its doom. There is no legitimate reason for African Americans to openly support amnesty and mass immigration in general. Traditionally African Americans were a lot savvier and were big proponents of the 1924 Immigration Act.
Agreed and we need to get back to what kept us through that era.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
. I think that non-Hispanic whites have more in common with black-Americans. At least I feel that I do.
Umm, like what ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies